ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Gavin1234

Back outside

HI Everyone,

Finally some clear skies in Sydney. I managed to get out two nights in a row.

I focused on finishing off my M42, just started processing them today. I think they're coming along well. Not sure if I'm finished or not though. Two versions so far. Let me know which one you think is looking better. The blue/ish or red/pink one?

144 X 300 sec subs
25 X 10 sec subs
10 X 5 sec subs.

All taken on the ASI071MC.

Larger size images:
https://astrob.in/full/379182/0/

https://astrob.in/full/379182/B/

I'm going to try a new target tonight if the weather holds up. Any suggestions for a DSO target tonight in Sydney?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Take One Small.jpg)
212.5 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (Take Two Small.jpg)
220.4 KB52 views
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I really like the first one but both ate excellent. Well done.
Alex
Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And you could try the Horse Head Nebula and the Flame Nebular.
I must say again that first one is really wonderful.
Alex
Old 03-12-2018, 12:25 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's really good. #1 color's right on the money. Your field is well corrected. Guiding's good as well. You just need to focus accurately and keep focus during your imaging run then you'll have one for the poolroom. Your scope is a triplet and should be super sharp with no chromatic abberation whatsoever. Everything else ticks the boxes.

Tarantula is up and fairly bright, NGC104 (47 tuc) is also a good one fairly bright and crossing meridian early evening, later Orion is up, horse head bit faint , flame much brighter, etc... pleiades good for your field size, monoceros later on, rosette, xmas tree nebula, bit fain though.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Gavin1234

Thanks Alex and Marc.

I had a go at tarantula last night, I haven’t seen the data yet but conditions were very poor so I’m not hopeful. Might try m45 tonight.

I’m struggling to get my focus better than it is. I can tell it’s not right because the small close stars are joining together in my images. When I use frame and focus in SGP I can get the HFR down to 0.97 - 1.03 (with binning at 4x4). I can’t seem to get the HFR any lower no matter how long I fine tune for. Any tips on that (other than getting an auto focuser)?

Also Marc, what do you mean by chromatic aberrations? I know what it is in theory but could you point out some in my image?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:05 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin1234 View Post
I’m struggling to get my focus better than it is. I can tell it’s not right because the small close stars are joining together in my images. When I use frame and focus in SGP I can get the HFR down to 0.97 - 1.03 (with binning at 4x4). I can’t seem to get the HFR any lower no matter how long I fine tune for. Any tips on that (other than getting an auto focuser)?
The simplest way to focus is to do it visually with a bahtinov mask. You can buy one or make one. It's very simple to make. You'll nail your focus everytime quickly. Doing it by the number is more time consuming but can be achieved. Getting good focus is the most important aspect of astro imaging and probably the most overlooked by beginners. And also the easiest to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin1234 View Post
Also Marc, what do you mean by chromatic aberrations? I know what it is in theory but could you point out some in my image?
You have none. A triplet is supposed to correct for this. Your focus is just soft. Once you have sorted this out you'll have pin sharp stars and a lot more details.