Old 25-05-2018, 12:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
No just Ha is narrow band not LRGB I would suggest getting the bigger wheel then you are covered if you want to add O and S or anything else
Thanks for your advice I am inclinded to think I should follow it.
Alex
Old 25-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks for your advice I am inclinded to think I should follow it.
Alex
Its better to have spare slots and motorized than wishing later you had
Old 26-05-2018, 08:43 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
You're correct and on a side note why not ditch the guide scope and go with the zwo OAG
Yes, I've considered that but with my LP'd sky I might struggle to find guide stars within the viewing. Most of my imaging is into the SCP area which can be a bit sparse sometimes. The 80F5 is setup with only one axis of adjustment so flexure is not a problem and I have had to move it only slightly once to get a star into a better position.
Having it all setup in an Observatory means I can keep it all locked down optically and mechanically which makes it a lot easier to get multiple night imaging done.

I still may go down the OAG path if I have to buy a SII filter from ZWO eventually but at present the RGBLHa imaging process is keeping me more than amused. And my slush fund is still recovering financially from the 1600mm-c buy but it was definitely worth it.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Yes, I've considered that but with my LP'd sky I might struggle to find guide stars within the viewing. Most of my imaging is into the SCP area which can be a bit sparse sometimes. The 80F5 is setup with only one axis of adjustment so flexure is not a problem and I have had to move it only slightly once to get a star into a better position.
Having it all setup in an Observatory means I can keep it all locked down optically and mechanically which makes it a lot easier to get multiple night imaging done.

I still may go down the OAG path if I have to buy a SII filter from ZWO eventually but at present the RGBLHa imaging process is keeping me more than amused. And my slush fund is still recovering financially from the 1600mm-c buy but it was definitely worth it.
I'm in suburban Sydney and used an oag for the last 6 yrs with out ever an issue you can bin2x on the guider never not had a star I can use in the fov. If you are getting zwo nb filters don't get unmounted what ever you do .
Old 27-05-2018, 06:14 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
I'm in suburban Sydney and used an oag for the last 6 yrs with out ever an issue you can bin2x on the guider never not had a star I can use in the fov. If you are getting zwo nb filters don't get unmounted what ever you do .
I would still need another camera as one would have to be dedicated to the OAG. I'm not normally a 'planetary' imager but the current opportunity with Jupiter and Saturn to try for some better pix is worth having a go with my setup. The ASI 120mc is on the flip mirror with a 2x Barlow. Gives me f14 but really need a 3x or higher. Slightly smaller pixels on the 120 should improve the image. Having it on the flip mirror means the 1600mm-c is still setup for my usual DSO targets on f7, I just move the 120mc back to the guide scope and refocus everything..

My EFW is 1.25 so mounted is the only option AFAIK.
Old 27-05-2018, 11:08 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
If you are getting zwo nb filters don't get unmounted what ever you do .

I have the 31mm unmounted ZWO filters. What did I do wrong...?

Kevin
Old 28-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
I have the 31mm unmounted ZWO filters. What did I do wrong...?

Kevin
Nothing wrong but they have terrible large ring artifacts caused by reflections off the edge . I blacked out the edge on mine which helped a little but i ended up replacing them all due to the reflections they cause.
Old 28-05-2018, 01:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Nothing wrong but they have terrible large ring artifacts caused by reflections off the edge . I blacked out the edge on mine which helped a little but i ended up replacing them all due to the reflections they cause.
I have my money tied in the corner of my hanky (I wonder if there is anyone who lived in those days) and I would like you to write my note to take to the shopTell me exactly what I want
You recon the seven wheel but what size filters how do I avoid any problems?
Do I get the big ones or medium or small?
alex
Old 28-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Marke (Mark)

Quote:
I have my money tied in the corner of my hanky (I wonder if there is anyone who lived in those days) and I would like you to write my note to take to the shopTell me exactly what I want
You recon the seven wheel but what size filters how do I avoid any problems?
Do I get the big ones or medium or small?
alex
The mounted 1.25 will be ok it's just the unnounted ones the mounted have cover around edge. Just get the 7 set you can always upgrade if you feel the need later.
Old 28-05-2018, 05:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
The mounted 1.25 will be ok it's just the unnounted ones the mounted have cover around edge. Just get the 7 set you can always upgrade if you feel the need later.
If I get the camera in the 7 wheel kit I presume the right ones will be in that big or small..I would rather get big if there is an advantage.
alex
Old 28-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Marke (Mark)

Your option is 2in filters but the wheel has less slots because they take up a lot more room. Unless you are using a very fast scope with a large chip camera 1.25 are fine and half the price.
Old 29-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

I found these tables really useful for exposure times. https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-maybe-qhy163/

I get some vignetting (maybe amp glow as well) with the 1.25” filters in both the ED80 (at f6.3 with flattener/reducer) and the 8” Newt (operating at f4.5 with coma corrector) but it is all easily processed out. However I knew I wanted some pricey filters (to best deal with LP) so anything larger than 1.25” mounted was unaffordable. Don’t regret the purchase at all. I’m using the 8 position EFW. Works like a charm. Using Sequence Generator Pro to control everything. Still not to the point of pushing “Run Sequence” and walking away but getting closer. I was amazed with the Results the Ha filter gave me (around 3 minute exposures at Gain 139).

