Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

I GOT ASK Wendy what is a Gaga Pit
Old 10-05-2018, 09:05 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Two Lower Camping Ground photos from 2017. Fewer campers last year. Tents and camper vans fit well between the trees. Sometimes get 6 / 7 tent set-ups. Caravans go on the other side of the Tennis court.

And the misty morning photo from 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LCG1.JPG)
191.9 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (LCG2.JPG)
192.6 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (LCG3.JPG)
182.2 KB50 views
Old 13-05-2018, 08:47 PM
QLD_Astrofest (Committee)

Hi Alan,

THIS is a Gaga Pit. And this is what it seems to be about.
"Gaga is a fast paced, high energy sport played in an octagonal pit. The more players the better! Dubbed a kinder gentler version of dodge ball, the game is played with a soft foam ball, and combines the skills of dodging, striking, running, and jumping, while trying to hit opponents with a ball below the knees."

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
I GOT ASK Wendy what is a Gaga Pit
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (slide3-1024x680.jpg)
81.8 KB43 views
Old 31-05-2018, 04:20 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Only a few days left of the early bird rates...

I booked my 5 nights today
Old 31-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

Yet another year I can't make it hopefully 2019 will be different as I hope to be working and can take time off or I will be living in SE QLD and it wont be far to anyhow...1100km is along way.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:58 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thanks Wendy so it looks like a big sand pit
Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Thanks Wendy so it looks like a big sand pit
Don't forget your shovel and sand bucket.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Early bird registration closes soon

Register for Qld Astrofest 2018 now. Early bird rates close at 8pm this Sunday 3rd June 2018.
http://qldastrofest.org.au
Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I've just registered for the last 4 days. Just a quick question, how long do we have to pay for the booking?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Online forms not showing early bird rates?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:04 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Early bird rate

Let me check the forms engine to see what the problem is
Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Early bird rates fixed

Hi all

There was an error in the formula, which is corrected now. You can still get the early bird rate until midnight.

Regards
David
Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM
OuterObsession (Jameson)

Thanks for that dave.

Cheers,
Jameson
Old 08-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstar View Post
The caravan spaces are gradually getting more and more curtailed as Lions put in new equipment for the kids - the latest thing which may be there by August is a Gaga Pit, location on the site unknown. The upper caravan space is next to the Visual observing area, but nowhere is far from anywhere else. It will have to be first come first pick of available spaces. When it runs out, people will have to go to the lower area. I'm attaching the most recent plan of the place from last year.
While I appreciate all the effort to make AF camper/van friendly and understand the spirit for first come etc, the uncertainty about the caravan capability makes this quite a stressful dilemma...it’s tough to justify dragging the van up there without knowing there’s a suitable spot for it.

A couple of nights in my pop-up tent might be my limit this year
Old 09-06-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
While I appreciate all the effort to make AF camper/van friendly and understand the spirit for first come etc, the uncertainty about the caravan capability makes this quite a stressful dilemma...it’s tough to justify dragging the van up there without knowing there’s a suitable spot for it.

Hi Duncan,

We have recently received confirmation that the Gaga Pit will not be installed until September, so it will not impact on this years Astrofest. Lions are complying to the Sommerset Regional Council's regulation on caravans, and so positions are defined by that, and not how the Queensland Astrofest did it in the past. We hope to learn soon the exact position of the future Gaga Pit so as to plan for next year.

Having said that, we have also just been made aware that the land-owner next door is allowing camping and small camper-vans along the fence, but NOT caravans. We are opening negotiations as to see if this is a safe and viable option for us as this could relieve some of the pressure on camping.

I am not fully aware of the level of demand for caravan space this year, so the best bet would be to contact Wendy at registrar_AT_qldastrofest.org.au, outline your projected stay if you would like to be there for most of the camp. Spots will be allocated as people register and requests for preferred positions will be supported as much as possible. We would appreciate as much notice as possible if your plans change so we can maximise the use of these spots.

Hopefully this will help you decide, as we look forward seeing to all our regular and new attendees at the 25th year of the Queensland Astrofest.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:39 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
You could join the world class snorer chorus in the dorms, Dunk
Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD_Astrofest View Post
Hi Duncan,

We have recently received confirmation that the Gaga Pit will not be installed until September, so it will not impact on this years Astrofest. Lions are complying to the Sommerset Regional Council's regulation on caravans, and so positions are defined by that, and not how the Queensland Astrofest did it in the past. We hope to learn soon the exact position of the future Gaga Pit so as to plan for next year.

Having said that, we have also just been made aware that the land-owner next door is allowing camping and small camper-vans along the fence, but NOT caravans. We are opening negotiations as to see if this is a safe and viable option for us as this could relieve some of the pressure on camping.

I am not fully aware of the level of demand for caravan space this year, so the best bet would be to contact Wendy at registrar_AT_qldastrofest.org.au, outline your projected stay if you would like to be there for most of the camp. Spots will be allocated as people register and requests for preferred positions will be supported as much as possible. We would appreciate as much notice as possible if your plans change so we can maximise the use of these spots.

Hopefully this will help you decide, as we look forward seeing to all our regular and new attendees at the 25th year of the Queensland Astrofest.
Thanks for your response! I appreciate there are limited spots, especially for the larger rigs, and it's a hard game of Tetris getting us all in
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You could join the world class snorer chorus in the dorms, Dunk
Yeah nah...not wild about inhaling the drunken emissions that aren't my own or those of a loved one would rather take my chances with the frostbite
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
You're going to wish you booked the whole duration. It's a long way to get there.
Yeah, I have now arranged the extra days, I will be there for the duration.

Just need to sort out how I monitor my imaging gear from the warmth of my camper.
Old 14-06-2018, 07:20 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

*All sorted* thanks David

Not too far off now. I have had some of the most amazing and rewarding views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars lately using the 152mm refractor, Denk binos, 12.5mm dockters and a planetary filter - simply unbelievable. I'm really keen to show people at Astrofest how good these views are, (athough I suspect Nundah's seeing is a lot better than Duckadang), but I need a kindly astronomer to help out. How?

Well I'll certainly have both the refractor and the SDM present but I'll be mostly imaging through the refractor partly because the vestigial EQ8 pier precludes enjoyable viewing being so low to the ground. If on a few nights I could transfer it to a much taller platform I can use it for visual too - mainly for the planets as the SDM obviously blows it away for DSOs.

I had planned to buy a Berlebach Planet that could double for visual and imaging but it is just too much money. What I'm looking for therefore is someone who has something of at least an EQ6 capacity on a tall tripod doing nothing much that could accept a Losmandy style bar. I reckon for visual the EQ6 or similar would perform well enough and provide more comfortable viewing.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by OneCosmos; 26-06-2018 at 01:42 AM.