Old 31-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Poita (Peter)

Field Derotator

Am I right in assuming that this Adaptive Optics Guider from Orion would also work as a Field De-Rotator for Alt/Az use?
http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotog...53077.uts#tabs
Old 31-10-2011, 10:42 AM
bojan
amateur

It looks like it would, driven by right software.
But.. $1,999.99 !!!
For that money, you could have EQ6 with extras... and no need for de-rotator (additional component of the system that may go faulty, or needs fiddling with in the dark)
Old 31-10-2011, 11:42 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
Am I right in assuming that this Adaptive Optics Guider from Orion would also work as a Field De-Rotator for Alt/Az use?
http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotog...53077.uts#tabs
Nope, it wont derotate. And I havent read a positive review on it, and I've read plenty of bad ones. Want ao? Go sbig or starlight xpress.

This will derotate though. http://www.optecinc.com/astronomy/ca...yxis/pyxis.htm

I have one but I have not used the derotate function.

Brett
Old 31-10-2011, 11:49 AM
bojan
amateur

Hmm, it says:
Quote:
The SteadyStar AO Guider with Field Rotator not only makes rapid and accurate tracking corrections to deliver pinpoint stars, it also allows you to rotate the camera and off-axis guider without disturbing the focus. That makes finding a guide star much easier. Additionally, the SteadyStar AO Guider with Field Rotator is an ideal solution for imagers with fork altitude-azimuth mounts, including those used with popular catadioptric telescopes. Since Alt-Az mounts cannot move in arcs to match the apparent movement of the sky, the field rotator will do that for you. There’s no need to purchase a heavy equatorial wedge for your fork mount.
So the add is misleading then.... or they were referring to guide camera? Still unclear/misleading... The text above suggests this is also field de-rotator...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Poita (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Nope, it wont derotate. And I havent read a positive review on it, and I've read plenty of bad ones. Want ao? Go sbig or starlight xpress.

This will derotate though. http://www.optecinc.com/astronomy/ca...yxis/pyxis.htm

I have one but I have not used the derotate function.

Brett
Are you sure it won't derotate? There are two models, one with a rotator built in and one without.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

My bad...

I thought it was the older model without the rotator.

Brett
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Field rotators are not cheap, AO units are not cheap. I would be surprised if they could bundle them together for a mere $1999. I suspect that the field rotator is an optional extra.
Geoff
Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Poita (Peter)

Nope, it is included in the price.
If it works, that makes it a pretty good deal, also allows you to find a guide star more readily I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Field rotators are not cheap, AO units are not cheap. I would be surprised if they could bundle them together for a mere $1999. I suspect that the field rotator is an optional extra.
Geoff
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I looked into the orion a while ago, and what steered me off is 2 things:

1. Describing in the manual how to fix a stuck motor with a screwdriver, and from the reviews I have read, it happens regularly. So I dont think it would work terribly well at the remote rig.

2. Drivers: I have had difficulty using orions drivers with mainstream capture programs in the past. I dont think I could get it to work with ccdsoft and hence ccdautopilot. There is some info on using maxim, but I dont know to what extent it is compatible.

I talked to Greg Terrance of fli about making a unit that provided all the parts this unit had but bigger, enough to cover a 16803 chip.

I really like the idea that the orion would work... If it did I would be first in line to buy it. One of the rigs I run hasnt got the back focus to run both rotator and ao, this unit would make that possible. I did send an email off to orion asking questions about drivers a few days ago and I am yet to recieve a reply.

So if anyone has one on order...... Please let me know how it goes.

Brett
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

I sent off a question to orion.

Quote:
Dear Brett:

Thank you for contacting Orion.

We hope to have the SteadyStar working with MaximDL before too long. It is
unlikely CCDSoft will work with the SteadyStar.

Clear skies and good observing,
Rich N.

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

I run a highly automated observatory. Is it possible to run the ao part of
the steady star with ccdsoft or maxim dl?

Thanks
Brett
Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

That says it all doesn't it.... Sorry my money would go to the starlight xpress setup and considering they have two sizes large and small large being for 16803 sensors and small for most others. I have seen them in action and they work flawlessly with Maxim unsure about CCDsoft but no doubt they would be exactly the same.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:57 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
I have seen them in action and they work flawlessly with Maxim unsure about CCDsoft but no doubt they would be exactly the same.
Brendan, sounds like you have never used ccdsoft. Making anything work in ccdoft that is not directly supported by Software bisque is somewhere between difficult and impossible I have found. Hence the comment by orion that it will unlikely that it will ever be compatible with ccdsoft.

I use ccdsoft only because it works better with ccdautopilot and adaptive optics, otherwise maxim works better any nearly any situation with automated systems IMHO.

Brendan do you know if the starlight systems are big enough to cover 16803 chip? I read somewhere that they cover an 11k chip but have not had a lot to do with them, if they did cover a sensor that big, I would consider looking into their system.

Brett
Old 10-11-2011, 12:33 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

mmm I have used CCDsoft before but it was very basic operation Maxim runs very well with AO from the two different people i know that run it but as for auto pilot....

As for the SX-LF they advertise a 60mm clear aperature so i would say that you should be alright with a 52mm diagonal of the 16803. I dont own one but yeah the numbers are on the right side of the foot so to speak
Old 10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Hey brendan.

Maxim works well with with ao, just not with ao AND ccdap at the same time. Maxims ao interface is far superior to ccdsoft.

Brett