Old 24-01-2021, 12:51 PM
glend (Glen)

EAA Beginner First Images

Bear with me, these are my first EAA DSO captures turned into images. EAA is not traditional long sub imaging, but rather composites of short exposure/frames aligned and stacked within Sharpcap as captured. Primarily intended to be viewed on a laptop screen as they are Live Stacked, and not turned into real astrophoto quality images. It is effectively an observational enhancement tehnology. Do not worry too much about star shapes.

Here are a few of mine from last night. Camera is the ASI294MC (non-cooled version), scope is a Skywatcher ED150 reduced to f6,8. Not guided just normal tracking by my CGX.

Captured by Sharpcap as FITS, converted to JPGs with a bit of basic tweaking in an old Photoshop Elements version, saved at reduced size for posting here.

Why do EAA at all your asking yourself, well it is fast, augmented visual observation technology, without the need for hours of data, or sophisticated stacking in DSS and post capture image processing software. In my case, due to failing eyesight, it allows me to still participate as I can no longer do long form imaging, and my visual observations require enhancement as provided by EAA.

See attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eta-C-EAA-240121-Small.jpg)
200.9 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (Omega-C-240121-Small.jpg)
197.6 KB81 views

Last edited by glend; 24-01-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 24-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Excellent first light results Glen. Your new rig shows plenty of potential plus it is surprising what can be squeezed out of SharpCap. Will you be capturing in colour in due course?
I have been following your threads on EAA with interest as I have also been experimenting with EAA for the same reasons as yourself. My weak link at the moment is a relatively old Imaging Source DBK41 colour CCD. Still deliberating about what CMOS camera to update to.
Old 24-01-2021, 01:19 PM
RyanJones

I was speaking to a friend the other day and explaining that the whole reason I got into astrophotography was to be able to share with others the amazing wonders above us. I ( as we all have ) have spent lots of money and countless hours changing setups and refining my imaging. My setup includes an ASIair which in its capture software has an auto stretch function with the added bonus of being able to be used on my phone. So that has effectively become the EAA that you are talking about. After so much time and effort I eventually made it back to the intent that I started with.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 24-01-2021, 03:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Glen,
Great first EAA images
Looking forward to your progress in EAA
With your deteriorating eye sight it’s wonderful how this hobby can offer alternatives to stay connected with it
I’m not quite there yet ( 61 with myopia , astigmatism 1.5 diopter in one eye , posterior virtuous detachment, ocular migranes etc.... ) but sometime in the future, I’ll be giving away visual astronomy, falling back to just AP and then EAA
Well done !!!!
Martin
Old 30-01-2021, 03:43 PM
Baobab (Bohdan)

These are excellent pictures, love it.
Once I get bigger scope I need to try EAA too.
Old 30-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Well done. Looks good.

Live stacking in Sharpcap works well with the Zwo OSC on any size scope.

The EAA in that case does all the things that DSS does but does it as you watch with short exposures of about 5-8 sec at higher gain of around 280 on the 183mc . It is kind of fun. You can also stack the stacks later in DSS

The are a few tutorials out there and once you get the colour setting right and the right Mono 16 output ( yes it is colour) it works a treat.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Glen
You must be very happy with such a fine result.
I have been doing similar in so far as just looking at what I can get on screen with out any thought of saving images ..just looking.

Keep up the good work...they need a backing track..little bass, drums and rythem with an impro lead maybe using a red guitar.
Alex
Old 01-02-2021, 11:41 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks to all for your supportive comments. Not sure about a stellar sound track, but I do have a few ideas.