Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 22-05-2018, 01:02 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
how can the Size of the Universe be about 94 Billion light years?
Depends on your view of "c"... and your belief that it is constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
Old 22-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
Depends on your view of "c"... and your belief that it is constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light
VSL theories mainly propose that ‘c’ had a different value early in the life of the universe. How does that help explain a 94 billion light year diameter universe ? In any case The speed of light in the early universe having a value of 1000c or more does not have any evidence to support it
Old 22-05-2018, 09:15 PM
JA

Quote:
VSL theories mainly propose that ‘c’ had a different value early in the life of the universe. How does that help explain a 94 billion light year diameter universe ? In any case The speed of light in the early universe having a value of 1000c or more does not have any evidence to support it
Within THAT construct ..... given a high enough speed, it is explicable.

Best
JA
Old 23-05-2018, 10:26 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
How does that help explain a 94 billion light year diameter universe ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Within THAT construct ..... given a high enough speed, it is explicable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_problem

Quote:
In any case The speed of light in the early universe having a value of 1000c or more does not have any evidence to support it
Neither did Einstein's theory when it was first published...
Old 23-05-2018, 11:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex The Supreme Being of this fine establishment has surfaced from the chasm of Hades ladies and gentlemen and must surely realise that for a steady state model of the universe to hold matter must appear from nothingness at some non zero rate in order to comply with observation and data humans have amassed thus far

The cosmic egg was cracked, beaten, cooked and served as scrambled egg with toast a very long time ago Alex
Supreme being? You are kidding right.
I am the resident mug and crack pot.
I guess that I am trying to demonstrate how I can respect mainstream and its approach then ignore it to then shore up my belief ...now thats reasonable surely.

Alex
Old 23-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Supreme being? You are kidding right.
I am the resident mug and crack pot.
I guess that I am trying to demonstrate how I can respect mainstream and its approach then ignore it to then shore up my belief ...now thats reasonable surely.

Alex

The great Socrates judged those around him by the questions they raised and attempted to answer
Old 24-05-2018, 09:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
The great Socrates judged those around him by the questions they raised and attempted to answer
Who is this Socrates?
Is he on the High Court?
I dislike the judgement of others as I always seem to be judged harshly and I avoid judging others but making judgement does often cross my mind I suppose because it is a human condition.
I like my responce to most things..."things just are" which avoids the waste of time judging and indulging stress or even anger.
Alex
Old 27-05-2018, 01:33 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Who is this Socrates?
Is he on the High Court?
I dislike the judgement of others as I always seem to be judged harshly and I avoid judging others but making judgement does often cross my mind I suppose because it is a human condition.
I like my responce to most things..."things just are" which avoids the waste of time judging and indulging stress or even anger.
Alex

Judging, not in the sense of criticism or moral superiority but rather recognising or appreciating.
Old 27-05-2018, 01:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Judging, not in the sense of criticism or moral superiority but rather recognising or appreciating.
It must be hard to undertaken such an assessment of other humans without considering their failings as one would rank them to whatever values followed.
I was always a problem at school asking questions that the rest of the class would laugh at but the teacher would give me that strange look as I he saw the problem as I did.
I was probably classed dangerous because I thought about things a lot.
I now know that one is best not to ask a question unlesss you already know the answer.
Alex
Old 29-05-2018, 01:12 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
It must be hard to undertaken such an assessment of other humans without considering their failings as one would rank them to whatever values followed.
I was always a problem at school asking questions that the rest of the class would laugh at but the teacher would give me that strange look as I he saw the problem as I did.
I was probably classed dangerous because I thought about things a lot.
I now know that one is best not to ask a question unlesss you already know the answer.
Alex

The Socratic method of teaching and education revolves around the posing of questions.

In many education systems around the world today, the emphasis seems to be on discipline, following routines, being on time, completing tests, and jumping through various official hoops which creates an atmosphere where certain questions cannot be entertained in the class room environment.

