Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-06-2010, 01:31 PM
sejanus (Gavin)

Well that rocks. Thanks for that. I'll definitely give it a whirl when I get my mount.
Old 29-06-2010, 03:13 AM
netwolf

How about no polar alignment by using 3 axis? Alt/Alt/Az

http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/ThreeAxisMounts.html
http://threeaxis.sourceforge.net/
Old 23-06-2019, 04:22 AM
netwolf

Sorry to resurect this vert old thread but i saw this on youtube. Please dont focus on the flat earth disproving aspect. But what is interesting is the yse of the drone flight controller to show when a mount is polar aligned the Gyroscope only registers movement in one axis when mount is moved. Just wondering if we could use this in reverse that is polar align until the gyroscope only regsiters movement in one axis?

https://youtu.be/AJOaBGAgyhw
Old 23-06-2019, 07:27 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
If a digital compass or an IPhone can find north/south, why can’t an EQ mount with GPS, current date/time, current lat & long, and other computation, be made to have an integrated azmith adjustment to automatically determine north/south and rotate the azmith of the mount to perfect alignment?

Similarly: If a digital angle gauge/angle meter can find 31 degrees elevation, and an iPhone can tell us if our tripod is perfectly flat or not, why can’t an EQ mount be made to have an integrated altitude adjustment and automatically determine the correct altitude (in conjunction with GPS and current date/time data) and move elevate the mount to the correct azmith?

Is this just a case of cost?

I was surprised when the first GPS telescopes came out, as i thought this was what the “you beaut fantastic GPS!” feature would have given us. But now many years later I’m still surprised there’s no mount on the market that will auto-align its self once plonked down on the ground.

Is it just much harder than I’m thinking it is???

Roger.
I saw a video of a prototype Toast Delight mini tracker mount with a GPS based polar alignment system.

It simply located itself and formed a circle that you adjusted the mount until a cross hair was in the centre of the circle and you were done.

Greg.
Old 23-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post
Sorry to resurect this vert old thread but i saw this on youtube. Please dont focus on the flat earth disproving aspect. But what is interesting is the yse of the drone flight controller to show when a mount is polar aligned the Gyroscope only registers movement in one axis when mount is moved. Just wondering if we could use this in reverse that is polar align until the gyroscope only regsiters movement in one axis?

https://youtu.be/AJOaBGAgyhw
Thats a awesome idea, you would just need to system to adjust the DEC and RA until it detected no change to two of the axis and Im guessing you could build a self contained wedge that would set up at the touch of a button.

Would work even with no view of the SCP?