Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 30-01-2015, 01:37 PM
CockneyNutjob

EBay from China

Howdy all,

After seeing this thread:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ighlight=%2420

for a cheap USB microscope from China I decided to get me one. That was on Boxing Day and I still haven't recieved it. The estimated delivery was for 14-28/01/15. This is the first thing I bought from China and wondered what the real time frame is and what I can do if it's unusual. I've only ever bought from Australia before and never had any probs.
Old 30-01-2015, 01:51 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

I bave bought from China with no problems sometimes delivery can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks

Adrian
Old 30-01-2015, 01:56 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

You can also contact the seller. Chinese sellers are usually quick to answer and offer a solution if there is a problem. My experience is also 2-6 weeks.
Old 30-01-2015, 02:23 PM
CockneyNutjob

That was quick

Thanks for the relies, I'd just opened a case in the resolution centre before I posted that and the seller has already answered. He has offered a replacement and asked me to close the case.

I've recieved some Petri dishes from another supplier in China that I ordered a couple of days later than the USB scope.

As I said I've never had probs before so if I close the case and then wait another month for it and it don't turn up it would have gone past 45 days since purchase and I then can't reopen another, is that correct?

So do I tell him to send another but keep the docket open, can I keep one open that long?

Cheers for your thoughts on the matter.
Old 30-01-2015, 02:23 PM
inline_online (Dan)

I bought a Kson refractor from China.
Money went into their account on a Thursday and it was at my office on the Monday. I couldn't believe it.
My supplier was fantastic to deal with - wasn't Ebay though.
Old 30-01-2015, 03:08 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockneyNutjob View Post
Thanks for the relies, I'd just opened a case in the resolution centre before I posted that and the seller has already answered. He has offered a replacement and asked me to close the case.

I've recieved some Petri dishes from another supplier in China that I ordered a couple of days later than the USB scope.

As I said I've never had probs before so if I close the case and then wait another month for it and it don't turn up it would have gone past 45 days since purchase and I then can't reopen another, is that correct?

So do I tell him to send another but keep the docket open, can I keep one open that long?

Cheers for your thoughts on the matter.
You can also ask them for a refund and buy it again. However, if the item then turns up you will have two...
Be aware that PayPal now has a deadline of 180 days, not 45. Yes, that's good. However I am not sure if you can use PayPal if you have already opened and closed a case with eBay. Did you mean the resolution centre with PayPal or eBay? If you do ask for a refund and buy a new one it would be a new item of course so if it doesn't arrive you can use either PayPal or eBay.
Anyway, recently an item from China had not arrived and they gave me a refund and then I went down for the mail and it had just arrived. On the same day they gave me a refund! Of course I told them and they sent me a new invoice. I mean, yes, sometimes it can take a bit longer than usual for whatever reason.
Old 30-01-2015, 03:11 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

in my exp the ebay china sellers -2 wks is an underestimate, most of my gear takes 3-6 wks ,
Old 30-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Occasionally three weeks, more often five or six weeks.
With Paypal extending the time to claim to six months, there isn't much of a problem any more when the time to claim was only 45 days.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 30-01-2015, 04:10 PM
niko

if they provided a tracking number it's worth checking with Aussie Post too. I have had items that never turned up only to discover the Aussie Post contractor never carded them and they were sitting at the local post office.

Chinese sellers want your business, and most importantly a good feedback score and most will do whatever it takes to make you satisfied
Old 30-01-2015, 04:48 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

The latest item I bought from China was a moon map. I bought it on the 10th and it arrived on the 27th.
Old 30-01-2015, 05:56 PM
speach (Simon)

The only problem I've with a Chinese purchase is I didn't receive the goods, it waited for 4 weeks then told the seller. My money was refunded the same day. They just asked if it did show up that I'd repay them the money.
Old 30-01-2015, 06:52 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Of the many purchases I've done from China, I've only once not received an item. As the others have said, 3-6 weeks is typical. Chinese tracking if offered is not much help, usually the item will show as being in one place until it turns up on your doorstep.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I got my ASI120MM sent from ZWO in China, and it arrived in 3 days!
Old 30-01-2015, 10:02 PM
CockneyNutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
in my exp the ebay china sellers -2 wks is an underestimate, most of my gear takes 3-6 wks ,
It wasn't 2 weeks. I ordered it on 26/12/14 and estimated delivery was between 14-28/01/15 so just over a month.

Anyway, I asked the question of EBay and their advice was not to close the docket as it could not be reopened and I couldn't open a new docket if the previous one had been resolved. I'll wait another week and if still not recieved will get them to send a replacement and only close the docket once recieved.

I was quite impressed with ebays quick response and in depth explanation.
Old 31-01-2015, 07:00 PM
doppler (Rick)

Customs can be a big hold up as well, especially around xmas.
Old 31-01-2015, 10:36 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

I ordered the same microscope after reading that thread too. Mine arrived after about 3 weeks.

I've ordered many items, mainly small and inexpensive, and have only once had a no show. Wasted $1

Oh I just remembered my daughters wedding dress fiasco from a Chinese dressmaker on Ebay. Many tears and $$ later we bought an Aussie made dress locally.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Having dealt a lot with Chinese dealers the one thing I will say is if you have opened a Paypal dispute, do not close it util you have either the goods in your hands or a refund in your account. The are not stupid, while they do want our money and trade there is also dealers who don't care and will argue with you over a $5 item and others who will replace or refund a $200 item and won't care if the original item turns up. Remember you only get one bite at it with PayPal and a dispute starts with only exchanged emails and doesn't lead to any refunds or replacements instigated by paypal. After a period Paypal will drop the dispute if you don't escalate it to a full dispute but that is up to you. If you close the original dispute early you can get caught out and be left without the goods, a refund or the ability to go back to PayPal.
On the whole the Chinese are pretty good but free delivery in particular is usually up to 25 working days and if it was ordered during the holiday period it could be longer. Australian customs often hold things up after a holiday period as well.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:04 AM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Ordered 2 microphone cables from China on the 21 Jan cables delivered 5 minutes ago. Pretty quick

Adrian
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Well, not China exactly and not eBay, but I ordered a short Vixen bar with the wide top directly from William Optics Taiwan. Arrived this morning, 4 days after ordering.

Can't complain - price was $58 USD including postage EMS, which is still $45 USD cheaper total than Agena USA or the local distributor.

Now just need a mount LOL
Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 PM
CockneyNutjob

Well it arrived this morning, wahey, but like Jeanette's the disc is blank. Was yours too Kev, if so what software did you download?