Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-07-2017, 12:37 PM
malau (David)

Good place to take night sky pics in NSW?

I am looking for a place which prefer large flat area which is good for taking night sky pics especially met. shower.

Thinking BM area but most of the area I know are either danger (e.g. close to the cliff) or too many trees.

I dont mind to drive like 3+ hrs as long as it is not too far and 2 wd can access is ok.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Maybe Wiseman's Ferry?
To get dark there will be trees and mountains.
Alex
Old 20-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by malau View Post
I am looking for a place which prefer large flat area which is good for taking night sky pics especially met. shower.

Thinking BM area but most of the area I know are either danger (e.g. close to the cliff) or too many trees.

I dont mind to drive like 3+ hrs as long as it is not too far and 2 wd can access is ok.

Thanks in advance.
Have you seen this Thread?
Dark sky and observing sites close to cities or towns around Australia

My choice: Bretti Reserve.
Bretti Reserve
Old 20-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Wavytone

Hi David,

The right answer depends somewhat on where you live - north south or west ?

If you want somewhere to practice first in Sydney the NSAS has the best site in Sydney - bar none - at Terrey Hills, on a high ridge with low horizons in all directions. LMC SMC and the Coal Sack are all visible naked eye on a good night. You have to drive a long way to beat this one.

The next locations are in the blue mountains; see

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=106666

Under item 3.

The Katoomba Airfield site is no longer available.

Last edited by Wavytone; 20-07-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 23-07-2017, 11:33 PM
malau (David)

Thanks all.. I will have a look about it
Old 27-07-2017, 11:57 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
After have a look the suggestions for this wekend meteorite shower, Im thinking bretti reserve or st. clair lake camp site.

Anyone can tell me which one is better? Thanks again.
David, Bretti is a fantastic sight, with some of the darkest Sky Quality Meter readings i have taken. SQM values of 21.8
It is abit of a drive to get there, but we keep going back. Two wheel drive access is fine. I recommend going down to the far end of the reserve away from any Grey Nomads that like spots along the river.
I don't know much about St Clair Lake.
Take a reclining camp chair if you have one, great tool for meteorite watching. The sliver moon will be up in the evening but sets around 10pm on Friday night and 11pm on Satutday i believe. It will be chilly so dress warm.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:11 PM
malau (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
David, Bretti is a fantastic sight, with some of the darkest Sky Quality Meter readings i have taken. SQM values of 21.8
It is abit of a drive to get there, but we keep going back. Two wheel drive access is fine. I recommend going down to the far end of the reserve away from any Grey Nomads that like spots along the river.
I don't know much about St Clair Lake.
Take a reclining camp chair if you have one, great tool for meteorite watching. The sliver moon will be up in the evening but sets around 10pm on Friday night and 11pm on Satutday i believe. It will be chilly so dress warm.

Thanks a lot. I also called St Clair Lake about the entry detail.
I have to be there by around 5 pm and can't leave around 6 am so Bretti should be the place to go.

Will you go too?
Old 27-07-2017, 12:43 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I also called St Clair Lake about the entry detail.
I have to be there by around 5 pm and can't leave around 6 am so Bretti should be the place to go.

Will you go too?
I would love to David but for health reasons i am not allowed right now. If you post up in Star Parties sub-forum there is a thread related to Bretti, you might get someone else who is interested.
Old 27-07-2017, 04:25 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Katoomba air field
Old 27-07-2017, 04:34 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Katoomba air field
I don't know if that is still possible.
Old 27-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I don't know if that is still possible.
Katoomba airfield is NOT accessible anymore. Management of the airfield has changed.

Is that quite clear ?

If you want a dark site in the blue mountains the choices are:
1. Mt Blackheath, north end of Shipley Plateau, great view west but forget east (trees). Has fireplaces so you can warm up in winter.
2. Hargraves Lookout, south end of Shipley Plateau and extremely exposed to any wind;
3. Hat Hill Rd, north of Blackheath; several excellent spots;
4. Fire trail to Victoria Falls, from the GWH before Mt Victoria - great site about 2km north of GWH but is currently closed by NPWS;
5. Mt Banks on Bells Line of Rd; there is a usable car park for observing and further down a picnic area with fireplaces, useful to keep warm;
6. Disused airstrip at Clarence, Bells Line of Rd; great site but frequented by wild Roos and large feral dogs - ok for a group but alone you are likely to be attacked;
7. Mt Wilson, park opposite cathedral of ferns; sheltered but trees limit the horizons;
8. Hassans Walls, south side of Lithgow; quite good.

I can also recommend Centennial Glen but it is private land and you will have to rent a cabin there to use it.

Lake St Clair is also good - I have been there paragliding. The lakeside campground is ok if you don't mind the neighbours. With prior arrangement from the landowner it is possible to get to the top of the hills on the east side in daylight however the track is strictly serious 4WD only - a Landcruiser/Land Rover is required - and frankly quite scary with some fairly terrrifying slippery slopes and it's a loooong way down. If the owner grants access you will be up there all night with the cows, till daybreak. It's also very exposed with no shelter - only 1 miserable tree, with a cranky resident wedgetail eagle for company.

Last edited by Wavytone; 27-07-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Frequented by