Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-05-2018, 12:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Celestron CGX PWI Software Update Released

Celestron has quietly released an update of the CGX PWI control software. It is accessed from the download page but there is no indication that your getting the new file until you see the file designation. Thanks to skaiser on CN for tipping me off to this. There is a CN thread on this in the Mount forum.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...he-heck-is-it/

Check posts #14 & #15.

Details of the update are: File designation 'PWI4', version 1.2.1.99, created on 2/2/17. The included ASCOM file is dated 13/05/2018.

I have loaded this update on my observatory laptop and had a quick look. It is certainly an improvement, and it picked up my location data from the original verision I had installed. More features, looks like it solves now, has a catalog and online access to more.

We need to get some CGX owners to test this update.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Celestron has quietly released an update of the CGX PWI control software. It is accessed from the download page but there is no indication that your getting the new file until you see the file designation. Thanks to skaiser on CN for tipping me off to this. There is a CN thread on this in the Mount forum.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...he-heck-is-it/

Check posts #14 & #15.

Details of the update are: File designation 'PWI4', version 1.2.1.99, created on 2/2/17. The included ASCOM file is dated 13/05/2018.

I have loaded this update on my observatory laptop and had a quick look. It is certainly an improvement, and it picked up my location data from the original verision I had installed. More features, looks like it solves now, has a catalog and online access to more.

We need to get some CGX owners to test this update.
I wonder if CGEMS could use this?
Old 22-05-2018, 09:14 PM
glend (Glen)

PWI Software Review

I have completed initial testing of the latest release of the Celestron PWI control software for the CGX mount. I am very happy with this upgrade, and it delivers on much of the original promises made when the mount was first released.
Direct connectivity from the mount to the laptop, no hand controller required. ASCOM support. SGP connects and controls via the Equipment Section of SGP.
Good Pointing Model, precise Goto's, good pick list, etc.
You can find my complete test review here on CN:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...-12199-review/

I encourage all CGX users to give it a try. A big step forward, imho.
Old 23-05-2018, 11:53 PM
glend (Glen)

Well i spoke too soon. Further testing of the new PWI software release has uncovered a significant problem that crops up when crossing the Meridian. A simple Goto from a target in the east to one in the West, crossing the southern Meridian, bogs down and stops. RA and DEC angles look all wrong. All setting are correct, as is the location data, and the 9 point model gives precision alignment. As of now it's probably not useable for imaging, where a flip might be required. Very disappointing.