Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Photo graph Saturn.

I am thinking to have a go thru the eight inch with the little zwo.
I have two barlows a 2 times and a 3 times.
I have in the past run them together but its so long ago but I think I need back focus...anyine running a barlow on a GSO 8 inch f5...
I figure try and get something in Sharpcap but last night the image didnt seem sharp just at prime focus...I could not get lines with the mask...but it looked clear...even yhoihh small I expected a sharper image.
Alex
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

bit of guesswork maybe? I think saturn is dimming atm so i dont know if you could use any of its moons to focus off but thats what Id be trying for, i dont use sharpcap but firecap has a focus guide which works well for the given conditions at the time. I usually up the gain on a wide uncropped view of jupiter or asaturn and try to focus with some moons visible on screen. adjusting slightly with the focus helper too. Then adjust capture exposure settings. if seeing conditions are bad and I'm capturing a few multiminute batches to process I might refocus for each batch to try to make the most of changes in conditions. btw i dont use barlow as for me everything is too blurry regardless. after processing my pics sharpen up nicely even when capture looks blurry, trust in your process and get as good a focus as you can at the time is all you can do i think. I'm hoping to save for electric focuser so i dont wobble my rig.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Sil
Thanks for your good advice.
I did try last night but for whatever reason Sharpcap could not find the camera.
I was so exhausted I gave up and didnt even goto the dslr which was plan B ...not on Saturn but...
I dont think I can get focus with the barlow...to get anything visual I had to put in a diagonal to get distance...on a reflector☺ it worked and a pity I cant have one if doing visual as it was in a great position for viewing.
Thank again I think I am going to miss getting Saturn.
Alex
Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

You using the 1600 ? If so power the camera up first with 12 volts. Doesn't even need the cooler running, just needs to have 12 volts supplied.