It has even affected the progress of Science and Technology.
Where are the Big ideas today? The Big Dreams? Doing Science freely, and for the sake of it, rather than meeting corporate goals, or improving efficiencies so that more profit can be made. Or designing new weapons, new spy technology etc.

I have professionally experienced it myself and it saps the soul and dampens the spirit. Eventually, being paid to fit into this restrictive neurotic asylum isn't enough to keep one interested.

Astronomy and music are great hobbies for me in that they can counter this state of dull drabness

cheers
Old 29-05-2018, 08:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So here is a question..do you play any musical instruments?
Alex
Old 30-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
So here is a question..do you play any musical instruments?
Alex

stringed instruments mainly (and the odd piano and synthesiser)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF0405.jpg)
200.8 KB15 views

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 30-05-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 30-05-2018, 11:47 AM
JA

^26 String Guitar eh..??

Best
JA
Old 30-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
^26 String Guitar eh..??

Best
JA

There's more were those came from, including a sitar with 6 strings (+13 sympathetic) and Mandolin....

......who's counting

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 30-05-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 30-05-2018, 04:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So how can you feel jaded in this world when you have access to such wonders...let the world do its science wrong..
In fact I think I have some lyrics for a neat song re the hole science has fallen into.

Please Peter dont let the wisdom of your expeience blind you to the possibility that good may emerge from the corporate mess.
If you think about it tbe corporate approach will produce family fortunes that will have kids playing at home on this project or that just like in the "old" days.

I play guitar and love my three string cigar box guitar ...I would like a sitar more than anything.
Alex
Old 31-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Progress in Art and Science are driven from the same place

The sitar has a pumpkin, sometimes more than one. Look at a typical bridge on a sitar. It is large, flat and has a slight curve which produces that twangy ringing sound - like the buzzing noise on a worn out guitar fret. Underneath the main raised fret board and strings are many sympathetic strings which aren't plucked but vibrate as the instrument is played. Very harsh on the finger tips)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sitar_bridge.jpg)
72.5 KB5 views

Last edited by Eratosthenes; 31-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 31-05-2018, 03:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Most interesting.
I have never really looked at one.
The bridge and sympathetic string I was ignorant about.
How clever.
My electric does the sympathitic thing all by itself and I get surprised by what I am playing ...wound up it sounds like a room full of guitars.
Check out the three string approach..its something you pick up play for a while get board and never play it again..and you can only do so much but I kept at it and it is not as simple as it looks...E B and E or similar..you need to be creative to get something decent out of it. S cales are not that easy and even scale notes can sound wrong although in key..
Alex
Old 31-05-2018, 03:51 PM
JA

Quote:
There's more were those came from, including a sitar with 6 strings (+13 sympathetic) and Mandolin....

......who's counting
Mandolin eh .... ????

My thoughts went immediately to Nino Rota's Parla Piu Piano from The Godfather ....

Do you do it?

Best
JA
Old 31-05-2018, 11:57 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Quote:
Mandolin eh .... ????

My thoughts went immediately to Nino Rota's Parla Piu Piano from The Godfather ....

Do you do it?

Best
JA

About 25 years I visited a string of Sam Ash music stores in New York, hoping to buy a Vintage American made Fender or Gibson guitar, but instead bought a mandolin with a pick-up. (worth $940 (US) which was about $1350 (AU) at the time, and over $2,700 if I bought it in Australia - so a pretty good deal).

The reason I bought it was that I found out that standard Mandolin tuning is the reverse of a BASS guitar or the reverse of four strings on a standard guitar. Much easier to learn how to play because you can flip chord structures and melodies etc already known on a normal guitar and play them on a Mandolin - plus when recording music the mandolin can lifts songs, by providing those higher clean notes. Great instrument. (.....and could be carried on as hand luggage - one of the first things I tried to play on the Mandolin was the Battle of Evermore)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mandolin1.jpg)
9.5 KB5 views