Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2015, 12:30 AM
sharpiel

Price rises at Bintel

Just jumped onto Bintel's website and noticed the $1,400 overnight increase in the price of the EQ8. Now $5679. Almost priced out of the range for what it is comparable to other mounts out there.
Old 13-01-2015, 05:16 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Probably this: the US$ rate has risen.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...to=AUD&view=1Y
Old 13-01-2015, 08:15 AM
glend (Glen)

The AUD has had substantial devaluation and they may have to pay for all new stock at a much higher price. I'd ring Andrews and see what price they can offer - assuming you really want to buy one and are not just browsing. Also check with Bintel on the phone, it maybe a simple mistake made when adjusting their pricing for 2015.

The Christmas holiday shutdown of the two major retailers is probably ending and new pricing will be appearing in coming weeks.

PS a quick look at the Andrews website shows $4699 for the EQ8 and they are in stock, and I believe Andrews re-opened on the 12th so it your after one now is your chance.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:18 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Myastroshop.com.au also has them $680 cheaper than Bintel. Not sure if in stock, but you can ask.

Not as cheap as Andrews, but at least you get a genuine warranty elsewhere.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:22 AM
glend (Glen)

In my expereince with Myastroshop, they do not stock much as they are primarily a drop-ship operation and would probably rely on the importer of Skywatcher equipment. I'd be surprised if anyone other than Andrews or Bintel actually holds stock of pricey items like an EQ8.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:48 PM
louie_the_fly (Stew)
Astronewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Probably this: the US$ rate has risen.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?fr...to=AUD&view=1Y
Isn't it interesting how the USD - AUD comparison is always used as the excuse for prices increasing, even when the item is made in & delivered from China. The AUD - Yuan rate only has fluctuated $0.005 in the last week, and is back up to where it was on the 9th of Jan.
Old 13-01-2015, 08:07 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_the_fly View Post
The AUD - Yuan rate only has fluctuated $0.005 in the last week, and is back up to where it was on the 9th of Jan.
But the AUD has flucuated more than 10% versus the Yuan and Greenback over the past six months, which is probably more aligned with retailers stock arrivals... (assuming two shipments per year).

Last edited by OICURMT; 14-01-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 13-01-2015, 08:32 PM
jjz (Joe)

The scope I was buying has gone up from about 2.5K to 3K overnight, so about 20%. Ofcourse this happened the day before I was popping in to buy it!.

I know its probably not bintels fault, but its a big hit for a noob like me and still leaves me without a scope. I just wish there was some warning.

Either way i'll keep trawling the for sale section of this forum and look at other suppliers around the country, unless Bintel have a ripper deal I'll go elsewhere in the future.
Old 13-01-2015, 08:44 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie_the_fly View Post
Isn't it interesting how the USD - AUD comparison is always used as the excuse for prices increasing, even when the item is made in & delivered from China. The AUD - Yuan rate only has fluctuated $0.005 in the last week, and is back up to where it was on the 9th of Jan.
It is going to depend on the currency that the importer pays with and in some cases that will be USD regardless of where it is made. I believe that Andrews uses a bonded warehouse and doesn't pay for the scope or whatever until it is removed from the bonded warehouse to fill a sales order - this make cash flow easier to manage. The price charged to you may be related to the cost of getting it out of bond. It would be nice if Luke got on here and explained it.
Old 14-01-2015, 12:35 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The AUD has had substantial devaluation and they may have to pay for all new stock at a much higher price. I'd ring Andrews and see what price they can offer - assuming you really want to buy one and are not just browsing. Also check with Bintel on the phone, it maybe a simple mistake made when adjusting their pricing for 2015.

The Christmas holiday shutdown of the two major retailers is probably ending and new pricing will be appearing in coming weeks.

PS a quick look at the Andrews website shows $4699 for the EQ8 and they are in stock, and I believe Andrews re-opened on the 12th so it your after one now is your chance.
Was just browsing at this point. Want one but need to get my act together to sell a large mirror and bits and pieces to pay for it. Was just surprised at the 33% price rise. Haven't seen a price rise of such magnitude in so short a time while I've been watching. I've seen it elsewhere in stock in Aus today for $4299. Good incentive to list those sale items of mine ASAP!