Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 23-11-2017, 05:28 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Light pollution is getting worse

Quote:
A study of pictures of Earth by night has revealed that artificial light is growing brighter and more extensive every year.

Between 2012 and 2016, the planet's artificially lit outdoor area grew by more than 2% per year.
Source.

Old 23-11-2017, 09:30 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Yeah, I read about this today. Affecting many different species, including us at a biological level!

Bloody horrid, but at least its a message that is starting to spread. It makes me appreciate my dark skies all the more.
Old 23-11-2017, 09:36 PM
doppler (Rick)

The sad part is that most of the population is either asleep or indoors at night and all the lights on are just a waste of power. They say a lot of the lighting is for security, but I think that criminals would be a lot more visible if they had to sneak around with torches.
Old 24-11-2017, 06:23 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
The sad part is that most of the population is either asleep or indoors at night and all the lights on are just a waste of power. They say a lot of the lighting is for security, but I think that criminals would be a lot more visible if they had to sneak around with torches.
Security lighting with motion detector is more effective and less light polluting. It is only on when needed and criminals get startled when the light suddenly goes on.
I have three downward shining LED outdoor lights in my garden which are only on for a few minutes when somebody is there, so easy to take something in the backyard, so normally it is dark in my backyard.
When observing, I disable them, which means that they stay out.

As you see in the picture in the article is the part of EU I live in (Netherlands) is one of the worst.

Luckily I am able to travel to darker locations like South Africa and next summer I go to another country (actually a continent in itself) which has only 40 million people with almost the size of the USA and has only 4...5 big heavy light polluting cities.

Last edited by skysurfer; 24-11-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Huey (Michael)

Light pollution is getting worse

Perhaps we could start here to tackle climate change. Alert people to the enormous waste of energy and what damage it does to the environment and the planet when we keep the "security" lights on when not needed, or to make landmarks look pretty by bathing them in coloured lights shining upwards.

Huey
Old 24-11-2017, 07:29 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Security lighting with motion detector is more effective and less light polluting. It is only on when needed and criminals get startled when the light suddenly goes on.....
.. and they can finish what they started without need for handheld torches
Old 24-11-2017, 08:19 AM
doppler (Rick)

I think the biggest culprit is street lighting, not home sensor lights which can be a pain when in neighbors yards. The amount of traffic after midnight is negligible, especially in the suburban back streets. We have a couple of whole subdivisions here, no houses yet but the first thing the council does is to turn on the street lights. Turning night into day while most people are sleeping, surely they could drop the voltage and dim most these lights late at night.
Old 24-11-2017, 09:25 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Security lighting with motion detector is more effective and less light polluting. It is only on when needed and criminals get startled when the light suddenly goes on.
I have three downward shining LED outdoor lights in my garden which are only on for a few minutes when somebody is there, so easy to take something in the backyard, so normally it is dark in my backyard.
When observing, I disable them, which means that they stay out.
I haven't been so lucky with LEDs. My neighbour used to have 2 fluoro fittings (each 2 x 60cm tubes) under his eves which shone into our yard. They had previously been fairly well blocked by his carport. I didn't say anything because renovations are continuing. So, one day he is outside with the hole saw and, sure enough, he installs LED downlights under the eves. Great! Sorry, no. They are so bright the reflected light off the light-yellow house is brighter than the flouros were. They are on motion sensors, so every breezy night they are on more often than they are off. When I have insomnia I can make a snack in the kitchen by the light of them with the sunroom curtains closed. [I'm contemplating what to do or say but the situation is tricky.]

Quote:
... and next summer I go to another country (actually a continent in itself) which has only 40 million people with almost the size of the USA and has only 4...5 big heavy light polluting cities.
That sounds like a great place but I know one that is better. Much as you describe but with only 25 million people - and in no hurry to reach 40!!!
Old 24-11-2017, 10:50 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
I think the biggest culprit is street lighting, not home sensor lights which can be a pain when in neighbors yards. The amount of traffic after midnight is negligible, especially in the suburban back streets. We have a couple of whole subdivisions here, no houses yet but the first thing the council does is to turn on the street lights. Turning night into day while most people are sleeping, surely they could drop the voltage and dim most these lights late at night.
G'day Rick, sure it's not this facility?

