Old 26-06-2018, 08:33 AM
glend (Glen)

How are the meals?

Just wondering how folks find the meals provided by the Camp? My camper is self contained as far as a kitchen is concerned, and I can bring what I need to prepare food wise for the duration; but cooking does take some time, gas, etc, and then there is cleanup. Breakfast and Lunch are pretty easy, but going out for dinner does have some appeal. So how do you find the meals provided by the Camp?
Old 26-06-2018, 01:11 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I always found the meals to be perfectly adequate (there was one year where it wasn't - but one in 9 isn't bad) and it kind of made astronomy easy by taking away some of the onerous tasks. Having said that it is no longer as affordable as it once was and last year I simply pack a whole bunch of 'lite 'n easy' meals to microwave. It worked pretty well and I will do the same again this year.

Chris
Old 26-06-2018, 02:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Just wondering how folks find the meals provided by the Camp? My camper is self contained as far as a kitchen is concerned, and I can bring what I need to prepare food wise for the duration; but cooking does take some time, gas, etc, and then there is cleanup. Breakfast and Lunch are pretty easy, but going out for dinner does have some appeal. So how do you find the meals provided by the Camp?
I think the meals are always very good. Good serves of veggies, meats, awesome cakes. No need to bring any food.
Old 26-06-2018, 04:00 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

5and half weeks to go better start packing cant wait
Old 16-07-2018, 09:08 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Getting closer now. Dusting the cobwebs off the gear.
What's the weather been like up there? Typical for the season or wet?
Old 16-07-2018, 11:07 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Been all over the place this last week or 2 here in Brisbane. Had some quite warm days, bit of rain, then last few nights have been crystal clear and freezing. Few more clear nights to come by the looks of it. I've been dusting the cobwebs off by sucking in some photons for a change
Old 16-07-2018, 11:44 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Been all over the place this last week or 2 here in Brisbane. Had some quite warm days, bit of rain, then last few nights have been crystal clear and freezing. Few more clear nights to come by the looks of it. I've been dusting the cobwebs off by sucking in some photons for a change
Freezing is good. I'd rather ice than dew.

PS: Mars will be at the zenith. Is there anybody out there with a massive DOB and some FL who could spare a minute or two to stick a ZWO cam at the eye piece and get a short movie?
Let me know. I have cheese and crackers.

Last edited by multiweb; 16-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 16-07-2018, 12:05 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Pretty sure Chris/onecosmos will have his 16" SDM there, but think those big dobs are allergic to anything but eyepieces in their focusers
Old 16-07-2018, 12:07 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
Pretty sure Chris/onecosmos will have his 16" SDM there, but think those big dobs are allergic to anything but eyepieces in their focusers
That's where you need to create a diversion.
Old 16-07-2018, 01:49 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post

PS: Mars will be at the zenith. Is there anybody out there with a massive DOB and some FL who could spare a minute or two to stick a ZWO cam at the eye piece and get a short movie?
Mars is covered in dust with little detail showing, maybe it will clear but that is what was said two weeks ago too. Look else where imho.
Old 16-07-2018, 01:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:

Mars is very bright, blindingly so, but covered in dust with little detail showing, maybe it will clear but that is what was said two weeks ago too. Look else where imho.
Old 16-07-2018, 09:15 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:

My 20" is set up for photography. Feel free to use it - Not sure which weekend I'll be there, it depends on the weather
Old 17-07-2018, 09:31 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
My 20" is set up for photography. Feel free to use it - Not sure which weekend I'll be there, it depends on the weather
Sounds like a plan. I'll be there the first week-end and the whole duration then driving back on Sat morning.
Old 17-07-2018, 07:34 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
sounds like a plan. I'll be there the first week-end and the whole duration then driving back on sat morning.
+1
Old 18-07-2018, 05:12 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Mars is covered in dust with little detail showing, maybe it will clear but that is what was said two weeks ago too. Look else where imho.
Might need to breakout the minus dijon filter Marc.
Old 18-07-2018, 01:22 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Hi Glen,

Meals have varied over the years. They used to be $6 and very easy and mostly filling, but they have certainly become a lot more expensive - but hardly surprising as costs have risen. Belinda does a great job but I have to say I didn't eat 'out' at all last year as I also have my van with a microwave and 'lite 'n' easy' was in the picture, punctuated by plenty of wine, port and cheese .

The meals at Astrofest are certainly convenient, for the most part tasty enough and sustaining, but I'll be bringing lite n easy again.

Chris

Quote:
Old 18-07-2018, 01:25 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
That's where you need to create a diversion.

Like Jonathan's my 16", which originally belonged to Jack Giles, was designed and built from the ground up with imaging in mind. The poles are shorter than normal which pushes the focus further out to allow for filter wheels and cameras. I will be imaging with the refractor though whilst thoroughly enjoying using my eyes with the 16"
Old 19-07-2018, 12:44 PM
glend (Glen)

I have had to pull out of Astrofest for this year, due to health issues. Hope everyone has a great trip and wonderful dark skies. Maybe next year.
Old 19-07-2018, 01:34 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Like Jonathan's my 16", which originally belonged to Jack Giles, was designed and built from the ground up with imaging in mind. The poles are shorter than normal which pushes the focus further out to allow for filter wheels and cameras. I will be imaging with the refractor though whilst thoroughly enjoying using my eyes with the 16"
The more I think about it is that I'll need FL more than aperture. Might pack up the Mewlon 210 in the boot if I have room. But that Mars weather makes it challenging to get anything on the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Might need to breakout the minus dijon filter Marc.
No need for filters, it's built in mate. I produce green deepsky shots natively.
Old 19-07-2018, 04:47 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
I have had to pull out of Astrofest for this year, due to health issues. Hope everyone has a great trip and wonderful dark skies. Maybe next year.
That's no good