Old 23-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Skywatcher coma corrector depth

I'm becoming disenchanted with my fast newt. Off round stars, more bloated than I like. I'm considering as a last-minute reprieve (before it is replaced by an apo) for my scope a change in coma corrector. I currently have a Baader MPCC-III.
I'm thinking of a Skywatcher.... Reading its specs, at 100mm long, I'm a little concerned it may jut out into the light column of the scope. I haven't pulled the current imaging train off to get a good measurement through the focuser, but it does look pretty tight. I have a Bintel carbon fibre 200mm f/4 newt.
Can anyone reassure me, or warn me off..... I may not get to properly measure this for a few days....
Old 30-11-2018, 07:53 PM
johnyb (John)

i originally had an f5 newt with a dslr and bader cc all was well
then i bought a sw250 quatro and had problems similar to you. i took the chance and bought the coma corrector for fast scopes. yes its long but for my scope it only really protrudes into the scope by about 15mm. i still had to play around with spacers to get proper focus 55mm spacing was not right in my case and i recall adding a further 1.5mm spacer.

I now get sharp and round stars.
Having said all that, have you played around with the spacing? even with the f4 coma corrector i had to increase the spacing to what was recommended to achieve desired results. The Baader unit is supposed to manage fast scopes quite well i believe.
Old 30-11-2018, 08:31 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Thanks John - are you using the coma corrector I linked? Better than MPCC?
Looking again into my scope, I get the impression at 100mm long it won't protrude past the internal baffles, so might be good.....