I think the biggest culprit is actually the commercial sector, incl. retail. They are the least controlled in that respect, and they have the least incentive to cut their light spill now that cheap LED lighting has removed power savings from the equation. Factories, malls, hardware stores, service stations - they can all easily ruin the LP reduction efforts of just about anyone else, and care the least.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Fox

Some 40 years ago, from my childhood home in suburban Mount Waverley, Melbourne, I could just see Vega, Lyra edge above the horizon - I aimed my (Royal LN4T) 4-inch reflector and saw the ghostly donut of M57 for the first time ever. I know many of you will have similar stories... it's heart breaking isn't it...
Fox
Old 28-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Visionary (David)

Last week I experienced a Neurological emergency and found myself in the Neuro ward of Concord Hospital. The room I had overlooked Canada Bay (nice) but.... the entire facade (Canada Bayside) of the Hospital is upwards illuminated with powerful Sodium Vapor lamps. I could not believe the orange glow that was cast by the Hospitals facade and the orange glow that was then cast into the night sky. Though Concord is a great Hospital, these lights are an affront and I will be making a formal complaint.
Old 29-11-2017, 12:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi David
I hope all is OK for you now.
Things won't get better.
There are many companies producing lights and sales managers holding sales meetings pressuring the sales people to sell more lights.
We don't need all the public lighting we have already but these company's need to keep on producing and selling...
So the sales team on a weekly basis are listing all the prospects...councils, car parks, pubs, tennis courts etc ...a salesman is under the gun if he doesn't sell he gets fired...so expect the rate to go up each year...
Alex
Old 29-11-2017, 10:39 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Maybe we need a light pollution tax?
Old 29-11-2017, 11:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have it.
In order to reduce the consumption of coal and the related problems etc all public lighting be fitted with motion sensors so lights can be turned off if no one is around.
Parking lots, etc one can think of many situations where implementation of such an approach would not cause a problem..even lighting on highways and streets...now this will require, supplies, contractors, brown paper bags and all that is good.
And let's not forget the tax and the offsets and incentives.
I see a futuristic add where the modern model couple travel around town with the lights awakening to their royal passage and having arrived at their destination it gets dark to reveal the milky way..slowly fade draw back showing children playing in an abandoned coal mine.
Alex
Old 29-11-2017, 11:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Cats would not go out at night if is was dark and destroy wildlife.
Alex
Old 29-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
.. and they can finish what they started without need for handheld torches

They'd have to be very quick up here, I think muzzle flash only lasts a millisecond or two...............(the beauty of living in an isolated mining area with lots of abandoned shafts)
Old 29-11-2017, 05:51 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Last week I experienced a Neurological emergency and found myself in the Neuro ward of Concord Hospital. The room I had overlooked Canada Bay (nice) but.... the entire facade (Canada Bayside) of the Hospital is upwards illuminated with powerful Sodium Vapor lamps. I could not believe the orange glow that was cast by the Hospitals facade and the orange glow that was then cast into the night sky. Though Concord is a great Hospital, these lights are an affront and I will be making a formal complaint.
I too David live in Concord next to Concord oval most of the week Burwood side
horrendously lit..developments everywhere . l'll move soon enough..Castelreagh where I also live..fantastic by comparison get well
bigjoe
Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
Perhaps we could start here to tackle climate change. Alert people to the enormous waste of energy and what damage it does to the environment and the planet when we keep the "security" lights on when not needed, or to make landmarks look pretty by bathing them in coloured lights shining upwards.

Huey
Unfortunately, this is getting used against us. I've been told a few times "LED lights don't use much power, so we can leave them on overnight now."
Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
I too David live in Concord next to Concord oval most of the week Burwood side
horrendously lit..developments everywhere . l'll move soon enough..Castelreagh where I also live..fantastic by comparison get well
bigjoe
Joe,

There is a horrendous amount of light and sky glow in and about Concord Hospital. I live in Menai facing South, this takes our view out across the South Escarpment (perfectly positioned for the SCP) The difference in light between the two locations is incredible.
Geographically Concord is a wonderful location but light wise I am happy to live further away. Ideally I would love to live under dark skies but unfortunately, I have no choice but to live within driving distance of Concord Hospital.

David