Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Beatlejohn

More advice needed!

Hey guys... so ive only had my skywatcher 6" dob for a couple of weeks and im having fun so far. Finding it a little time consuming to hunt down things i want to look for manually and its a little overwhelming and frustrating really.

I need advice from u guys here... im thinking of upgrading already to a skywatcher GOTO dob... the flex tube collapsible ones. I like the idea of being able to find things a lot faster and using more time to actually enjoy looking at objects instead of just trying to find them. I almost got one of those to begin with but thought the idea of hunting things down sounded fun... and it kind of is and isnt..I also dont want to seem like im just giving up too easy in trying to locate things but i already feel like that i would just rather spend more time looking instead of finding.

Also if i was to upgrade what size should i upgrade to? would 8" be enough? I really like the dobs... suits me that u just plonk it on the ground and look but are there other scopes i should be looking at?
I will probably end up going out of town eventually for some dark viewing but for the most part its going to be back yard for me with a little light pollution but i still seem to get some pretty good views.

So thoughts?
Old 15-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Troy.k

Hi john

I've also had trouble finding objects, I have a few apps but find it difficult to star hop and when I think I have found what I'm looking for I'm never positive if I'm looking at the right object, planets are no worries but I want to see more.

So I have ordered a nexus II from Astro devices in a kit with 2 encoders, it links up to a tablet so once aligned you can see a cross on your star map on your iPad and can be used to search for objects. You could also transfer it to another scope if you upgrade which is what I will be doing.
Website is astrodevices.com give Serge a call or email he has been very quick to reply and has even spent time on the phone answering my stupid newbie question, hopefully will be receiving it late this week or start of next week.
Old 15-08-2016, 08:31 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Did you get a red dot finder yet?
Old 15-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Beatlejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegableguy View Post
Did you get a red dot finder yet?
No chris.... i thought id just get a new telescope instead
Old 15-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Going to an 8" GoTo dob is a good choice. There is a 50% light grasp increase between the 8" & 10" but it is also a fair bit more expensive and a bit more combersome to move around.
Old 15-08-2016, 09:13 PM
thegableguy (Chris)

Well man, you gotta do what you gotta do... but all I can say is that I hated my guidescope, replaced it almost immediately with an RDF, and then never had any major problem finding anything again.

Having said that, I'd totally recommend a bigger aperture! 8" is good - targets will appear nearly twice as bright as your 6". Of if you're going all out, a 10" is closer to triple the light gathering, with an extra bit of magnification too.

I still say you need a red dot finder. Regardless of your scope size and whether it's automated or not, get one and make your life vastly easier. It really is impossible to overstate how much easier they are to use than a guidescope.
Old 15-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Stonius (Markus)

There's a trick to using (straight through) finderscopes that gives them the same advantages of a red dot finder.
  1. Don't squint and close one eye - KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN!
  2. Look at the target spot in the sky where you are wanting to point the telescope
  3. Now move your head such that in one eye you are keeping an eye on the target area, while the other eye looks through the finderscope (you will typically view from a more relaxed distance for this - no eyeballs pressed right against the finderscope! Yes, you probably won't get the full field of view, but meh, it doesn't matter for this method.)
  4. Now move the telescope as if you're trying to place the crosshair in the finder over the target area you're looking at with your other eye. Once you get close, you'll see the object pop into view in the finder too
  5. Fine tune to get it central to the crosshairs and assuming your scope was aligned properly in the first place, the object should be in the eyepiece

Works on mine, anyway. I do have both a finder and a RDF, but I always like to have a backup. Plus the Mag boost of a finder can be good for finding objects that are not visible to the naked eye.

Cheers

Markus
Old 15-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Beatlejohn

Thanks everyone for the advice great bunch of people on here!
I do kind of like the idea of more aperture already.... maybe i could go for 10"... seems as im looking at a collapsible tube it wouldnt be that much of a hassle to move around and i already have my 6" on a trolley that i just push it out into my yard. I shouldve just bought this one of these to begin with lol.
Old 16-08-2016, 12:48 PM
noeyedeer (Matt)

before you spend more money, try this technique I use for objects I can't find. use an app that gives alt Az coordinates of your object, I use mobile observatory or stellarium, then I use another app on my phone called smart tools and it has an angle reader, I just move the scopes height to the altitude of the object and pretty much pan to its azimuth and its usually in my finderscope pretty easily.
others have some thing from bunnings, I forget what they're called, but certainly cheaper then a new scope or encoders ...

