Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Cleaning optical glass

I hate to bring up this contentious issue , however, I notice the list of things to avoid when cleaning miscroscope lenses.

Here I am only asking about glass refractive optics. Specifically , the link suggests, do not wipe with ordinary tissue or wipes, only pure cotton swab or specific lense tissue. Perhaps dabbing or absorbing is ok but that is not the cleaning system discussed and I think I will stick to pure cotton.

Interesting that starting with distilled water after blowing is recommended first and only then moving on to lense cleaner for oily spots or in extreme cases alchohol.

https://www.scientifica.uk.com/neuro...our-microscope
Old 09-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Wilso

I think your on the right track there. Start with the simple things first blower, breath etc.
Always follow the manufacturers recommendations though as certain chemicals can effect coatings and materials.
Zeiss have similar recommendations for their gear.
https://microscopy.duke.edu/sites/mi...icroscsope.pdf
Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Thanks for that.

Similar advice in some ways but the bamboo skewer with cotton swab might be not good in the wrongs hands. Mine for example where with a larger lense perhaps the wool or the paper cotton bud would suffice.

There there is the difference regarding wipes.

There have also been questions about Zeiss branded cleaning solutions, which may not always be what they seem or used for the purpose intended .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
I think your on the right track there. Start with the simple things first blower, breath etc.
Always follow the manufacturers recommendations though as certain chemicals can effect coatings and materials.
Zeiss have similar recommendations for their gear.
https://microscopy.duke.edu/sites/mi...icroscsope.pdf
Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Wilso

I think they don’t recommend using the store cotton buds as they can have impurity’s and are generally bound too tight so don’t mould to your lens profile.
The soft lint free lens paper moistened with alcohol I found works excellent in combination with the cotton.
Everyone has their own way in cleaning optical gear, some work better than others depending on the contaminants involved.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

All good points. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
I think they don’t recommend using the store cotton buds as they can have impurity’s and are generally bound too tight so don’t mould to your lens profile.
The soft lint free lens paper moistened with alcohol I found works excellent in combination with the cotton.
Everyone has their own way in cleaning optical gear, some work better than others depending on the contaminants involved.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Is it me, but whilst I appreciate it is always good to be cautious, people do "molly coddle" their gear a lot.

I have never ever even as a Pro photographer cleaned a sensor, ever, rarely ever clean lenses except with a "Lens pen", and use them on my eyepieces also

https://lenspen.com/

THIS is how to clean scopes and cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us
Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

I've used a big blower and packets of camera lens cleaning tissue and lens cleaning liquid they sell in local photography shops without any issue cleaning eyepieces and some telescope objectives.

I later bought the Orion lens cleaning tissues, which are a bit softer and the Orion lens cleaning liquid. That worked fine too.

For cleaning the front element of an SCT, Celestron recommended using Iso Propyl alcohol (not the type one rubs on sore muscles, but the other type) and I used that with lens cleaning tissue, and that worked fine too.
Regards,
Renato
Old 10-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

I suppose I am cautious as different manufactures of glass lenses for different uses recommend different procedures. Takahashi for example recommend only lense cleaning fluid and cotton for the coated flourite and uncoated interior lenses and for some particular lenses in the instruction manual specifically advise against the use of alchohol or specific cleaning additives.

The recommendations for miscroscope lenses are similar (from the links ) as, I would imagine, micro scratches from wipes will become a problem over time and the lenses must be absolutely clean. Perhaps this is similar to high focal length refractors except they are only cleaned when absolutely necessary. I suspect the answers is always, which refractor, which glass, which coating, what does the manufacturer recommend.

Things that would not affect a camera lense may affect other lenses.

Most SCT correctors on the other hand are forgiving, have robust coatings , probably similar to a camera lense, and are going get moist and dirty without this being a major problem in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Is it me, but whilst I appreciate it is always good to be cautious, people do "molly coddle" their gear a lot.

I have never ever even as a Pro photographer cleaned a sensor, ever, rarely ever clean lenses except with a "Lens pen", and use them on my eyepieces also

https://lenspen.com/

THIS is how to clean scopes and cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us

Last edited by Sunfish; 10-06-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Hemi

After lots of googling and asking questions,

I cleaned the corrector of my SCT with a mix of demineralised water, Windex, isopropyl alcohol and washing up liquid. I have the exact formula if needed. I also used it on the mirror. I think a final rinse with pure alcohol and the water really helps as the windex solution can leave some residue if you are too gentle with the wiping.

Used the rocket blower first, then running under a tap/sprinkler. Then wiped with continuous running water and a solution soaked pad of some description:

Tried cotton balls, Kleenex, cotton tips etc: the best was definitely PEC Pads (as so many have recommended). I found them at my local camera house!

Cheers

Hemi