Go Back   IceInSpace > IceInSpace > Website Feedback and FAQ

Old 11-05-2006, 11:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation IceInSpace FTP space for Members

Hi all.

I'm pleased to announce an FTP service for IceInSpace members to use.

Often, especially in the imaging forums, people ask (or are asked) to process someone else's raw data. For those with webspace of their own, they can upload their files for people to download and play with, but that can sometimes be limited to just 10 megabytes. For those without webspace, it means sending CD's and DVD's through the post - IF you have a CD/DVD burner.

Well now, with the IceInSpace FTP service, you won't need to send stuff through the post any more!
You will be able to upload file(s) to the IceInSpace server, and then you can post (or give people) the link to the file so that others can download it.

To prevent unauthorised or malicious use of the storage space, the password to upload will only be given out upon request. Once your file is uploaded, anyone can download it if you give them the link.

What you will need

1. An FTP client (such as SmartFTP, FileZilla or any others).

2. The password (contact me via email/PM to request it when you wish to upload a file).

How to Upload

3. Connect the FTP client to iceinspace.com.au on port 21.

4. Connect as user iis_uploads, with the password supplied.

5. Upload your file(s). Be sure you have zipped your file first (using winzip/winrar) to ensure it's as small as possible (and therefore upload/download time is reduced). Filenames are case-sensitive.

How to Download

6. The directory that files are uploaded to is http://www.iceinspace.com.au/uploads/filename. So if you uploaded a file called "jupiter-may10.zip", you can distribute it using the link http://www.iceinspace.com.au/uploads/jupiter-may10.zip.

7. Filenames are case-sensitive

Rules

1. There is no filesize limit, but there is a 20gig total quota. However you must realise I don't expect people to upload extremely large files.

2. Currently there is no timelimit on files remaining on the storage space, but a 1-week limit is likely to be introduced (where files are automatically deleted after 1 week).

3. The storage space is to be used only for IceInSpace Forum/astronomy related files - that is, astrophotography files, etc.

4. The password will be changed on a regular basis.

5. The service must not be used to store p0rnography, mp3's, copyright software or other illegal files.

6. IP addresses are logged and regular auditing will be done on what files are on the site.

7. These rules are subject to change at any time.

Failure to comply with these rules or abuse of the service may result in your access to the FTP service being revoked. Repeat, or serious offences may result in further action.

Remember, this service is for you - to make your life easier, to share relevant files quickly and easily with other forum members. If you break the rules, you'll not only get yourself in trouble, but you'll potentially spoil it for everyone else if I am forced to take the FTP service away.

So please, play nice. Use the service as it is intended - as a temporary storage space so you can upload files for other people to download.

Future
- In the future, i'll be looking at integrating your forum login with the FTP storage space, so you will be able to login using your forum username/password. This way, i'll have better control over who can use the service.
- I'll also look at installing a web-based FTP client so you can upload files through the web, without needing an FTP client.

Comments, feedback, questions are all welcome.

Many thanks to the IceInSpace hosts for helping me setup this service.

Last edited by iceman; 11-05-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 AM
33South (Chris)

Great addition to the site, thanks Mike.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:59 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Sounds great! I won't be using the service though....dialup.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

That is excellent news Mike - a very useful additional feature and service for the ever expanding IIS community - thanks to all who made this possible.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

nice addition Mike!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

well done mike
Old 11-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Nice edition Mike.

I will continue using my web space instead of yours but very useful to others.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Its for images only?

Could we have a file area for other things like argo navis observing lists?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
mojo (Terry)
iceinspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler
Its for images only?
Could we have a file area for other things like argo navis observing lists?
It's for your astronomy related "stuff" that you want to share with other members and is too large for an attachment.

I don't know what an argo navis observing list is, but I assume it's that groovy astronomy piece of equipment everyone talks about, so I'll say yes.
You would think by now, I would know what all this astronomer stuff is
Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Terry is right, Geoff. It's not just for images, but I can imagine the imaging guys n gals will use it the most, because they often want to provide a link to a fullsize version, or some raw files, or a zipped up avi, etc.

The storage space can be used for anything astronomy related that you wish to share with other forum members.

I've spoken with Dave (the host guy), and he's indicated that he's happy to not delete the files.. we'll just keep an eye on bandwidth and usage to see how much use it gets.

So feel free to use it as an area to store astronomy related files, large size versions of pics etc.

Make sure (for now) you prefix the filename with your nickname, so it doesn't get confusing with other people's files there.

Terry, Dave and I are all keen to set up forum login integration with the FTP space, so everyone has their own account which can more easily managed and there is less confusion for people uploading and downloading files. There's some work to do in setting that up, but we'll see how we go over the next few weeks.
Old 15-05-2006, 12:29 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

I am just uploading my 500 frames from the 26th april for guys to play with. is directory browsing enabled so we can search thru and find something to download??
Old 15-05-2006, 12:31 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Directory browsing can be done through the FTP client, but not through HTTP.

Just make a post somewhere providing the link for people to download.

Ideally, it will be a private area where only you can see your files. But this can't be implemented until we integrate with the forum login information.
Old 15-05-2006, 12:35 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

thanks, also, ftp://iceinspace.com.au/ brings up a directory called files, should the files go in that directory?