Only other thing I remember reading was about matching pixel size to focal length for different seeing conditions. The ED80 could undersample in excellent seeing while the 8” Newt could over sample in bad seeing conditions. The bit that worries me was that oversampling seems to place more empahsis on the mount, which in my case is an HEQ5 which is already operating near to its weight capacity with the Newt. Thus I’m resolved to sticking to my ED80 and maybe using the rather slow f7.65 ED100 for a field of view comparable to the 8” Newt.

Last edited by Benjamin; 29-05-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 31-05-2018, 10:54 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
If I get the camera in the 7 wheel kit I presume the right ones will be in that big or small..I would rather get big if there is an advantage.
alex
Alex, if you get the pro kit https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com.../asi1600mm-kit
It comes with all the required filters, the 7 hole wheel and the camera, cables, adapters, spacers for almost any setup. I was impressed with what they provided to cover most setup requirements. Some bits have solved some of my other optical path problems.

The comment I'd make is will you do narrow band or just RGB + Ha ? If you don't anticipate going down the narrow band path eventually then just get the mini kit with 5 holes. Mine is awesome.

I'm quite happy with the RGB + Ha ( the other filter is 'L' which is an IR/UV filter). It is letting me manage my LP issues much better and narrow band is a whole other ballpark in exposure times and colour processing and management. I'm only intrigued with it because the only filter I am missing is the SII and having a permanent setup makes it easier to try new things. And I am curious ..

The big thing I am seeing with the 1600mm-c is the incredible detail and depth as each channel adds to the picture and it is easier than I expected after an initial period of frustration and confusion.

And the supplied mounted 1.25 filters work just fine.
Old 31-05-2018, 11:15 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Brent,
That was well timed I just got back in.
I think I will go the 8 wheel on the basis that I hopefully can manage the additional complexity and not have to upgrade...unfortunately the price is above what I wanted to invest, I have the cash but I dont like spending it on toys...however after my close call thinking I was dieing I am syarting to be a little more easy on myself.

My plan is to capture stuff and store it and learn pixinsite latter.

I am a mug and well aware of my limitations so I feel I may be expecting something that wont happen...still I am going to try.

And at least down here in Sydney I can now set up on a permanent basis in the cube that I built...not having to pack up has been a massive pay off and being able to just open the box and its all set up is great.
My only problem is where should I buy it...I like dealing with Bintel but would like to give the folk who sponsored Logan a go.
Any ideas there?
Alex
Old 31-05-2018, 11:40 AM
JA

Quote:
My only problem is where should I buy it...I like dealing with Bintel but would like to give the folk who sponsored Logan a go.
Any ideas there?
Alex
Go with your gut / first thought!

Best
JA
Old 31-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

I say Give Sidereal trading a go!
Old 31-05-2018, 12:46 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
alex
I don't know the Aust market options Alex but I'd be prepared to give Logans people a go. They seemed pretty good to deal with. If you're dealing with a person you might like to mention that is why you are going through them.

Re the 'spending on toys' comment. A very close friend of mine passed away middle of last year. He had cancer, knew approximately when he would go and he just did everything he could while he could. He told me to 'do it now because you don't know when it's too late'.

I hedged and hummed over my 1600 buy, lot of money especially at our exchange rate at the time. But glad I did now, it's an investment in my own time and that is the most important thing of all.

Just go for it, tomorrow might be too late.
Old 31-05-2018, 03:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Brent
Please explain to me why I should get a 100 mm espirt
Look I know what you will probably say so thanks for talking me into it
Finally got the pole master fitting sortted... I just used a polar plug and epoxy ...better than a bought one.
I may be back onto the motorised walking frame..I was given a golf cart, a club carrier, which has a great moter and gear box. So maybe.
Alex
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So if you get the 8 position wheel what do you get to become the eighth filter?
Leave it empty or add something?
Alex
Old 01-06-2018, 05:26 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Sometimes you can get a solid "filter" to go in there to do darks and not have to cover the scope. Personally, I'm a bit dubious of how good that would work.