Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

My vote would be for the Mesu 200
Old 22-10-2018, 12:53 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
My vote would be for the Mesu 200

In fact this is the mount that i was looking for to buy, someone recommended it highly, but i wasn't sure if Mesu is a high brand or premium anyway, because the only names i hear are :10Micron, AP, and SB[for Paramount models], and i thought anything else isn't a high end at all.
Old 22-10-2018, 12:54 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Other thing is, i don't see so many reviews about Mesu 200, i got few reviews which all said nice things about it, but is that enough to build a decision on? i still have time and no budget yet, and if i get Mesu then i can squeeze more to have a good premium scope too, but i will wait and see more opinions and watching budget hopefully.
Old 22-10-2018, 01:29 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

just had a quick look (it's probably the only reason I'm ever going to have to look at high-end mounts...)

http://www.losmandy.com/hgm-titan.html
Losmandy HGM Titan 100lb instrument/175lb total capacity

https://www.highpointscientific.com/...al-mount-mxred
Software Bisque Paramount MX+, 200lb equipment/payload capacity. A steal at $9000 USD!!
Old 22-10-2018, 01:34 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

and if you do a search on CN for "Any NEGATIVES to a Paramount MX+ ?" there's an interesting thread...
Old 22-10-2018, 02:02 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
just had a quick look (it's probably the only reason I'm ever going to have to look at high-end mounts...)

http://www.losmandy.com/hgm-titan.html
Losmandy HGM Titan 100lb instrument/175lb total capacity

https://www.highpointscientific.com/...al-mount-mxred
Software Bisque Paramount MX+, 200lb equipment/payload capacity. A steal at $9000 USD!!
Mesu 200 will handle up to 100KG [that is 220lb] for half the price, i think if it can handle up to 100KG then if i use something like 40-50kg it will be a joke and it will do perfect, any mount once reaching its limits even very high premium very high end will have issues beyond its limits anyway, so will you buy that premium for less capacity and not lesser one with more capacity and less price?
Old 22-10-2018, 02:03 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Paramount MX+ is rated at 100lb as instrument, but if instrument and counterweight it will be 200lb [don't know what is that], so it is actually 100lb not 200lb and still very expensive, AP is not less, and 10Micron will smash them both in price for same capacity range.
Old 22-10-2018, 04:32 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I read the Paramount specs as OTA + accessories 200lb capacity (payload). Counterweights aren't included in that figure.

It seems all these high end mounts have different price points. Is there a difference in manufacturing materials? Drive assembly? Accuracy? There must be some reason for one being more expensive than others (unless it's related to marketing or something non-performance).

I would have thought at this level the differences come down to precision of performance and quality of manufacture, both of which could add $$$ to the price. The last 5% towards achieving excellence is the most expensive...
Old 22-10-2018, 06:03 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morls View Post
I read the Paramount specs as OTA + accessories 200lb capacity (payload). Counterweights aren't included in that figure.

It seems all these high end mounts have different price points. Is there a difference in manufacturing materials? Drive assembly? Accuracy? There must be some reason for one being more expensive than others (unless it's related to marketing or something non-performance).

I would have thought at this level the differences come down to precision of performance and quality of manufacture, both of which could add $$$ to the price. The last 5% towards achieving excellence is the most expensive...

No answer by me, and well said!
Old 29-10-2018, 08:07 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

mount choce

As Atmos said Mesu 200.
I upgraded to one and since then the mount has been a joy to use with a 2415 MM FL
'scope, as others have said, here and on Stargazers Lounge, you can just forget about the mount. Lucas Mesu is good and prompt to answer questions before and after purchase.

With the magic Sidereal servo controller 11 the go tos and tracking are spot on.
I build a sky map using CDC and have no need to plate solve after polar alignment with Sharpcap (verified by Darve drifts). PHD2 guiding with an off axis guider is pleasingly accurate and the calibration of Phd is a breeze.I have the non split Mesu (as has Billdan on this forum). Both of us routinely get tracking RMS of around .4 seconds, I have had as low as .33 seconds with this long FL scope.

I tried a Losmandy g11 with Gemini 2 but the Mesu with Sidereal puts it to shame.

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-11-2018, 02:12 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muletopia View Post
As Atmos said Mesu 200.
I upgraded to one and since then the mount has been a joy to use with a 2415 MM FL
'scope, as others have said, here and on Stargazers Lounge, you can just forget about the mount. Lucas Mesu is good and prompt to answer questions before and after purchase.

With the magic Sidereal servo controller 11 the go tos and tracking are spot on.
I build a sky map using CDC and have no need to plate solve after polar alignment with Sharpcap (verified by Darve drifts). PHD2 guiding with an off axis guider is pleasingly accurate and the calibration of Phd is a breeze.I have the non split Mesu (as has Billdan on this forum). Both of us routinely get tracking RMS of around .4 seconds, I have had as low as .33 seconds with this long FL scope.

I tried a Losmandy g11 with Gemini 2 but the Mesu with Sidereal puts it to shame.

Cheers
Chris

Great, so another confirmation that i can go with Mesu confidently.

Thank you, Chris!

Now my plan first to get a scope [a premium one] then the mount will be next in my list.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 AM
netwolf

You know when I first joined up here and started with a GSO 10” dob , I always wondered how people afford all this gear. Now many years on, while I have acquired better gear the far greater thing was the journey and the friends I made along the way in this hobby. I am very fortunate to have some great buddies that I coloaborate with a lot and we share our gear. Jokingly as Apoman will often say “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine is mine”.
As well as the many many friends I met via Iceinspace , some sadly not with us today also. The summit of the mountain is a lonely place with no one to share. And then there is the understanding family who play a huge part.

Money and gear both will come in time , the struggle to climb is the fun. Best of all are mates and family who help you climb. My first dob seemed expensive to me then and now the next thing looks expensive there will always be something better around the bend...
Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
You know when I first joined up here and started with a GSO 10” dob , I always wondered how people afford all this gear. Now many years on, while I have acquired better gear the far greater thing was the journey and the friends I made along the way in this hobby. I am very fortunate to have some great buddies that I coloaborate with a lot and we share our gear. Jokingly as Apoman will often say “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine is mine”.
As well as the many many friends I met via Iceinspace , some sadly not with us today also. The summit of the mountain is a lonely place with no one to share. And then there is the understanding family who play a huge part.

Money and gear both will come in time , the struggle to climb is the fun. Best of all are mates and family who help you climb. My first dob seemed expensive to me then and now the next thing looks expensive there will always be something better around the bend...

Beautifully said
Old 13-11-2018, 09:31 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Nice, thank you very much for your comment and words, the net is open to the world.
Old 13-11-2018, 11:44 AM
garymck (Gary)

My Mesu 200 is the ONLY astro purchase I've ever made that I have no regrets about. It has worked perfectly from day 1. I can judge the seeing simply from my guiding rms..... Carries everything from a 12" f5 newt, down to my Esprit 100 without a moments issue. Only wish would be homing sensors, but they would be a just icing on a really nice cake.....

Gary
Old 13-11-2018, 02:04 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
My Mesu 200 is the ONLY astro purchase I've ever made that I have no regrets about. It has worked perfectly from day 1. I can judge the seeing simply from my guiding rms..... Carries everything from a 12" f5 newt, down to my Esprit 100 without a moments issue. Only wish would be homing sensors, but they would be a just icing on a really nice cake.....

Gary

Ok, i think this will save me a lot of money then rather than i go with very expensive 10Micron or Astro-Physics mounts.