Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Anyone prescribed Statins

As the thread title states I am interested in hearing from people that have been prescribed Statins and can enlighten me of any side effects they have experienced. The Statin I am particularly interested in hearing users views is Crestor.

pm me of your experience to save boring other IIS readers.
Old 22-05-2018, 07:52 PM
JA

Potential side effects of Memory loss and if you're really lucky muscle loss await. The first statin developed and put to market by Merck Had to be recalled or withdrawn from market because of all sorts of issues which I think also included misrepresentation.

There is belief among some professionals that the real benefit of statins comes from their ability to reduce inflammation rather than any cholesterol reduction.

This is not to be construed as medical advice. In the words of my dad: "be a little bit your own doctor"

I will see if I can find reference to the initial release I spoke of.

Best
JA
Old 22-05-2018, 08:12 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I am on Crestor .... it's effect on me is ' tiredness ' .
Crestor is prescribed for my Cholesterol Levels.... after my Heart Op.

I was put on Lipator first , but it played havoc with my Liver.

Col......

Last edited by FlashDrive; 22-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:24 PM
glend (Glen)

Crestor is simply a brand name, it is a Statin much like all the rest. Get used to it, I have been on Statins for 15 years and for me they are not the horror story some may have. Any of these sort of drugs can have initial effects that people either adapt to, or stop noticing for the most part.

Statins have saved many lives. The sideshow is worth the reward of still being around.
Old 22-05-2018, 10:02 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
I have had 3 different statins following a heart attack, Lipitor, Rosuvastatin and Pravastin. The first 2 gave me unbelievable muscle pain and I had to stop taking them. Took a month for the pain to go away. The third lot nearly hospitalised me with breathing difficulties. This was with the lowest dose available. I was prescribed them not to lower cholesterol, but because I was told that they reduce the risk of further heart attacks by stabilising the plaques in the arteries.

I suggest you look at the actual risk reduction that taking them produces. After I looked at the data from peer reviewed studies(NOT vague online sites trying to sell you something), I decided that, for me, the drugs were worse than the so-called benefits they provided.

When reviewing these studies i found that often the percentage improvements seemed terrific, but when you looked closer you found that the old adage "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics" held true. For example some studies quoted a 20% reduction in heart attacks over say 10 years. Sounds great? But what if the 20% reduction meant that there were 5 heart attacks per 100 patients rather than 6 per 100 patients over 10 years? I'd call that a 1% improvement, not a 20% improvement but then I'm not trying to sell you a drug...

Anyway, I've cancelled further cardiologist appointments as in MY CASE I've judged the benefits not worth the hassle.

Don't take this as advice to you, it's not, it's only my experience. I'm not a doctor. You should discuss this with whoever wants to prescribe you the statins. Take a copy of the studies with you to them - I did. Amazing to see the look on an doctors face when you rock up with a manilla folder of studies and query them.....

FWIW
Gary
Old 23-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Hans,

I've been on Crestor for about 2 years now.

I did research them and the possible side effects but can happily report that I have not experienced any of them.
Old 23-05-2018, 11:19 AM
bojan
amateur

I am on statins for 10 years.. not aware of any side effects (maybe I don't remember ) ...
Or I am used to whatever there is
Old 23-05-2018, 12:31 PM
glend (Glen)

This thread should really be considering the differences between the use of Statins in Primary prevention and Secondary prevention. In Primary prevention Statins are offered or prescribed to control cholesteral in folks that have not experienced cardio-vascular disease or heart attacks or strokes. It is preventative treatment. This is the group of people where Statins could be seen as "optional", and if they are over 75 yo and still have no evidence of disease, there is little evidence in the papers I have read that they make any difference to overall life span, in fact may have slight negative impacts.
Secondary prevention is a whole different world, as these folks have known cardio-vascular disease, or have had heart attacks or strokes. For these people Statins can prevent another event and potentially save their lives, and they must take them for life regardless if their age.

As someone who has taken them for 15 years, I am in the Primary category, no evidence of any cardio-vascular disease, and the extensive testing I have had done, including vascular sonagraphs, and brain scans, show no potential narrowing of any vessels. So why do I take them - family history.

However, my family history took place long before current medications, testing, and preventative procedures were available. Both my Dad and Granddad would have probably lived much longer if they were living today, and had access to stents, blood pressure medications, and Statins. So be glad that they exist is my view.

Last edited by glend; 23-05-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Belated thanks to all those that provided feedback. Decided to go with the medical advice and start taking the statin medication...and the daily low dose aspirin.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Belated thanks to all those that provided feedback. Decided to go with the medical advice and start taking the statin medication...and the daily low dose aspirin.
Yep, daily low dose aspirin is a proven anti-clotting agent, and it also lowers risk of bowel cancer. I have taken it for a long time. Try to use the products like Cartia, which have a slow release coating, which prevents stomach irritation that you can get from taking uncoated aspirin alone. Cartia is usually 75mg dose.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Wavytone

Hans I've been taking Crestor for years, no side effects. It is effective re cholesterol. Initially I was on a different one that let me feeling terribly fatigued - had to switch from that.

But I'm not a heart attack risk - blood pressure is fine and I stay fit thanks to sports and regular gym sessions.