Old 19-01-2021, 07:56 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

astroart 7 how to

first use

was to acquire images for Siderial technology plate solve3 to us in building a mount model. Tick, works like a a charm
Second use
for images produced by Nebulosity4 and Startools 1.6 to remove satellite trails.
Tick works like a charm
To date I have let Startools generate the white balance go the Nebulosity bebayered stack. (attached image)

I have just started using Sharpcap for image acquision so whute balance is taken care of.

The camera in use a QHY8Lc.
Can someone familiar with AA give me, or point me to, a tutorial for preprocessing stacking and post processing of the stacked image.

The web has replies to this sort of question but as far as I can tell the answers are in Swahili.

I know a dumbo question.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (allstneb2.jpg)
163.4 KB77 views
Old 19-01-2021, 10:00 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Import your raw 16bit fits images from the Sharpcap folder into Deep Sky Stacker with some darks and flats if required and stack them there .

You will need to set the correct file type in the fits import section first indicating a correct debayer pattern for a greyscale fits from a colour camera.

If you have other file types they can work also as long as they are all the same file and resolution.

Register and Stack with recommended settings.

Save as unmodified 16 bit fits or 16bit tif and import to a program of your choice.eg Ps , Nebulosity or Startools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
first use

was to acquire images for Siderial technology plate solve3 to us in building a mount model. Tick, works like a a charm
Second use
for images produced by Nebulosity4 and Startools 1.6 to remove satellite trails.
Tick works like a charm
To date I have let Startools generate the white balance go the Nebulosity bebayered stack. (attached image)

I have just started using Sharpcap for image acquision so whute balance is taken care of.

The camera in use a QHY8Lc.
Can someone familiar with AA give me, or point me to, a tutorial for preprocessing stacking and post processing of the stacked image.

The web has replies to this sort of question but as far as I can tell the answers are in Swahili.

I know a dumbo question.
Chris
Old 19-01-2021, 10:11 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Thanks Ray,
I have not used DSS, looks like another learning curve,white balancing from grey scale sounds mysterious but it will be conquered.

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-01-2021, 10:15 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Ray has provided a processing path but not using AA7.By many accounts AA7 is a powerful image manipulation program.So I am still in the dark on how to use it.
Chris
Old 20-01-2021, 01:16 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Chris, I use AA7 for spectroscopy, but the basic pre-processing is the same.

It's pretty well covered in the AA7 Users guide. Access from the help tab....

Do you have a specific issue/ concern?

The Astroart forum is always very helpful and supportive.
https://www.astroart-forum.net/forum/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AA7_preprocessing.JPG)
155.1 KB42 views
Old 20-01-2021, 04:26 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Thanks Ken,
SW Western Australia had an extensive area of thunderstorms last night, in consequence we were without power fro 430am to 1345 pm. I used a large part of that time to read the AA7 user guide which I had printed , I reached the page of your attachment before my head started to spin. But several more reads should sort that out.
It would be nice if I could use AA7 for capture, pwhite nalance preprocessing and stacking and then finish processing, Perhaps in due time.
I am a little pleased with my original attachment as it shows the trapezium without resort to layers and masks, just be nice to do it all in one program.

Chris
Old 20-01-2021, 04:53 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Chris,
I’m sure after a few “dry runs” you’ll quickly get the hang of selecting the data for preprocessing.
I use AA7 for all my acquisitions- darks, flats, dark flats and target exposures.
For me the added functionality that Fabio added for stacking Spectra is majic!
Also note, that AA7 includes very capable guiding, focus control and even very quick plate solving.
For AP processing there are many tools which allow you to tweak to your hearts content.
If you have any specific issue, just drop me a PM. I’d be glad to assist.
Old 20-01-2021, 08:28 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Selecting the correct input file type for DSS from a colour cmos is as simple as ticking the right box before importing to indicate the files are from a colour camera. The debayer pattern choice is probably just the default as my ASI 183 is.

No other pre processing is essential and it can be handled in DSS for a rough draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
Thanks Ray,
I have not used DSS, looks like another learning curve,white balancing from grey scale sounds mysterious but it will be conquered.

Cheers
Chris