Old 11-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Marke (Mark)

Looking for my next upgrade scope

Looking to up size a little to do more planetary and smaller galaxy imaging and trying to decide which way to go . I seem to have 3 options a C11 XLT or Edge , a GSO RC12 or as an outsider a 12" Newt f/5 .
All have there pluses and minuses but I swinging toward the C11 Edge for its contrast, cooling and f/10 I already have an RC10 .
Old 11-07-2018, 07:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Looking to up size a little to do more planetary and smaller galaxy imaging and trying to decide which way to go . I seem to have 3 options a C11 XLT or Edge , a GSO RC12 or as an outsider a 12" Newt f/5 .
All have there pluses and minuses but I swinging toward the C11 Edge for its contrast, cooling and f/10 I already have an RC10 .
The C11 is a good contender. Have you had a look at the TAK Mewlons?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The C11 is a good contender. Have you had a look at the TAK Mewlons?
I haven't Marc mainly because of price and availability I am aware of them.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If you want to do DSOs then the Edge is definitely going to be what you want. A 12” F/5 newt can do very well but their mechanics leave a lot to be desired.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
If you want to do DSOs then the Edge is definitely going to be what you want. A 12” F/5 newt can do very well but their mechanics leave a lot to be desired.
The Newt would be a complete rebuild which I am ok with as they are cheap its just at f/5 there's not enough reach. Wish I could extend the budget to a c14 but would rather upgrade my mount getting into that sort of money. Wondering if the XLT may be enough as there is a $2k price difference
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
The Newt would be a complete rebuild which I am ok with as they are cheap its just at f/5 there's not enough reach. Wish I could extend the budget to a c14 but would rather upgrade my mount getting into that sort of money. Wondering if the XLT may be enough as there is a $2k price difference
I'd say the XLT is more than enough for planetary. You don't need a flat field edge to edge to do planetary provided you keep the subject reasonably on axis.
SCT are easier to manage and collimate than Newt. Also plenty of backfocus and no balance issues.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
I'd say the XLT is more than enough for planetary. You don't need a flat field edge to edge to do planetary provided you keep the subject reasonably on axis.
SCT are easier to manage and collimate than Newt. Also plenty of backfocus and no balance issues.
What about for small DSO Marc how bad is the curvature ? I use to have a 9.25 but cant remember what it was like you have a C11 dont you ?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
What about for small DSO Marc how bad is the curvature ? I use to have a 9.25 but cant remember what it was like you have a C11 dont you ?
Still works. Mine is an XLT originaly. The field curvature is not that bad if you're in focus. I also have a corrector but ended up not using it much. When you image at 3m FL you're interested in getting details on axis close up anyway. You don't care much about a wide and perfectly flat FOV. That's what the FSQs are for. I love my C11. Will never sell it. It has its place. Aperture and FL. And a great visual scope as well.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Still works. Mine is an XLT originaly. The field curvature is not that bad if you're in focus. I also have a corrector but ended up not using it much. When you image at 3m FL you're interested in getting details on axis close up anyway. You don't care much about a wide and perfectly flat FOV. That's what the FSQs are for. I love my C11. Will never sell it. It has its place. Aperture and FL. And a great visual scope as well.
Thanks mate pretty much what i thought . I am very happy with the RC just lacks a little contrast for platentary tho and would take a 12"' but I think the C11 will have a bit more contrast and a lot less weight