Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 16-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Duke1966

UFO Encounter

15th November 2014

On a friday night in November or December,I was sitting in my car along with my girl friend at the Chelsea beach.
We noticed a green light moving from position to position way out at sea,as if it were looking for something and at times not moving at all.

I started to flicker the head lights of my car on and off to try to get it's attention,which after about 15minutes it did.
The craft started coming towards us at about the speed of a small aeroplane. I took care in noticing the object,it was dark metallic in colour,round and like a flying saucer.

I saw the object to be approximately 80 centre meters in length in the sky which I think would have been at least 120 to 160 meters in size.
May be more…Not Sure…It also had two antennas,one at the front and the other at the rear.
It had two lights,one was green,and the other was white attached to the antenna's.

The UFO had oval shaped windows around it and from that side I counted 10 windows. I would assume if you looked at it from all angles,you would count at least 40 windows all around.
The colour of the windows were white,I tried very hard to see if I could notice anything behind them but could not.
The UFO flew over head at about 45 to 60 degrees angle from where we were observing it from,heading towards in land and over Neapean Highway.

We stayed there a bit longer and noticed it flying back out towards the sea,heading back to where it came from. This time it was at a lower altitude and saw larger than before.
I wound my window down to try to listen to any engine noise,but all I could hear was the noise of air flow,the same noise as you would hear from a air conditioner duct.

I don't know which friday it was, but next morning we heard that hundred's of people saw it at Frankston the same night as we did.
People were being interviewed on the radio station,I remember one police officer had seen it as well and he was also interviewed.
This encounter had nothing to do with the Westall sightings that event took place in April.

I will remember this encounter always as I remember saying to my self it happened not long after the Melbourne Cup had been won by a famous horse. I'm not sure of the year and the name of the horse but the only most famous one at the time was"GALILEE" and that I would never forget it. He won the cup in 1966. I'm assuming it happened then.
I would appreciate if any one else saw this encounter as well because I can't seem to find any information of this event ever took place.

I guess I will have to go to the Melbourne State Library and search the archives.

Duke 1966!!
Old 16-11-2014, 06:06 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
And this has what to do with astronomy?
Jeepers Jen, - chill a bit. At least this is to do with space! You seemed happy enough to debate endlessly the rights and wrongs of our attitudes towards gays, *******s and transgenders recently! Surely a much less clear connection with astronomy!

Why would you then shout this guy down on his first post, which is after all, about an associated topic - which HAS been discussed before.

Let's show the new guy a bit of decorum hey
Old 16-11-2014, 07:19 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

This subject was discussed here in June 2010 and had links to other sites with information, there was apparently a foxtel documentary on this on 4/6/2010 and channel 7 also had a doco on this called the westwall incident.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=62000

Like many here, over my life I have spent possibly 100,s or 1000,s of hours looking into the night sky and never once have I seen a UFO, but many people believe they have, maybe its like fishing I never seem to catch one but many near me do, or maybe its like a good fishing story the big ones always seem to get away.
Old 16-11-2014, 08:11 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anderson View Post
Like many here, over my life I have spent possibly 100,s or 1000,s of hours looking into the night sky and never once have I seen a UFO, but many people believe they have, maybe its like fishing I never seem to catch one but many near me do, or maybe its like a good fishing story the big ones always seem to get away.
Man, I see them all the time... then I load up Stellarium to see what I saw...
Old 16-11-2014, 08:56 PM
csb (Craig)

Yep, this is General Chat. All topics welcome.

UFO? I'll believe it when I see it.

For me, the biggest "evidence" that UFOs have never been seen is that there is no verifiable (non-blurry) photographic proof of them.

I believe when many people gave witnessed the same UFO sighting, that they are ALL truly mistaken.

It is also interesting that UFO sightings have become virtually non-existant in this age of phone cameras & CCTV.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:20 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
And what will that mean for the rest of us, who have not seen it?

Old 16-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I have seen some strange things during my time of observing, a couple witnessed by my wife and my Sister also. Were they UFO's, well yes they were unidentified Flying Objects of some form or another. Still to this day they are unexplained.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have seen around 4 sightings I simply cannot explain. I worked as a pilot for 20 years - never saw anything unidentifiable during day ops, nor even once at night whilst flying. BUT,over 20 or so years of observing the night sky terrestrially bound, I have seen 4 objecrts/lights that I could not explain - including one recent sighting this year I reported here.

Do I think them green men from Archeron? No, but I have NO idea what they were except they were in the sky, lights, and moving - some randomly, some on particular courses.
Old 16-11-2014, 09:56 PM
csb (Craig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
And what will that mean for the rest of us, who have not seen it?
You will be left behind!

P.S. Your comment was very astute.