Matt
Old 16-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Beatlejohn

Thanks for the advice everyone... i decided to pull the trigger on a 10" collapsible goto from andrews today... thats my spending for a while!
Now ive got a 6" dob for sale i guess
Old 17-08-2016, 01:25 AM
silv (Annette)

but don't think that's as good as it gets.
Next year, you can upgrade to 16" binos!
Old 17-08-2016, 10:09 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

I bought a $20 green laser off ebay and just shine it through the eye end of my straight through finder - points a nice green beam towards the vicinity of the target and you can then just slew the scope until the laser beam is pretty much on the target. Quick look through the finder to make sure it's centred, and bob's your uncle.
Old 17-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Beatlejohn

Yeah maybe i gave up too easy on trying to find stuff myself and spent money on the new scope that i probably really didnt need to but having said that i am looking forward to it and having more bigger aperture will be awesome... and hopefully this is the only scope i will need for a long time and wont need to buy too much else for quite a while.
And hopefully I'll be able to sell my 6" when i get the new one
Old 17-08-2016, 01:05 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I bought a $20 green laser off ebay and just shine it through the eye end of my straight through finder - points a nice green beam towards the vicinity of the target and you can then just slew the scope until the laser beam is pretty much on the target. Quick look through the finder to make sure it's centred, and bob's your uncle.
Technically lasers are illegal in some states and pointing one into the sky anywhere near aircraft or airport approach paths can get you a visit from the police. Never take one to a Star Party or anywhere near imagers.
Old 17-08-2016, 01:13 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Technically lasers are illegal in some states and pointing one into the sky anywhere near aircraft or airport approach paths can get you a visit from the police. Never take one to a Star Party or anywhere near imagers.
Yeah, I did a bit of research beforehand - seems like to have to be a member of an officially recognized astronomical club to own one, and it needs to be less than 1mw (in Queensland at least). It was advertised as 1mw but the actual device says <5mw on the side of it. I guess pointing it at that police chopper the other night probably wasn't a good move...
Old 17-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Mosc_007 (Charles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
There's a trick to using (straight through) finderscopes that gives them the same advantages of a red dot finder.
  1. Don't squint and close one eye - KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN!
  2. Look at the target spot in the sky where you are wanting to point the telescope
  3. Now move your head such that in one eye you are keeping an eye on the target area, while the other eye looks through the finderscope (you will typically view from a more relaxed distance for this - no eyeballs pressed right against the finderscope! Yes, you probably won't get the full field of view, but meh, it doesn't matter for this method.)
  4. Now move the telescope as if you're trying to place the crosshair in the finder over the target area you're looking at with your other eye. Once you get close, you'll see the object pop into view in the finder too
  5. Fine tune to get it central to the crosshairs and assuming your scope was aligned properly in the first place, the object should be in the eyepiece

Works on mine, anyway. I do have both a finder and a RDF, but I always like to have a backup. Plus the Mag boost of a finder can be good for finding objects that are not visible to the naked eye.

Cheers

Markus

Gotta agree with this. I always use a Straight thru finder and its a lot easier with two eyes like you suggest.
Old 18-08-2016, 12:52 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Best of luck with your new telescope.

I have two scopes, an 80 mm Goto and an 8" PushTo (Orion XT8i Intelliscope)

I LOVE the computer assist when I want to use it and I LOVE that I can leave the computer turned off and use the scope manually when I want to do that.

So, enjoy your new scope. You are going to spend a lot more time finding and a lot less time hunting.

You might find this site helpful.

www.tonightssky.com

I use this to prepare my target lists, then I work them with the computer.
Old 19-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Beatlejohn

Thanks... the new scope arrived yesterday and got to give it a run last night. Still have to learn how to align it properly it but i like it so far... and the actual scope is much better and so much brighter... the moon was SO bright and saturn looked much brighter and crisper. Cant wait to hunt out some other targets.
Old 26-08-2016, 07:04 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

So Beatlejohn, what's the verdict on the 10" dob with a Baader Zoom???
Old 26-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Beatlejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
So Beatlejohn, what's the verdict on the 10" dob with a Baader Zoom???
Its amazing
So much easier to see stuff with the 10" and that baader just saves so much fussing around changing eye pieces and the Goto mount has just made things A LOT easier i love it and wish i had just bought this scope to begin with.
I have just ordered a R2 camera kit to give some video astronomy a go... cant wait to get that and test it also.