Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 08-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Help with connecting MacBook Pro to EQ6 Pro

Hi there,

I hoping someone out there has some experience in using Macs with EQ6 Pro. I am starting out with Astrophotography and am trying to get some experience with a new guide camera and guide scope using PHD2.

I have a MacBook Pro which is plugged into the QHY5L-IIM camera which is recognised in PHD2 fine. Can get this part working.

However the EQ6 Pro I not so sure of. So far I have plugged the supplied RJ45 cable from the camera into the Autoguider port of the mount (is this what they refer to as ST-4?). However, PHD2 won't recognize the mount.

If anyone who is using Macs for guiding and Astro Photo work can advise what I should do to connect these I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks heaps,
Martin.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Wavytone

Also interested - I never succeeded in getting anything to connect to my mount (apart from the handset) - to the point I think there is a fault in the connectors/cables/electronics.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Xeteth (David)

If you're connecting the cable from the guide camera directly into the autoguiding port on the mount then in the PHD2 connection menu for the mount you should select "on camera". This way commands are sent to the mount via the camera.

Note that I've been told by a few sources that this isn't the best way to guide; it should be done directly to the mount (not via the guide cam) but as I'm also relatively new to this I'm not sure on the reason why.

Is your EQ6 one of the new ones that has a USB port on the mount? Or just the hand controller and autoguider ports?

I'm using a Windows laptop not a Mac, so I'm unsure if you can do this, but I can suggest if possible using EQMOD for mount connection and control as it will allow you to do things like plate solving through many programs commonly used (I'm using Astrophotography Tool and love it!).

Edit: it appears EQMOD doesn't work on Mac. However there is EQMAC, you should check out if it'll be what you're after - http://eqmac.hulse.id.au/content/con...ount-important

Last edited by Xeteth; 08-09-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Wavytone

Ah ok. in that case the port on my Synscan handset is probably dead as nothing communicates with it.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
If you're connecting the cable from the guide camera directly into the autoguiding port on the mount then in the PHD2 connection menu for the mount you should select "on camera". This way commands are sent to the mount via the camera.

Note that I've been told by a few sources that this isn't the best way to guide; it should be done directly to the mount (not via the guide cam) but as I'm also relatively new to this I'm not sure on the reason why.

Is your EQ6 one of the new ones that has a USB port on the mount? Or just the hand controller and autoguider ports?

I'm using a Windows laptop not a Mac, so I'm unsure if you can do this, but I can suggest if possible using EQMOD for mount connection and control as it will allow you to do things like plate solving through many programs commonly used (I'm using Astrophotography Tool and love it!).

Edit: it appears EQMOD doesn't work on Mac. However there is EQMAC, you should check out if it'll be what you're after - http://eqmac.hulse.id.au/content/con...ount-important
Hi Xeteth,
Thanks for the info. I also read about the 'on-camera' setting but have yet to give it a go in the real world... will try tonight in any case. I believe it doesn't provide enough data about what the mount is doing. However, a work in progress.
I've read a bit about EQMac as well, but as I'm really green, and a Mac user (ie, we don't normally need drivers for anything) all this talk of installing drivers is a bit of head-fuzz.
Anyway, tonight will provide more data to go on and hopefully some vague success.

Cheers, Martin.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

installing drivers on a mac is a doddle, the eqmac site has all you need just follow the instructions, the beauty with macs is that everything seems to "work" although at times that may not be the case but generally it's foolproof.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:45 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

...So the "Take A Decent Astro-photo Using A Mac" project is coming on. Tonight, as mentioned, I wheeled out the EQ6 and my guide-scope for a couple of hours to test the Mac connecting to PHD2 and the mount being connect through the camera to the ST4 port. PHD2 mount connection setting was 'on camera'.

I'm no expert on PHD2 by any means, in fact it was the first time I'd really used it in anger. The first star calibration struggled a lot, and it whined to me constantly with error messages that there was not enough response from both RA and Dec axis (plus some other stuff about 'dark files'). I slewed around some and found aCentauri a bit higher and to the west. Did the same exercise and it started to settle down. Calibration worked ok, and then it actually started to guide... woo hoo!

After a while I moved on to Antares and guided off that for a while again. While the history chart looked 'choppy' it did start to settle down a bit and smooth out. So all in all, the 'on camera' setting/connection to the mount worked reasonably well considering.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to connect to the mount, but I'll definitely have a go with EQMac soon (thanks Nikolas) - although this would require a R232 to USB adaptor cable, plus driver installs etc, correct? Just not sure how straight forward this method will be.

Anyway, small steps
Old 09-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martncoz View Post
...So the "Take A Decent Astro-photo Using A Mac" project is coming on. Tonight, as mentioned, I wheeled out the EQ6 and my guide-scope for a couple of hours to test the Mac connecting to PHD2 and the mount being connect through the camera to the ST4 port. PHD2 mount connection setting was 'on camera'.

I'm no expert on PHD2 by any means, in fact it was the first time I'd really used it in anger. The first star calibration struggled a lot, and it whined to me constantly with error messages that there was not enough response from both RA and Dec axis (plus some other stuff about 'dark files'). I slewed around some and found aCentauri a bit higher and to the west. Did the same exercise and it started to settle down. Calibration worked ok, and then it actually started to guide... woo hoo!

After a while I moved on to Antares and guided off that for a while again. While the history chart looked 'choppy' it did start to settle down a bit and smooth out. So all in all, the 'on camera' setting/connection to the mount worked reasonably well considering.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to connect to the mount, but I'll definitely have a go with EQMac soon (thanks Nikolas) - although this would require a R232 to USB adaptor cable, plus driver installs etc, correct? Just not sure how straight forward this method will be.

