Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

wet camera

You have heard about the storm over Tassie. My roof of obsy leaked and most of it dripped over 24 hrs into a plastic tub whose lid had come loose. In that was mostly cables and a canon battery charger but there was also my USB DFK camera. I mean it was fully immersed for at least 24hrs!
Is it worth drying it out slowly and trying it or is in bin fodder now? I can't hear any water inside the casing now after a day in front of the fire.
What about the rest of the cables ,charger etc? too dangerous to try?
Graz
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I would imagine that as long as only water got inside (no grit) and you wait until it is absolutely 100% dry before trying to power it again. It should be okay.

From a completely unprofessional source, I would suggest waiting until its dry and then giving what you can of the internals a wipe down to clear any residue. Letting it dry again and then giving it a shot.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM
garymck (Gary)

Give it a full week to dry....

I once spilled a large mug of hot coffee into the guts of a laptop. Pulled the power, removed the battery and ran a tap through the internals. Put it on it's side and left a fan blowing on it for a week. It powered up first time and is still going 6 years later.....

cheers
Gary
Old 12-05-2018, 09:34 AM
DeepSkySlacker

wet camera

That's good news- will persist with my drying then. Cheers all!!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM
glend (Glen)

What they said but i would also suggest, after the below drying period, stick it in a plastic box with a good dehumidifier canister for about a week just to be sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
stick it in a plastic box with a good dehumidifier canister
Raw rice works quite well too.
When i filled an EP with water once, i put it in a bag of rice and then stuck it all inside the case of my Class A amplifier near the heatsinks :-)
Worked a treat.
Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 12:57 PM
JA

^+1 for the rice. Although I used plain old medium grain white rice on a video camera's flip out LCD screen whose cover had become heavily fogged inside with water vapour after use in the rain. I folded out the screen and placed the screen in a large tall glass and then slowly filled the glass with rice all around the screen. It also helped that I dislodged the screen slightly to provide a tiny gap.

Open your camera if possible to get maximum water out and then try similar

Best
JA
Old 12-05-2018, 01:02 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday JA
Quote:
Although I used plain old medium grain white rice
Me too
By raw i meant uncooked/unwashed

Andrew
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM
leon

All is not lost, all top ideas here, you will be surprised how it will dry out and power up again.
Rice and/or dehumidifier sachets is a must though IMHO.

leon
Old 21-05-2018, 12:43 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Yes spend the time to dry it, take longer than you think to be safe. As best you can before plugging in open everything you can and check for wetness and signs of discolouration anywhere. Give everything a clean in pure distilled water or alcohol. if theres wetness inside I suggest a day soaking in pure distilled water then drying opened in parts in rice/dehumidifier etc. Be careful of dust from the rice, pour it in parts from bag into a sieve and shake out the dust first.

Be mindful water (H2O) is not harmful to electronics typically its the mineral salts that get dissolved easily in water that create and electrical pathway so when you power on a device it short circuits itself. After drying the water evaporates leaving behind a thin coating of these salts which can still provide a short circuit pathway. Even a quick test power on is all it takes to destroy the device if you're impatient, so just dont until you've done as much as you can to prevent damage. Expose as much of the circuit boards as you can this allows air to circulate better and draw off excess moisture. Capillary action can draw it into the edges/layers of the circuit boards and between protective layers of the sensor so look for signs there. using a QTip and isopropyl alcohol gently clean every square mm of the circuitry front and back, sides top to bottom, everywhere. be carefully around the edge of the sensor and tilt against the light, if you can see any surface oddities on the sensor, dont touch it as pressure may draw in any tiny water at the edge of its layers still even if you cant see it.

Leave it open in a drying box away from sunlight, pets, dust as best you can. Leave it for a week and examine circuit boards with magnifying glass. Humidity and air in this time may have started the corrosion process on solder joints or components. Capacitors tend to react fast and start leaking to carefully check electrlytic types (the little "cans" with two pins going into the circuit board from underneath. The tiny gaps between the pin legs of surface mounted chips are also a fast place for corrosion or mineral salts from water to form bridging connections. When you have carefully taken the time to clean, dry and inspect it all, then reassemble (take necessary notes when you disassemble so you can put together properly, look for areas there may have been grease used as a gasket seal), and power on from there. I'd leave it on for several hours without cooling fans if the camera can be safely run like that just to allow the metals to expand and drive off any more moisture. The let cool. Personally at that point I would reopen and wiper everything down again with qtips, as any moisture would have evaporated but in a sealed camera it has no where to escape and would have condensed again inside. Check for that, if visible droplets then there still too much moisture inside the system, clean with alcohol, redry for longer and repeat test. If you're in a humid location empty a closet to put the dry box in along with a dehumidifier, close closet up for week or two, also put dehumifier in the room too and keep closed.

Also contact manufacturer, they may be able to service the camera (do all the above in proper environment) for you for a fee. Or bin the camera (send to me! and buy a new one and fix shed leaks.

Hope it works out for you though, no reason it shouldn't really. but it only take a tiny amount of water or encrusted mineral salts to create and electrical short which can fry a device. Its best to be slow and methodical and never be impatient or cut corners. I would look at possible ways you may be able to add drying desicant inside that wont short anything or move around or crumble near the sensor etc. Something to leave until summer when humidity is less then remove it. Think paranoid. There are some good but expensive products available for cleaning and protecting conductive surfaces to avoid corrosion buildup, speak to Jaycar or similar.

Electronic devices are generally well sealed to avoid water getting inside, though maybe not water resistant tested/or rated its just part of good design to have things as well enclosed to avoid bugs/dust/ children with paper clips being about to reach anything and causing a short. Often small air vents are too small to overcome the surface tension of water keeping it outside.

Also some devices are designed to never be opened, some cameras have sensors compartmentalised by an inert gas like argon to reduce/avoid static buildup that can effect things, so double check your camera spec first and contact the manufacturer for advice.
Old 21-05-2018, 01:22 PM
deanm (Dean)

I once managed to pour a litre of water into a laptop.
I put it in an electric oven set as low as possible with oven fans going and the oven door ajar.
After a day or so of such drying, the laptop fired up fine!
Dean
Old 21-05-2018, 01:41 PM
DeepSkySlacker

wet camera

it's currently sitting in a tub of rice. I think I will leave it another week...