Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Maybe I should stick to wide fields..
I.found this on photo bucket I thought it would have gone by now...300d manual or no guiding an hour I think maybe more.
Alex
Crikey, bikey! That is exceptional. I only wish I could get that. Using an LX200 on a wedge, I'm flat out locating SCP, let alone pulling guiding results like that.

As for not being smart, I would think you sell yourself somewhat short, sir. I have read numerous, very informed and articulate posts from your good self, on a wide variety of topics on this forum.
Old 26-07-2017, 12:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Shane
Thank you for your kindness and compliment.

Maybe a little smart but lazy maybe.

When computer programs etc don't work I don't know what to do.

I feel helpless because I am not great with computers...

I presume if you have a wedge you have a fork mount???

I find the CSP by placing the scope in home position and then take a time exposure so I can see star trails..the scope is not tracking but sits stationary during this proceedure...

Look at the capture and then adjust the mount until you have concentric circles ( arc of stars really) and you can have the center of these circles in the center of your capture.

I think you could do similar with a fork mount by setting your scope parallel to the forks ..take a time exposure that shows arc star trails and the adjust the wedge until you get the circle centred.

Alex
Old 26-07-2017, 12:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My mount is an eq 6.
But I pulled it down and made sure every thing was polished each gear tooth and removed the greeese and used a very light machine oil...I am unbelievably a perfectionist so trying to make the mount perfect somehow appealed..I did a few things that were probably extreme, can't remember,...
One thing I would have used was a tube extending past the camera lens by seven inches with baffles to restrict star light from anything outside the field of view being able to strike the lens.
I had these tubes for all my scopes ...and that was probably obsessive but I think it improves contrast.. I never tried with and without which I should have determine if the effect that I believed I achieved was real or imagined...
But after I "invented" these tubes I noticed that Hubble has a similar extention.

I posted this.elsewhere on this forum.but post it for.you here... It's like a long few tube with baffles.

It should be flocked as well really.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (images.png)
11.8 KB10 views
Old 26-07-2017, 12:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Notice how the tube goes well past the secondary and that extended section is baffled.
Alex
Old 26-07-2017, 12:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry your scope should be parallel to the wedge ..I think that's right but I am trying to imagine something I have never seen in the flesh.
Alex
Old 26-07-2017, 01:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

That shot was with my old crappy mount..called an eq5 but it was well before the white eq5s.

I did work on this mount but is was terrible.

This is how I remembered... Over ten years ago.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=10537
Alex