Old 16-11-2021, 04:23 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Custom white balance for DSLR camera?

Hi, I have a fully modified Canon DLSR,
Would i be correct in saying that even though it is fully modified ( UV filter mirror has been removed ) that i don't need to make a custom white balance or DO i need to make a custom white balance?

I have a dedicated flat panel for making flats,

So if i have to make a custom white balance is this the correct way to do it:

After the camera in is connected to scope and flat panel is on scope,
Set camera to auto, take a image of the flat panel,
Select this image and make it a custom white balance.
Then using this custom white balance, take a series of images of the flat panel and these become your flats.

Then from there on, you always select the custom white balance for doing all your lights, Bias, Flat Darks, Flats, Darks.

Or do i just plan don't need to create a custom white balance even though it is a fully modified DSLR ?

I guess also while i am on the subject, with a DSLR is it worth while taking Bias, Flat Darks and Darks, or just Darks and pick either Bias or Flat Darks, not both Bias and Flat Darks.

I hope i haven't made all that too confusing to try and understand what i am trying to ask.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 16-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

No need for the custom white balance, just shoot your flats as is. As for the darks/bias/flat darks, I've never bothered with flat darks & stopped using bias a while back when I was just doing widefield Milky Way & nightscapes when it was suggested to me that the darks contain the bias info anyway Maybe someone better versed than me can clarify that.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 16-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

If your imaging with a full spec modded DSLR then I recommend to have a read of Jerry Lodriguss’ write up on Custom White Balance for both stock and modded DSLR’s
www.astropix.com ( Using a Custom White Balance for Astrophotography)

Jerry who his one of the most regarded DSLR Astrophotographers in the US, has written the A to Z of Custom White Balance

Well worth reading

I used a stock Canon 600D for 3 years so just set an Auto White Balance AWB which was straightforward. Stacked Raw Cr files in DSS and processed in Startools, only ever took darks , no other calibration frames and my backgrounds always looked ok

Cheers
Martin
Old 17-11-2021, 06:19 AM
RyanJones

Hi Peter,

If you’re Imaging in RAW format then all of your white balancing can be done in post processing. Simply select a region of sky with no apparent gasses or stars ( so black ) and set that as your neutral tone ( even levels of red,blue,green ). Not black because that will make space “ black “ ( 0,0,0, colour ). If you do want to set your white balance in camera, this needs to be done by sun light not by artificial white ( your flat panel ). You can get white balance cards from camera shops. They consist of a white, grey( neutral) and black card. Take a photo of each card while the sun is directly above and then use that to tune in your white balance.

As far as flats, darks and bias. I’ve never used bias but that’s not to say it’s not worth it. Flats and darks really do improve image quality though.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Ryan
Old 17-11-2021, 06:46 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
Will also give that site a bit of a read through as well.
Just thought i would drag out the DSLR for a bit more use and was looking to fine tune the operations with it.
Appreciated.
Peter.