Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Phil
Phil H

Cannon software 500D

Just got myself a 500D and put all the software on my computer. Now when i connected the camera to the comp. it installed it drivers not a prob. But when i go to open the EOS utility it keeps shutting down. I also cannot run camera window. Does any one no how to fix this. I am running windows vista could this be the problem. Any help would be great.
Phil
Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Did you install from the CD that came with the camera? If so, see if there's a newer version on the website and download and install that. Reboot PC and re-test. If that fails, uninstall it all, reboot PC, reinstall and re-test. Are you running 32 or 64 bit version of Vista? If 64 bit, make sure you installed the 64 bit version of the software. Also, you can try running the EOS utility in Windows XP compatibility mode and administrator mode too. That might help, but really shouldn't be necessary. Failing that, it could be a driver related issue - perhaps your copy of Vista isn't up to date with updates. Try making sure that you have all of the latest Windows updates. Failing that, contact Canon support. They can work for their bickies and support their crappy software.

Dave