Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 28-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Hemi

Thanks SF,

I spoke to a local powder coater, who can blast off the oxidation. They also said they could powder coat it black.

Is it a good idea to powder coat the inside of the tube?

Hemi
Old 28-05-2019, 11:13 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Thanks SF,

I spoke to a local powder coater, who can blast off the oxidation. They also said they could powder coat it black.

Is it a good idea to powder coat the inside of the tube?

Hemi

Probably that depends how black the coat is.. If it is shiny, no point in doing it IMO.
Felt may be a better idea as it is thermal insulator.. so the internal air streams will be better suppressed.
Old 28-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Powder coating may be too shiny unless you can see a sample that is as flat as blackboard paint. A good finish but also thick, shiny and heavy.

I was just thinking they could blast it clean to prevent oxidation spreading and you can paint to protect the aluminium and prevent reflections.

Of course you could just clean off the corrosion and touch up by hand if you are covering with felt.

Is the outside ok? Hard to see in the images.
Old 28-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Search CN

This guy just cleaned the inside off with acetone and fine emery paper.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/2...e-today/page-8
Old 28-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Hemi

SF,

I went to a powder coater today (I think its great idea, by the way), he is confident he can blast the oxidation to bare metal and re powder it. He also said he could do the outside of the OTA at no extra charge and to current specs so that the attachment of rear and front cells should not be a problem. Only issue is that his mattest black, still has a slight satin look. Its a darker "proper black" colour rather than Celestron's lighter but matter black.

What are your thoughts on the finish and if I should get the outside done as well? He seems to think it will make the OTA more resistant to future oxidation.

Cheers

Hemi
Old 28-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I am not experienced in flocking but I would think that if it is not mat mat black, don’t do it. Bojan is correct .

Just get it blasted and paint. Powder coating the outside may not be such a problem except that it is thick and may not slip back into the cell as easily as a painted finish.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Hemi

Hi All,

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

The optics cleaned up nicely:

The optics with a mix of Demin. water water, Isopropyl Alcohol, windex and dish soap. The mirror got a second wash with Isopropyl alcohol, and then a rinse with demin. water.

The Alu tube: Sanded down with 1200, 800, 400 grit Sand paper, washed dried and sprayed with a flat black anti corrosion enamel from bunnings.

The baffle was cleaned up and then regreased with Inox M6 from Jay car.

The OTA has been put back together, and a brief test tonight seems to indicate the mechanics are all in order. I am amazed how well the optics have held alignment and collimation. The moon is up (50% waxing) and the seeing is terrible so will leave star testing and collimation for another night.

I will sleep happy.

Thanks to everyone who helped and advised, its been an amazing journey. Most of my research came from multiple sources on the web, and the members of cloudy were also fantastic. Ive learnt a hell of a lot about my scope, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable (exciting and nerve racking, highs and lows) process.

I will build some sort of observatory eventually, as I can't see myself tearing down and setting up each time. The TG365 cover did work well though for 3 years.

Corrosion free optics!

Hemi
Old 11-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Well done . Good to hear the scope is back from the edge.

You will read a lot of discussions on CN about the dangers of leaving your scope out. It simply accelerates the inevitable process of corrosion. Look at any metal item left in an open but protected carport. Dust and moisture and ants will prematurely age an item which is fine indoors away from the night air.