Old 21-07-2008, 10:32 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinglizard View Post
Thx for the advice, another question for you, I set my scope up last night before dark, wife and I had tea cleaned up kiddy to bed ect, then went out to the scope and it was like it had been hosed down it was that wet with dew, The cover was on, should I be covering it (the hole scope) with something to stop this?? Also the EQ5 mount I have, the leg with N on it to face to North, but my father reckons that should point south in the southern hemisphere?
Hi fishinglizard,
You should have the leg with north, pointing north, all my scopes are set up like this as it makes it easier start to align the scope to the poles with a compass, I don't think it matters really as long as the scopes mount can be turned without having to turn the whole scope, legs and all to align it to the poles. As for your dew problem well....a plastic tarp does help if you are going to leave the scope unattended for some time outside. But I also have found covering the finder with a plastic bag as well decreases the chance of dew formation, Always cover the main tube with it's cover before leaving it unattended. (a tent with a annex can be a handy cheap obsevatory for your back yard - see http://www.rodroger.com/rr/rodrogers...ts_Astro1.html - my site - see photo's at bottom of page for my tent setup)

Another problem you will find is dew formation while in use. The only way to stop this is the use of - 1. a dew shield, 2. the use of a hair dryer to dry the mirrors etc or 3. get yourself (make yourself or purchase) some dew heaters which are readily available for various size scopes and will keep the dew of the mirrors & lens. Depending on the scope you are using will depend on the dew heaters used.
For my Meade SCT I use a dew heater on the Finder scope, eyepieces and main corrector.
On my Newtonion I use dew heaters on my Finder and eyepiece only as the internal mirrors generaly don'y have too much problem unless I am observing close to the zenith for a period of time and dew may form on the secondary mirror and partially affect the main mirror but this does not happen very often

Last edited by rodroger; 21-07-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Typo error for url
Old 21-07-2008, 12:21 PM
oggie doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodroger View Post
Hi fishinglizard,
You should have the leg with north, pointing north,
Is that true?
I thought that the North leg had to point South in the southern hemisphere.
Old 28-07-2008, 01:19 AM
rodroger (Rodney)
Rod Burgess

Only easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggie doggie View Post
Is that true?
I thought that the North leg had to point South in the southern hemisphere.

Hi,
No it does not have to point north but it makes it's easier if you are new to the sky and you want to use a compass to help align the scope using the middle leg to piont at north, just makes it easier this.
The section under Projects & Articles on this site has a blurb on the use of magnetic north to align your scope depending on your location and suggests this method.

I found on most scopes, it really dosn't matter as long as you can polar align the scope. I use the drift method to get it spot on with the help of a illuminated cross-haired eyepiece 12.5mm Meade and either a x3 barlows or x2 barlows depending on the focal length of the scope.
And generaly always set my scopes up with middle leg pointing approximately north first, then check the mount at three points with a bubble level and adjust as necessary before using the drift method.

Takes time but worth the effort in having a nicely aligned scope for the night, especially for pictures and video.
Old 29-07-2008, 07:40 PM
HawkeyeDaNew (Rob)

Hello, call me new to space? I call me pre-new!

Hi all

I'm new to night, shall i say (no, not vampires) but soooo keen to get into it! I live in Perth, as people can probably see from my details (if they show them, don't know, see i'm that new :p ). I've been interested in getting into this, well "hobby" (if it can indeed be called that) for some time, but never got around to it, and now, well after reading a few articles and seeing the clear night sky from my parents farm (in Margaret River WA for those interested) i can no longer resist. So here i am!

I hope to soon move to Darwin with my partner, so hope to be able to see the sky (space) from Margaret River before moving onto the more northerly latitudes. Don't currently have a telescope, but going to get one in the next few days (sadly will have to wait further, as i've seen they're so much cheaper in the US, and add the amazing exchange rate, can't resist).

So, to end, hi all, I hope to make this a hobby, i need one of them, as my partner is away at the moment, nothing other then the box to watch at night.

Hawk

(if the original "hawkeye" is reading, apologies, love MASH, and always been my nick, don't mean to be stealing it...)
Old 29-07-2008, 07:59 PM
duncan
Duncan

Hi Rob,
Welcome to IIS. You'll get all the help you want from this site but you will have to be patient. Most are probably outside enjoying the nights delights.Only reasons i'm on is waiting for replies and it is lousy seeing conditions up here at the moment.Nice clear skies but lots of turbulence in the Atmosphere.
Anyhow if you have any questions fire away and someone will answer them for you.
Cheers,
Duncan
Old 29-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Hi Rob,

Welcome to IIS. Like Duncan has said if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. There are many helpful and well experinced members here that will answer any questions or queries you may have.

What type of telescope are you thinking of purchasing?

Clear skies.
Old 29-07-2008, 08:15 PM
garyp
coffee time

Hi Rob to IIS. There's Plenty of good knowledgable people here to answer all your questions. Make the most of it

Gary.
Old 31-07-2008, 12:14 AM
bipedalhumanoid (James)

Hi

I found this site as part of my campaign to get the Star Stuff radio programme back on the air.

http://www.gopetition.com.au/online/20716.html

While i signed up to participate in a thread on that topic I've always been interested in Astronomy so intend to hang around. I used to have a 12.5" Meade star finder dobsononian but had to sell it when I moved from Australia to Ireland 6 years ago.

I haven't replaced it yet because the weather is pretty much crap here 100% of the time. If/when I move back to Australia I'd definitely be in the market for an equatorial mounted scope (the dob was a pain in the hole).

I spent 4 weeks in Australia recently and took the opportunity to check out the cosmological centre in Charleville. The sky out there is incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Well that's me.
Old 31-07-2008, 05:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Steve, thanks for the introduction. Your campaign to get starstuff back on has been commendable

I look forward to your continued contributions on IIS!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
NickontheCoast

um..a beginner so I'm starting here!

Greetings from someone who just got told he's getting a Dob for his birthday. Guess that means I'll be spending time here and plenty of time staring into the wide black yonder. Yes.. I promise to read through the forum, but expect a few newbie posts ... the family is looking at a 6 or 8" dob (see how easy it is to fall into this!) so we're off to buy it this weekend. Any advice warmly received and I look forward to catching up again online....tks

Nick
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yeah Nick - being given a scope! Wonderful! Now, insist on the 8" even if you have to pay the difference!

ps. Welcome! Ask anything you want? Post observing reports!
Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
rastis95 (Scott)
Cant wait for clear skies

Beginner as well

Hey Nick,
I was in the same boat as you earlier this year, ive always been interested in astronomy and i finally decided to get a telescope. I ended up using a 302 bintel dob from sydney. Through doing a bit of reaserch, and my beginner level, the dob seemed to be the way to go. I agree with eric, go for the 8 inch you wont be disappointed. I went the 12 inch dob as i wanted a good appeture and something that i will be using for many years to come. Good luck when you get your new scope and if your like me once you look through the eyepiece the first time you will be hooked.
Cheers
Scott
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Nick and Scott, to IceInSpace!

Keep asking questions, we're more than happy to help.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
rastis95 (Scott)

Mike,
Just a quick question, I have been having a little trouble collimating my Newtonian reflector scope, when viewing stars and the like i get crisp images but viewing planets all i get is a blurry planet with very minimal detail. Is this misalignment or just bad seeing. Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Scott
Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
NickontheCoast

Buying this weekend....

I've 'found' that extra for the 8" .. no new CPU for me for a while! The dob seems to be the advice from most so it's the basis of my search this weekend. Fortunately we live out of town with only one streetlight near home and a wide open paddock behind us, so I'm going to claim a spot for myself as soon as I can. Apart from arming myself with as much stuff as I can download (we did some minor star gazing for my wife's ed degree a year or two back), some books and hot drinks (still bloody cold!)..what should be on my buy list when I get the dob? I see the advantage in a EQ mount, but will wait. Collimation kit? I'm happy to be able to just scope around - the moon, major things while I learn and then gradually build up as I see fit. Tks and more to come ...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
rastis95 (Scott)

Collimation tool is one of the first things I had to buy seperate, I use an orion brand with very little hassel, the only other thing i have bought so far is a 25mm meade wide angle eyepeice, hope you have clear skys on the weekend
Cheers
Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK Nick, some very basic needs:- Comfy chairs to sit in while you wait your turn at the eyepiece. Some form of stool to sit at while observing - an old gaslift office chair can be useful. You can see a lot sitting at an 8". Standing will hurt your back over time - the eyepiece is often a bit low. A redlight torch for when you need light that won't destroy your night vision. Everyready sell one you can put on your head that will show white light - great when packing up later - or a single red led. About $36 in the supermarket. But there are cheaper options (really cheap if you make one yourself http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,278,0,0,1,0 ). A Planisphere - get the big one. It's either that or memorise the sky soon, or drag your computer out with you (then you need a red filter for the screen!)

Yes, and get that collimating tool. Start with a cheshire collimating tool.

Happy observing! Tell us what you see!

Last edited by erick; 08-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM
NickontheCoast

Creature comforts

Yes Eric...I'm beginning to understand that creature comforts are almost as important as the equipment! .. I am fortunate, I hope, as I have some decent viewing potential in my back yard .. well, over the barbed wire fence (careful!) .. mostly to the west. Without much work I can get to the east in a comfy spot as well, friendly neighbours... Living on a hill can have its advantages...tks again for the advice and look forward to some reports..!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
NickontheCoast

It's Sunday morning ... yawn....

Ok..so who forgot to tell me how much fun this can be!.. Proud owner of a 200mm SkyWatch dob and bleary eyes

Out of the box and setup a treat.. didn't look at collimating, too eager to get viewing. And viewing I got! ..

With the moon as it is, a pretty bright night sky probably took out lots of stars but it the moon was of course spectacular, crisp and clear and mesmerising.

And Jupiter ... please tell me they were three of the moons I could see as bright white dots in a lateral line....

Jupiter seemed very white and hard to keep in focus (10mm and 25mm eyepieces..standard with the dob..any suggestions on eyepieces) but well worth the wait in the cold.

I can get a decent viewing spot in the back yard that gives a good view of the sky from south thru to ne - nnw (there's a tree to go next weekend!), so I guess this will be my main learning area.

... back out there tonite...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickontheCoast View Post
Ok..so who forgot to tell me how much fun this can be!.. Proud owner of a 200mm SkyWatch dob and bleary eyes

Quote:

And Jupiter ... please tell me they were three of the moons I could see as bright white dots in a lateral line....

Jupiter seemed very white and hard to keep in focus (10mm and 25mm eyepieces..standard with the dob..any suggestions on eyepieces) but well worth the wait in the cold.
I think you missed Callisto - some distance from Jupiter and the other three big moons around 8pm last night.

Time for some computerised help? Try Stellarium at www.stellarium.org (download free) and zoom in on Jupiter; Skyview cafe at www.skyviewcafe.com (run for free off the internet), click on the Moons/GRS tab to see Jupiter and Saturn up close; or if you really want detail on Jupiter http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/ to download the program free.

Sounds like seeing wasn't good. But if you didn't see two dark bands across the planet, it's time to have a look at collimation.

Quote:
- nnw (there's a tree to go next weekend!)
Eco-vandal!

Quote:
... back out there tonite...
In which case you shouldn't be reading this you should be sleeping!