Old 16-08-2009, 08:27 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Lumicon Easy-Guider

I've just ordered a 2" model. LAte at night decision. Hmmm! Anyone got any thoughts about these?
Peter
Old 16-08-2009, 09:08 AM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I used one in my C11, and achieved the best results with it. I was planning to get another one for use with the 8" RC.. When imaging with a longer focal length, I do prefer to guide at a similar length.. an OAG is the best way to achieve that, provided your guide camera is sensitive enough to pick up stars (your QHY5 should be fine!)

I had absolutely no issues with mine, worked a treat..
Old 19-08-2009, 10:19 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Just swapped from Guidescope to a Lumicon OAG 2". The unit is great - mine had the prism (or adpters) the wrong way round for some reason but it was easy to fix. One side is set for 2" focuser the other is T thread. The only issue I have is focusing the guide and main cameras together - there is some need for spacers to achieve this - in my case I had to move the imaging camera back about 1cm to be able to focus my guide cam (a QHY5) and my imaging cameras (DS-145M Ice and a Canon 20D) at the same time.

Other than that I am not finding any probs getting a guidestar so for anyway and the results are better than with the guidscope - I am getting rounds stars and tracking to +/1 1" or less now...no prblems with flexure anymore.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Ian Robinson

I've the 2" newtonian esyguider , and a Lumicon CCFF lens , together a great bit of kit .

Looking forward to using them again soon , just need to reassemble and recollimate my 10" RF newtonian and give it and the Atlux a permanent home in a ROR shed.

Using a OAG beats the hell out of using a guidescope.
Old 20-08-2009, 12:00 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Agree that! FWIW - I just posted two piccys of M20 one 2* 3600 seconds shots and the other 11 shots comprising over 7 hours data over 3 nights - guided by PHD - I'm very pleased with the tracking at this long focal length!

2 hours

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...se.php?a=62333

7+ Hours

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...se.php?a=62358
Old 20-08-2009, 04:36 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
The only issue I have is focusing the guide and main cameras together - there is some need for spacers to achieve this - in my case I had to move the imaging camera back about 1cm to be able to focus my guide cam (a QHY5) and my imaging cameras (DS-145M Ice and a Canon 20D) at the same time.
That's the little reservation I have. Both cameras move together in the Crayford focuser. I suppose the answer is that focus in the guidecam is not mission-critical whereas the imaging camarea is. But swapping an eyepiece for the imaging camara, for example,unless it is parafocal with the camera is going to screw your guiding and vice versa. Seems a bit of a design drawback.
Peter
Old 20-08-2009, 04:39 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day View Post
FWIW - I just posted two piccys of M20
Just had a look at the pics. Jeeeez. The detail; the tracking; the depth. Whacko.
Peter
Old 20-08-2009, 08:48 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

On the focus side - I use a Bhatinov mask - first get the main camera perfect on a bright star, then zoom on Jupiter in the guide camera, take long duration shots and adjust only your guider's focus in the OAG.

Jupiter is large enough to give a differaction pattern in PHD for me.

In those guided shots I posted - tracking and is better than +/- 3 arc seconds for well over several hours - so it is achievable.