ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-12-2020, 07:03 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Assessing various optic materials (Canberra Region)

Hello All,

Someone within an hour or so of Canberra who would be willing to look through some boxes of various glass blanks and tell what they are.

I know that soda glass looks green when viewed from side on. Is there anyway to tell pyrex from quartz and other types of glass blanks?

Thanks
Steve

The Blurb:
I recently made a purchase of a large slab of soda glass and some grinding materials. The idea was to make a variety of different aperture mirrors based around the same FL. Mainly to see if I found 1800-2000mm a comfortable length to use on a Dobsonian base and to learn mirror grinding from 8" mirrors and up. Also to make a few dob's prior to the "tell 'em he's dreaming" 16" and finding out I hate the FL for use and comfort.

During discussions with the seller I was told it was from a deceased estate and the seller could not tell me a great deal about what was on offer apart from the above items. However it came with the option of delivery from Sydney to Canberra (a few weeks ago - no covid panic) and that sealed the deal. I bought sight unseen.

I am now the proud owner of about 6 boxes of various size mirror blanks very few of which have any markings on them. I have at least 7+ "Code 634060 6"x1" (pyrex) telescope blanks" in original carboard packaging, others have Corning Pyrex on the packaging. Many more are in tin containers and even a few in some nice wooden boxes. Some have a plastic sleeve trapped in the center of the mirror which I'm guessing is for a Cas-Mak primary mirror?

Some postage marks are to School of Physics UNSW and Div. of Science and Technology central workshop - Mt Nelson. If you'd like to help me out and explore the boxes and tell me a little about them I would love to meet up in the New Year at your convenience.

Others are triangles, pyramids, blanks that are sloped like a secondary mirror but are round and other weird optical glass.

Any help would be appreciated and a small reward offered, beer/wine or cash.

Last edited by mura_gadi; 24-12-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 23-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I'm not sure I would be of much help identifying the stuff but I would certainly be interested to have a look at your treasure trove of glass.

I'm in Garran .