Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 31-05-2016, 07:48 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Great site in Sydney!

I never thought I'd say this, but finally I've found a site in Sydney that does throw a good sky!!!

It is JJ Melbourne Hill Memorial Reserve right next to the Forest Hill Pony Club, at the end of Thompson Drive in Terry Hills, -33.690985, 151.224965

Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry Hills Obs site.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	200135

I went there this last Saturday. For the first time in many years I saw the Coal Sack from Sydney

It is surrounded by national parks, and even though the busy Mona Vale Road roars right past it, the lights from the road are TOTALLY invisible. It is on top of a ridge and the field is expansive with a great tree line to block out the neighbours. A couple of distant lights from the pony club, but nothing to complain about compared to what the site has to offer. And the Baha'i Temple in the East looks just like a gleaming white observatory dome,

As it is on top of a ridge, and the field is big, if there is a blow on, it can get really cold! Found that out the hard way, didn't I! Go prepared.

Access is easy, and the field is accessible from the car park.

This site is also the obs site for the Northern Sydney Astro Society.

Alex.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:52 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Anyone know a good place near gold coast?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM
JA

Yarra Valley, VICTORIA.

Last night we were at the Little Yarra Steiner School in The Yarra Valley Victoria, about 1h 20min from Inner SE Suburbs Melbourne and witnessed a wonderfully moving performance of The St. John Passion By J.S. Bach. If that wasn't enough (it was great and a credit to the school, all the students and the soloists), nature's miracle was waiting outside - a VERY clear and VERY dark sky. I thought this is defiently an area to come back to for imaging the heavens.

I checked the area on the Dark Site map and it was on the border of dark blue and black at 0.28 on their radiance scale. In fact a few hundred metres further down the road was the start of the black zone, and the reading was 0.02 !! See excerpt from Light Pollution Map and wide view relative to Melbourne.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Yarra Valley Dark Site.jpg)
137.8 KB180 views
Click for full-size image (Yarra Valley Dark Site Wide.jpg)
170.3 KB192 views

Last edited by JA; 01-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Access to Crago or Terrey Hills?

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get back into some (very) amateur observing, and have just moved to Arncliffe, right next to Sydney aiport.

So, I'm definitely looking for darker sites I've done some simple google'ing and come across Crago and Terrey Hills as a couple of good sites near Sydney. What's the deal with access to these? Can complete newcomers use these sites, or is some form of membership required (or preferred)?

I have a 250mm reflector I'd like to setup and learn how to use again properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Adrian.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Crago has an observatory run by Astronomical society of NSW. Terry Hills is an area in the Sydney Basin that has skies a bit less polluted than inner Sydney. Not much more.

Read my previous post re observing in the Mittagong area. Getting there is a much better prospect from your location than going north.

Q. Just what are you wanting to see?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:35 AM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Excellent. Driving south towards Mittagong works for me too. My brother lives down at Stanwell Park... anything down there is going to be darker than my backyard towards the airport...

If you have some suggestions for locations that are used down that way, I'd like to give a few a try.

I'm just going to start with the planets, nebulae and a few open and globular clusters. I expect the first few evenings will be finding my amateur astronomy feet again.

Adrian.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:10 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Let me know if you are heading down. Easier to show you the places rather than try to find them yourself. I am always looking for an observing buddy.
December new moon is pretty busy for me (and many others also), Feb/Mar may be better.

John
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM
snarkyboojum (Adrian)

Great. Thanks for the offer!
Old 22-03-2018, 12:28 PM
brenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Anyone know a good place near gold coast?
I've been wondering the same thing, so I did some google mapping and thought about the car park at Lake Wyaralong Sculpture Park. I haven't been yet, but it looks promising. If you're keen, we can go for a drive?
Old 22-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkyboojum View Post
I've ... come across Crago and Terrey Hills as a couple of good sites near Sydney.
Crago at Mt Bown is run by ASNSW, see http://www.asnsw.com/crago

Terrey Hills - owned by Ku-Ring-Gai council and access is provided by NSAS - see https://nsas.org.au/observing/ This site is IMHO the best you can hope for in the Sydney basin, short of driving 2h up to Blackheath, or beyond. Key aspects of the Terrey Hills site - you can set up on a tar pathway, no bright lights, and its on a ridge with low horizons in all directions. The Magellanic Clouds are easily seen naked eye most nights and the Coal Sack if the transparency is above average. One key aspect of the Terrey Hills site is that it is on a ridge surrounded by trees. if there is a light seabreeze the airflow will be compressed by the ridge resulting in laminar airflow, which means the seeing can be surprisingly good there, yet terrible elsewhere.

One irritation is that the NSAS seem to have developed a fondness for red LED's and had it lit up like a runway to welcome alien UFOs.

Acron Oval in St Ives and Killara Oval on Koola Ave are also good if you want no LED lights, or Terrey Hills is not open (ie other nights), these are surrounded by trees and reasonably dark.

Last edited by Wavytone; 22-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 16-08-2018, 06:01 PM
docboat (Brian)

WA - Wheatbelt

3 hours drive from Perth in the eastern Wheatbelt, out the G Eastern Highway, best using Goomalling/Dowerin route, there is a new set up on a farm far from ambient lights. The proprietor is offering swag tent accommodation and campfire breakfast, but there is also an adjoining house with all mod cons, and plenty of room for RVs too. This would be very suitable for a weekend of stargazing as a club. If there is interest, I will search out the address.

