Old 18-02-2018, 04:18 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

EQ8 or will EQ6-R do?

Hello all
I currently image with a 6" steel tube RC on my HEQ5 and it performs well.
I would like to upgrade to a 10"RC (probably steel tube $$$$).
Obviously I will need a mount upgrade.

A EQ8 will easily do the job with its 50kg payload capacity priced at $5500.
The EQ6-R is rated at 20kg and cost is $2100.
The steel RC10 is about 17kg. Plus 1.7kg for my camera,filter wheel etc. and a bit more for a moonlite so that maxes out the EQ6-R pretty much. Guiding with this weight at 2000mm focal length I am guessing will be problematic.

So the easy (but expensive) answer is get an EQ8 (even with there faults and quirks).
Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 18-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Certainly too much for EQ6, if you would like to take advantage of the bigger telescope's optics. IMO it defies the purpose to over-mount for astro-imaging and get bloated stars in images due to poor guiding. Since you are probably upgrading the scope to get more resolution in your images, a stronger mount is needed.
Old 18-02-2018, 06:43 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Hi Jeremy,
Are you fixed on RC10? What about a RC8, which can be handled by EQ6.
Have you looked at Celestron CGX as an alternative?
Bo
Old 18-02-2018, 07:08 PM
glend (Glen)

The CGX has a 25kg imaging payload, the EQ6 won't get near that for imaging. The CGX is also over $2k cheaper than the EQ8, and is field capable.
Old 18-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Alternative idea.

Have you thought of getting an additional camera with smaller pixels and say an 8" CF f/5 newt? (weight = 8kg). That would still be fine to mount on your HEQ5 (and cost less than the steel RC10). With the $$ you save on the new mount, you can get an ASI1600 (weight = 500g) that will give you an image scale of 0.78 arcsec/pixel. Compare this with a RC10 f/8 with your current QHY9 and you'd be sampling at 0.7 arcsec/pixel. Almost identical, but the latter will be a lot more costly, and because the RC is photographically much slower, it will mean much longer subs (and so potential guiding issues).

Just a thought anyway...
Old 18-02-2018, 08:41 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Jeremy

I just bumped up from the RC8 to the RC10 Truss (Not too much different in weight from the steel RC10 version)and its quite a bit heavier. Still commissioning it now (Poxy skies)and I dread tinkering with the balance!

With the 2000FL you are at some point going to want to go OAG which is going to extend the imaging train a tad. This means you either need a longer saddle or you will want more wait on the nose to get the balance so more wait on the mount. You want to avoid adding a guide scope..

If you can pick up a bigger spec mount, go for it. Could be pushing the EQ6/EQ6-R a bit.

on the plus side, you will be ready for the 14 you will definitely want next..once yo0u start going up..

The 10" by the way has an increased light gathering capability of 1.67 over the 8" so 2 inches will make quite a difference. Just note that the more recent GSO Truss scopes have the "a" on the end and resolved the focuser hanging off the back of the mirror issue..Dont know if that applied to the steel ones.

enjoy
Old 19-02-2018, 04:45 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Hello and thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Certainly too much for EQ6, if you would like to take advantage of the bigger telescope's optics. IMO it defies the purpose to over-mount for astro-imaging and get bloated stars in images due to poor guiding. Since you are probably upgrading the scope to get more resolution in your images, a stronger mount is needed.
Thanks. Even as I typed the query, I knew the EQ6-R wouldn't handle that load for imaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Hi Jeremy,
Are you fixed on RC10? What about a RC8, which can be handled by EQ6.
Have you looked at Celestron CGX as an alternative?
Bo
I am fixed on a RC10, going from my 6 to 10 is a step up but from the 6 to 8, not so much in my opinion.
I dismissed Celestron early on as I use EQMOD. Although I do use SGP so it wouldn't need EQMOD????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Alternative idea.

Have you thought of getting an additional camera with smaller pixels and say an 8" CF f/5 newt? (weight = 8kg). That would still be fine to mount on your HEQ5 (and cost less than the steel RC10). With the $$ you save on the new mount, you can get an ASI1600 (weight = 500g) that will give you an image scale of 0.78 arcsec/pixel. Compare this with a RC10 f/8 with your current QHY9 and you'd be sampling at 0.7 arcsec/pixel. Almost identical, but the latter will be a lot more costly, and because the RC is photographically much slower, it will mean much longer subs (and so potential guiding issues).

Just a thought anyway...
And a good thought it is! Hmmm more to ponder with that. Maybe I should still get a RC10 AND a Asi1600!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Hi Jeremy

I just bumped up from the RC8 to the RC10 Truss (Not too much different in weight from the steel RC10 version)and its quite a bit heavier. Still commissioning it now (Poxy skies)and I dread tinkering with the balance!

With the 2000FL you are at some point going to want to go OAG which is going to extend the imaging train a tad. This means you either need a longer saddle or you will want more wait on the nose to get the balance so more wait on the mount. You want to avoid adding a guide scope..

If you can pick up a bigger spec mount, go for it. Could be pushing the EQ6/EQ6-R a bit.

on the plus side, you will be ready for the 14 you will definitely want next..once yo0u start going up..

The 10" by the way has an increased light gathering capability of 1.67 over the 8" so 2 inches will make quite a difference. Just note that the more recent GSO Truss scopes have the "a" on the end and resolved the focuser hanging off the back of the mirror issue..Dont know if that applied to the steel ones.

enjoy
Gday Dave
I already guide with an OAG so should be good on that front.
As much as I would like a RC-A truss, the budget won't stretch that far. Shame because apart from anything else they just look do damn cool!
Moonlite sell a flange isolation thingy for the RC's so may look at that. Having said that I haven't seen a problem with my RC6.

So it looks like stumping up for a EQ8 is the much better, long term solution........

Thank you
Jeremy
Old 19-02-2018, 04:47 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The CGX has a 25kg imaging payload, the EQ6 won't get near that for imaging. The CGX is also over $2k cheaper than the EQ8, and is field capable.
Thanks Glen
I read on cloudy nights somewhere that the 25kg load for the CGX is really pushing it? Could be wrong, I usually am.
I will look into it more.
Cheers