Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Canon 600D Camera Control from PC

I have been using an RS-60E3 remote control switch to take exposures on my Canon 600D through a 6" reflector OTA and HEQ5 mount with good results for the past 5 months

I would like to progress to the next level and control my camera from a PC located adjacent to my mount on a small table

Appreciate some advice from experienced astrophotographer's to get me set up and started -

Cable from Camera to PC ( say 4metres long ) cable type and supplier details ( I don't do Ebay ) ?

Camera Control Software - beginner ( Backyard EOS ? ) ?

My PC has 3 x 3.0 USB ports ( all free at the moment )

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM
raymo

Why have your PC with you when you can programme and operate your
imaging sessions with a $20 intervalometer, and leave your rig to get on
with it. I don't understand why some people don't do ebay, I've done more than 800 transactions over many years with only one minor hitch, and even
that was sorted out.
raymo
Old 07-06-2018, 11:21 AM
bojan
amateur

Ebay rules....

Have a look at this timer (I have 2 of them, they work like a dream).
Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

KISS

If you want to use a laptop to control the Canon all you need is a mini USB to USB2 cable connection - your local computer shop probably has them is stock if you don't use eBay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-...le-Cord-3M-1M/

Use the Canon Utilities software which came with the camera - this allows full "remote" control of the camera you can set aperture, exposure, interval etc. and display the image downloads as you go.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks for the replies to date , appreciate it

Does anybody else out there use camera control software for their prime focus Canon DSLR's ?

If so, I'd like to know what they use , how its set up and how it performs

Cheers
Old 07-06-2018, 04:40 PM
spiezzy

I use Nebulosity 4 for capture with my DSLR and has work great for me your camera should hook straight up very straight forward to use and has heaps of grunt even do my processing with it many tools
hope this helps
cheers Pete
Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
doppler (Rick)

The big plus with any camera control that runs of a laptop is you can sit at a table and have full control and viewing without touching the camera. I use Backyard eos, you get free updates for support for new camera's and it's easy to use. Here's a link to a video clip on the use of Bye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQB6UnrTEEM scroll to 30min, there are a few free programs available as well. http://digicamcontrol.com/

I got my camera to laptop 3m usb cable from kmart for $5

Last edited by doppler; 08-06-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I used BYEOS for several years until I went mono last year. BYEOS is excellent value for what it does. It also taught me a lot more about my camera and astro-imaging as it gave a live view on screen at each image and showed me histograms and more information about exposure and noise. All of this was transferable to my learning on the 1600mm-c so I reckon BYEOS is a good way to go.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks all for your experience and advice, well received

I'm going to get started with BYEOS shortly

Its going to be so much easier setting up and taking exposures and reviewing your work from a 15" screen in lieu of a very small LCD monitor

Less time around the mount during the evening ( I have accidently bumped into the tripod legs on a few occasions, cursing and swearing when the alignment is out )

No more bending, squatting and hopping up on a step when the telescope ends up in various positions

I'm always rotating the camera to have the LCD display squared up when I'm on live view

I had a brief look at BYEOS and it has so many ancillary features

I already have my Laptop and I will eventually progress with auto guiding (PHD2) and telescope control ( Stellarium scope or similar ) in the future.

Thanks all again !!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:22 PM
redbeard (Damien)

+1 BYEOS Great product and cheap to buy. Free to try!
Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Thanks all for your experience and advice, well received

I'm going to get started with BYEOS shortly

Its going to be so much easier setting up and taking exposures and reviewing your work from a 15" screen in lieu of a very small LCD monitor

Less time around the mount during the evening ( I have accidently bumped into the tripod legs on a few occasions, cursing and swearing when the alignment is out )

No more bending, squatting and hopping up on a step when the telescope ends up in various positions

I'm always rotating the camera to have the LCD display squared up when I'm on live view

I had a brief look at BYEOS and it has so many ancillary features

I already have my Laptop and I will eventually progress with auto guiding (PHD2) and telescope control ( Stellarium scope or similar ) in the future.

Thanks all again !!
Good move, and yes it has lots of ancillary features that give s you more information and learning. I used mine for about 3-4 years until I felt it was time to move on and up, and finances improved as well of course.

It's still all there on the PC and I may jump back to it now and again for some targets and projects. Just have to make sure I keep the camera battery alive and well.

Keep us posted of course, there will be plenty of help from all here.