#1  
Old 24-11-2013, 12:06 AM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 711
DSLR monitor with HDMI input?

Can anyone recommend a small colour LCD monitor with HDMI input so that I can get a larger live view image from my DSLR?

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-11-2013, 08:17 AM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,569
if you are after something to enlarge like that might be time you used a laptop. my eyes are shoddy and getting worse with age, I am finding the use of the laptop to focus and acquire the images of extreme benefit. Just a thought.

the other thing i Bought was a 12volt 19" Lcd tv from aldi - has dvd and the hdmi input, though to be honest i haven't used that yet
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-11-2013, 11:15 AM
killswitch's Avatar
killswitch (Edison)
Registered User

killswitch is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Western Sydney, NSW
Posts: 537
If you own an Android tablet, you can use helicon remote via USB for live view and even control the camera.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-11-2013, 01:09 PM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
if you are after something to enlarge like that might be time you used a laptop. my eyes are shoddy and getting worse with age, I am finding the use of the laptop to focus and acquire the images of extreme benefit. Just a thought.

the other thing i Bought was a 12volt 19" Lcd tv from aldi - has dvd and the hdmi input, though to be honest i haven't used that yet
Thanks David. I must admit that I hadn't given my laptop a thought. It's got an HDMI port but I'll have to check whether it can accept HDMI input (as opposed to output).

I was envisaging a smallish (say 6" screen) either fixed on the mount or just loose on the bench. The DSLR screen is typically facing the floor and about 800 mm above it, making it quite difficult to see (I've got the failing eyesight problem too), and I keep forgetting to get a mirror to help view the screen.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24-11-2013, 01:12 PM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
If you own an Android tablet, you can use helicon remote via USB for live view and even control the camera.
Thanks Ed. I hadn't heard of helicon remote before but have just checked it out (no secrets now how people get such great DoF in their macro shots!). It's a possibility, but I'd still prefer a small dedicated screen. I see that you can buy the software for either Android or Win/Mac.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Occulta's Avatar
Occulta (Chris)
Registered User

Occulta is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 146
HDMI input monitor

Chris

A few here. The F&V looks good and the video is worthwhile to look at.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/9-monitors-hdmi

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Andy Walters (Andy)
andyw

Andy Walters is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hery Bay Qld.
Posts: 52
Hi Chris,
you don't need hdmi to connect to a laptop, just usb.
Cheers Andy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-11-2013, 11:15 PM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulta View Post
Chris

A few here. The F&V looks good and the video is worthwhile to look at.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/9-monitors-hdmi

Chris
Thanks Chris - certainly some variety and big $$ there!
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Walters View Post
Hi Chris,
you don't need hdmi to connect to a laptop, just usb.
Cheers Andy.
Thanks Andy, but my camera has just HDMI output for live view mode.
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-11-2013, 05:52 AM
SteveInNZ
Registered User

SteveInNZ is offline
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Posts: 216
Look for some of the suppliers of DSLR video gear (like follow-focus, etc). They have small, battery powered monitors with HDMI or composite input. They're not too cheap though.
If you also have composite video output, you can use the portable DVD players that have a second screen.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-11-2013, 12:04 AM
redbeard's Avatar
redbeard (Damien)
Registered User

redbeard is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 424
http://www.audioproducts.com.au/Prod...pid=TT-MONITOR

We have one at work and appears to work really well. Runs from 5volt too.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27-11-2013, 10:24 PM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
Look for some of the suppliers of DSLR video gear (like follow-focus, etc). They have small, battery powered monitors with HDMI or composite input. They're not too cheap though.
If you also have composite video output, you can use the portable DVD players that have a second screen.
Thanks Steve - I'll have a look there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
http://www.audioproducts.com.au/Prod...pid=TT-MONITOR

We have one at work and appears to work really well. Runs from 5volt too.

Cheers
Thanks Damien. That device looks like it would do the job but it's probably pricey. I'll contact the agent to find out....

Chris
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement