Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

EQMOD/Stellarium issues

Hey Team,

Happy new year.

I have an issue slewing in Stellarium.

I have ASCOM/EQMOD/APT/Stellarium talking to each other.

The location coordinates are the same in EQMOD and Stellarium.

I turn the mount on (EQ6r pro) and connect it to APT which causes EQMOD to start up. In Stellarium I can see the scope over the south celestial pole.

In APT, when I slew to an object, the scope moves the correct corresponding object in Stellarium.

However, when I slew to an onject in Stellarium, the scope in stellarium and physically moves in the wrong direction.

Not sure what I have done wrong.

Thanks for the help as always.

Cheers,

D
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Looks like your using the planetarium/ Goto function in APT and your co ordinates in APT are northern hemisphere ??
I use APT but as standalone ie: I disable the planetarium function in APT and just use APT to frame , focus and capture ( not Goto ) which works beautifully
If you using EQMOD and Stellarium you don’t really need plate solve in APT as syncing stars around the vicinity of your target object will allow you to slew your scope bang on target in the centre of your field of view of your intended object
Connecting APT , EQMOD and Stellarium together just complicates things and is unnecessary
Hope the above helps
Old 01-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Looks like your using the planetarium/ Goto function in APT and your co ordinates in APT are northern hemisphere ??
I use APT but as standalone ie: I disable the planetarium function in APT and just use APT to frame , focus and capture ( not Goto ) which works beautifully
If you using EQMOD and Stellarium you don’t really need plate solve in APT as syncing stars around the vicinity of your target object will allow you to slew your scope bang on target in the centre of your field of view of your intended object
Connecting APT , EQMOD and Stellarium together just complicates things and is unnecessary
Hope the above helps
The only app I use with APT is PHD2 guiding where I activate the Dither function which is found in the Gear tab, other than that APT is standalone which works seamlessly for framing , focus and capture
Cheers
Old 02-01-2021, 06:36 AM
Startrek (Martin)

D

Keep it simple for now and just use APT for frame focus and capture
I just read through Point craft in APT and it’s a mouthful to learn , you don’t really need it at the moment , EQMOD and Stellarium do a great job at Goto and navigation on their own. I been using it for nearly 4 years and it works beautifully ( even after the meridian too , no automated flip , I just Goto the object again on the other side and line it up with exposures comparing it to the previous pre flip exposure, only takes 5 minutes )
So in the planetarium settings just tick None
Just use my EQMOD and Stellarium procedures ( 3 versions depending on your method of connection) I posted about 6 weeks ago and you will find objects easily
Cheers
Old 02-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
D

Keep it simple for now and just use APT for frame focus and capture
I just read through Point craft in APT and it’s a mouthful to learn , you don’t really need it at the moment , EQMOD and Stellarium do a great job at Goto and navigation on their own. I been using it for nearly 4 years and it works beautifully ( even after the meridian too , no automated flip , I just Goto the object again on the other side and line it up with exposures comparing it to the previous pre flip exposure, only takes 5 minutes )
So in the planetarium settings just tick None
Just use my EQMOD and Stellarium procedures ( 3 versions depending on your method of connection) I posted about 6 weeks ago and you will find objects easily
Cheers
Hey Martin,

You are right. I do not really need Stellarium. Platesolving is all I really need to frame. Just going down this rabbit hole as I am annoyed about what I have done wrong in Stellarium.

I will disable it and keep it somple .

Cheers,

D
Old 02-01-2021, 09:50 AM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Dlish, I had some issues with Stellarium doing all sorts of weird things, but I persevered, making sure that all the settings (focal length etc) were correct and sooner or later got something right (wish I could remember what it was) and it now works fine.

I use plate solving 99% of the time but I kept on going for two reasons;

1) I like to 'find' things in Stellarium to image and

2) I don't like software beating me.

I'd go through every setting you can find and double/triple check it, the answer is in there somewhere and it'll be in configuration.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Startrek (Martin)

D,
Procedures for telescope control with new Ascom Stellarium and EQMOD using EQ direct method with custom EQ cable and EQ direct method using USB2 cable

Cheers
Martin
Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Startrek (Martin)

D,

Here ya go ......

Martin
Old 05-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Dilsh
Eq6r pro

Great. Thanks Martin!