Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

stars marvellous stars

Over here in the Philippines we have entered the season of rain and thunder / lightning storms so observing opportunities are few and far between. however last night was one of those few and far between times... at least for about 3 hours it was.

First up was M-57 so I could do a little practising changing from my Meade 26mm to my university optics 6mm. In the 8" LB a little twitch and things move quickly at 200x.

Next I moved into the H-400 and caught NGC's 6781, 6756 and 6755.

6781 fooled me because I was expecting another tiny blue dot but instead this almost M-57 sized blue cloud was constantly showing up at the end of my star hop

I have to admit that 6756 was a serendipitous catch when I centred NGC 6755 at 40x it was just sitting there tiny and forlorn.

The horizon lightning was starting but I managed to bag NGC 6760 a nicfely bright and round globular in the Eagle as well as NGC 6749 which was not bright and round and needed very serious averted vision.

There was still enough darkness to enjoy wandering through the Scorpion but soon the lightning ruined the night vision and the clouds once again ruled the heavens.

But after almost a month of no observing I was a happy camper.
Brian
p.s. only 68 to go on the H-400. All from the back yard (bragging) with either our 4.5 or 8" reflectors.
B
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

'Tis amazing what suffices after a period of no observing. I've been dragging my scope out for snatches of about 45 minutes by the time I've collimated etc just because there a so few cloud free nights at present.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Brian W (Brian)
The Wanderer

It just might be possible that we are addicted. My wife isn't sure what's worse me with no coffee or me with no stars...
B
Old 06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

If no coffee AND no stars, I don't think anyone could live with me
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
pgc hunter

Observing and lightning. Awesome combo.