Why do I not know the address? Because I live in the area, and only need to go outside my house to experience the sights. The family have only just now set up the operation, so details to follow
Old 24-08-2018, 03:29 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Crago at Mt Bown is run by ASNSW, see http://www.asnsw.com/crago

Terrey Hills - owned by Ku-Ring-Gai council and access is provided by NSAS - see https://nsas.org.au/observing/ This site is IMHO the best you can hope for in the Sydney basin, short of driving 2h up to Blackheath, or beyond. Key aspects of the Terrey Hills site - you can set up on a tar pathway, no bright lights, and its on a ridge with low horizons in all directions. The Magellanic Clouds are easily seen naked eye most nights and the Coal Sack if the transparency is above average. One key aspect of the Terrey Hills site is that it is on a ridge surrounded by trees. if there is a light seabreeze the airflow will be compressed by the ridge resulting in laminar airflow, which means the seeing can be surprisingly good there, yet terrible elsewhere.

One irritation is that the NSAS seem to have developed a fondness for red LED's and had it lit up like a runway to welcome alien UFOs.

Acron Oval in St Ives and Killara Oval on Koola Ave are also good if you want no LED lights, or Terrey Hills is not open (ie other nights), these are surrounded by trees and reasonably dark.
Thanks for info on Acron and Killara Ovals!

Am I correct saying that Terrey Hills is closed somehow at nights except when NSAS is there?

From what I can see NSAS previously had two other sites: Howson Oval, Turramurra and North Turramurra Golf Club. Anyone knows what happened with them? Still good to visit?
Old 25-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWynter View Post
Thanks for info on Acron and Killara Ovals!

Am I correct saying that Terrey Hills is closed somehow at nights except when NSAS is there?
Correct. There are two gates the council locks.

Quote:
what I can see NSAS previously had two other sites: Howson Oval, Turramurra and North Turramurra Golf Club. Anyone knows what happened with them? Still good to visit?
No access. They were never (and are not) open to the public - and are locked. You had to be an NSAS member to access these. Try and you can expect the police will arrive.

NSAS uses the Terrey hills site now in preference as it is superior in many respects.

Only decent sites on the upper north shore I’m aware of that can be used anytime at night are Acron and Koola ovals. I’ve checked several other ovals too, but most have issues with lights and in all cases you will have to park outside and carry the scope some distance, I have a simple Bunnings trolley for this purpose.

Last edited by Wavytone; 25-08-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 15-09-2018, 12:15 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

Hi Brian,

I'd like to know more about this place. I've just moved to Perth recently.

Cheers,
Arief

Quote:
Originally Posted by docboat View Post
3 hours drive from Perth in the eastern Wheatbelt, out the G Eastern Highway, best using Goomalling/Dowerin route, there is a new set up on a farm far from ambient lights. The proprietor is offering swag tent accommodation and campfire breakfast, but there is also an adjoining house with all mod cons, and plenty of room for RVs too. This would be very suitable for a weekend of stargazing as a club. If there is interest, I will search out the address.

Why do I not know the address? Because I live in the area, and only need to go outside my house to experience the sights. The family have only just now set up the operation, so details to follow
Old 16-09-2018, 11:53 PM
netwolf

Has anyone tried this spot,

Burragorang Lookout
Burragorang Road, Nattai NSW 2570
According to the Light pollution maps its in the blue zone, its about 45min drive from my brother in laws place in Leppington.

https://goo.gl/maps/UNSwMfnFNKv

Google indicates it has a close time of 5pm but I dont see any gates on the entry road etc. Looks like a good spot for widefield of Milkyway, just wondering if anyone else has tried from here?
Old 17-09-2018, 07:17 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Has anyone tried this spot,

Burragorang Lookout
Burragorang Road, Nattai NSW 2570
According to the Light pollution maps its in the blue zone, its about 45min drive from my brother in laws place in Leppington.

https://goo.gl/maps/UNSwMfnFNKv

Google indicates it has a close time of 5pm but I dont see any gates on the entry road etc. Looks like a good spot for widefield of Milkyway, just wondering if anyone else has tried from here?
I tried it before for sunrise and sunset shooting and it was closed. The gates are right after the 'fork' Burragorang Lookout Road and Nattai Bluff Trail. About 1.5km from the lookout. It's ok to walk with a camera and tripod for simple photography, but a bit far to walk with all gear like telescope, mount etc.
Old 17-09-2018, 11:43 PM
netwolf

Thx Ilya thats disapointing wanted to take some visiting overseas family there, had a plan on Saturday night but glad i did not.too far for family to walk at night. I have seen one photo on flickr now taken there a widefield milky way looks good. Any other nearby spots you know of that you can drive up to? Also found wattle ridge farm which has a mark in google but looks like private propoerty.
Old 18-09-2018, 07:20 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I'd say it's a bit tricky to get Milky Way panorama as it's obstructed with trees. You've got pretty much one shot just over the lake.

Unfortunately I do not know any good spots for Milky Way close to Leppington. All best places are past Katoomba. But check the Wombeyan Caves Road. There is a small Wanganderry Road off Wombeyan Caves Road. If you drive along it a bit then there will be lots of open space and it's in blue zone.
Old 24-08-2019, 08:54 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi All,

I know its an old thread. Looking at recommendations for a good dark sky site located in the South East of Melbourne?
Anything around 1hr -1.5 hours.

The current location I go has light pollution from floodlights.

Thanks,
Old 29-01-2021, 01:55 PM
a5tarman

Has anyone here found or know of decent safe locations around Adelaide for observing within 30mins to an hour drive of the CBD?