Anyway, small steps
You should have that cable as it came with the mount, maybe rummage through the boxes for it otherwise see if you can buy one they aint too expensive, sidereal trading sell them.

make sure your polar alignment is very very close as that will assist your guiding immensely
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Well done on getting guiding going! I was thrilled the first time mine was going also. Just regarding the mount connection, does your EQ6-R have the USB port like in the pic here?

https://i.imgur.com/QMQm6QQ.jpg

If so you can use a normal USB-A to USB-B, if not then I think you'll need the adapter listed on the EQMAC link.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Ah ok. in that case the port on my Synscan handset is probably dead as nothing communicates with it.
Have you put the hand controller in PC Direct Mode? No communication from laptop to the controller/mount will take place unless you select this mode. Off the top of my head it's in the menu under Utility Functions I believe.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:43 AM
gbeal

I take my hat off to you, and I don't consider myself a beginner, but have all but given up in my attempt to use my MacBook Pro at the mount (NEQ6).

I have used an ugly old windoze based PC at the mount for years, controlled the mount with EQMOD, and guided with PHD in it's various iterations, the latest being PHD2.

When I was gifted my sons dated but excellent MBP recently, I simply assumed it would be like most Mac stuff is, "easy as". I mean Nik even said this in #6 above. WRONG. I gave up after a while. I tried EQMAC to no avail, and even tried a bit of Kstars, Ekos, and even INDI, all went way over my head.

Admittedly I'm a bit older but man it isn't as plug and play as I'd hoped.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

Gary
Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM
gjr80 (Gary)

Hmm, your post struck a chord with me. I am only visual and my sum total of using a computer with my setup has been using a Linux laptop with my Polemaster (though I do have a planetary camera that I am working up to longer term).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
When I was gifted my sons dated but excellent MBP recently,
Picked up my daughters dated but good MBP for a token payment on the weekend. It is smaller, nicer looking and has good battery life and I thought it would have to be easier to use than my current Linux on a very old Acer laptop.

Quote:
I simply assumed it would be like most Mac stuff is, "easy as". I mean Nik even said this in #6 above. WRONG. I gave up after a while. I tried EQMAC to no avail, and even tried a bit of Kstars, Ekos, and even INDI, all went way over my head.
Likewise. The Polemaster app installed and works a treat but then thought I might as well install Kstars for the heck of it but its not having a bar of it. It did run once but not anymore. Haven't given up but the MBP and I are having "a rest for a while".

Quote:
Well I am the other side of 50 but that's not old, really (so I am told).

Quote:
Likewise.

Gary

PS. Maybe the problems are related to the users first name ?
Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I'm now spurred on to give this a go with my mpb in the next few weeks when the holidays begin and get back to all of you.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
Well done on getting guiding going! I was thrilled the first time mine was going also. Just regarding the mount connection, does your EQ6-R have the USB port like in the pic here?

https://i.imgur.com/QMQm6QQ.jpg

If so you can use a normal USB-A to USB-B, if not then I think you'll need the adapter listed on the EQMAC link.
Hi Xeteth, unfortunately my mount is a generation older without that USB plug (nice mount though). Mine has the older RS-232 plug and then an RJ45 style autoguide plug.

Nikolas, I do have the old plug and cable - RS-232 on one end and RJ-45 the other. I'm not entirely confident plugging this into my MacBook yet, especially after reading the commentary in the EQMac website (connecting your Mac to the mount section), as I don't want to fry my Mac. I have to find out what voltages come out of that plug... Anyone?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Martncoz (Martin)

Quote:
I take my hat off to you, and I don't consider myself a beginner, but have all but given up in my attempt to use my MacBook Pro at the mount (NEQ6).

I have used an ugly old windoze based PC at the mount for years, controlled the mount with EQMOD, and guided with PHD in it's various iterations, the latest being PHD2.

When I was gifted my sons dated but excellent MBP recently, I simply assumed it would be like most Mac stuff is, "easy as". I mean Nik even said this in #6 above. WRONG. I gave up after a while. I tried EQMAC to no avail, and even tried a bit of Kstars, Ekos, and even INDI, all went way over my head.

Gary
Mac stuff is easier... generally speaking. After all, there are very few times one needs to load/update drivers and fiddle with all that crap (wasn't ASCOM supposed to fix all that for PC owners??). And speaking of ASCOM, why are they persisting with such out-dated tech? Isn't is about time they re-write that to be cross platform? I don't want to cause a Mac vs PC thing here, but it's almost 2020. Astro gear is really very one dimensional from a development perspective... I guess it must be the economics...there's not enough money in it for developers to really get their teeth into it (with the notable exception of smaller, dedicated people doing micro-projects - some admirable efforts there ala EQMac etc).
Old 11-09-2019, 08:34 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Hi Xeteth, unfortunately my mount is a generation older without that USB plug (nice mount though). Mine has the older RS-232 plug and then an RJ45 style autoguide plug.

Nikolas, I do have the old plug and cable - RS-232 on one end and RJ-45 the other. I'm not entirely confident plugging this into my MacBook yet, especially after reading the commentary in the EQMac website (connecting your Mac to the mount section), as I don't want to fry my Mac. I have to find out what voltages come out of that plug... Anyone?
If they can charge a phone or ipad then it's 5 v
Never had a problem connecting them all up and I have updated the firmware from my mac as well as run stellarium.