Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 24-11-2017, 01:38 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Telstra tech rang me again after resetting our service etc. Told him the speed test and he said it the best possible...and that it meets minimum service guarantee. What a crock.

Thanks Telstra
Old 24-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Exfso (Peter)

How far are you from the node?
Old 24-11-2017, 08:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

200 metres
Old 24-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Lewis, I am 150metres away and at non peak times get 96Kbps download and around 36Kbps upload. During peak periods it can drop off a bit, but nothing like it used to with IINET running the show. If your speeds are crud both peak and non peak, I suggest it is an ISP problem, and if ok during non peak and dropping right off during peak, it is definitely and ISP problem not having enough backhaul to handle the increased traffic. Many moons ago I had this issue with Telstra when peak periods occurred on ADSL, I left them and went back to Adam Internet who are now IInet, and the rest is history. Actually Telstra said it is what it is and get used to it, after a trip to the TIO I left them. Would not touch them with a barge pole now, the amount of incorrect information they gave me was ridiculous. I now use Aussie Broad band and they are great, you actually get someone who can speak English. Wait times are almost non existent, and during Peak periods, they monitor usage and adjust CVC accordingly.

Last edited by Exfso; 25-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 25-11-2017, 06:42 AM
doppler (Rick)

The best part of the NBN changeover for me was finally being able to give Telstra the boot. My internet is unlimited, no contract, $30 a month cheaper, speed is a bit slow (but faster and more reliable than Telstra's ASDL) and constant even in "peak" periods. Telstra got caught out charging premium prices for not so premium services. Once NBN comes to an area Telstra doesn't own or control the network any more.
Old 25-11-2017, 11:02 AM
toc (Tim)

In my house we normally chew through 400-600 Gig per month with ease - 4 people all streaming video will do that When 8k TV's and content becomes more common, there is no chance our prehistoric network here will cope