Last edited by csb; 16-11-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:06 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

I have seen lots of things in my 50+ years that people around me interpreted as UFOs, but which were easily explained, and once I explained, all the other observers concurred - satellites, Venus, unusual cloud formations, etc. (Well, almost all concurred - once or twice there were a couple of "died in the wool" UFO believers who could not be swayed, despite the evidence.)

However, I have two sightings that lasted several minutes each, and despite my best efforts, I and those around me could not explain them away - until after quite a few minutes of observing, when the truth revealed itself.

Incident 1:
I was walking with a few friends along Sherwood Road at about 8:00 pm, which is a straight undulating road near Rocklea Markets in Brisbane - this would have been about 1975, and back then the land was grazing paddocks, with hardly any nearby illumination, but today is heavily trafficked, with lots of industrial lights etc. We saw a classic illuminated UFO shape appear on the horizon ahead of us, coming silently towards us, rising and falling as it came. We watched closely for what seemed at the time like a couple of minutes, but was probably only 30 seconds or so, and were getting quite alarmed as it approached, because it seemed to be seeking us out - we were just about to run for cover when ...
See if you can guess what it REALLY was, before scrolling down for what it turned out to be.

Incident 2:
A few years later (around 1980 perhaps), I and several other amateur astronomers were setting up our telescopes on the Scarborough shoreline (near Brisbane) just after sunset, but well before dark. A mysterious flashing light appeared some distance offshore - we judged it to be half a kilometre or so away, and at an elevation of 50 to 100 metres or so, but it was hard to be sure, as it moved very erratically, and appeared and disappeared quite abruptly. We watched this for several minutes, in which time it moved up and down the shoreline by a kilometre or so in each direction, before it crossed the shore more or less overhead, when it revealed itself to be ...

Incident 1:
It was an unoccupied taxi cab; the rooftop "For Hire" dome light was illuminated, but the road undulations meant the headlights stayed below our line of sight as the cab approached us, so all we saw was a brightly illuminated UFO rising and falling a metre and a half above the ground as it approached. The fact that we were getting quite alarmed as it approached probably meant we were ducking down, aiding the illusion until the cab crested the last rise just a hundred metres or so away from us.

Incident 2:
As many of you may have already guessed, this was one of the classic UFO sightings - a flock of seagulls that were catching the last rays of sunlight, while we were standing in semi-darkness. Because of the light conditions, when the birds wheeled away from us, they disappeared altogether, but when they turned so as to present the underside of their wings towards us, we saw a brilliant flash of reflected sunlight.

Both events are absolutely humdrum everyday occurrences, but were very convincing UFOs with the right light and observing conditions.

Bottom line: Yes, i believe there are other intelligent civilisations out there somewhere - but I don't believe any of them are visiting us!
Old 17-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
what does "p" mean................. only if you would like another response of course........... do not care otherwise!
pat
I could be wrong and mis- reading the :p emoticon but I think csb is blowing you a raspberry.

On topic...UFO's do exists...the debate and question is are their origin extraterrestrial
Old 17-11-2014, 01:35 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Quote:
UFO sightings have become virtually non-existant in this age of phone cameras & CCTV
ever tried taking a piccie after dark with a phone camera.?
I wish you more success than I've had.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:55 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
ever tried taking a piccie after dark with a phone camera.?
I wish you more success than I've had.
But what ever happened to all the ufos (and Loch Ness monsters, sasquatch, etc) that used to visit in daylight hours, that were poorly captured on film by a select few people who supposedly just happened to have a still camera or movie camera handy? Isn't it odd that nowadays when we all carry a HD still / video camera in our pocket, the apparitions seem to be much rarer?

Hmm...
Old 17-11-2014, 04:52 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've cleaned up this thread a bit.

While this thread wasn't the worst example I've seen, it did highlight a recurring trend among some people to 'shoot down' any newcomer who posts something that is 'against the norm'.
Sarcastic and sometimes outright rude replies to newcomers, regardless of the topic, are certainly not the spirit in which this forum was created and nurtured over the past 10 years.

Try re-reading your post before you press Reply - and if there's any chance you might be sounding like an arse, don't post!

And of course this advice isn't just limited to threads started by newcomers - it's advice that can be used all day every day!
Old 17-11-2014, 07:12 AM
csb (Craig)

Thanks Julian for demonstrating how ordinary things can become distorted especially through atmospherics. I've also had a couple of things I have seen that caused me to wonder but they did not come close enough to be revealed. But I doubt they were extraterrestial.

I also believe other intelligent life is out there and that they are probably human.

(Thanks Hans, well spotted. I wonder why didn't the emoticon show?)

Last edited by csb; 17-11-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 17-11-2014, 09:08 AM
csb (Craig)

We should probably get back to Duke1966.

Welcome Duke. Sorry for the odd reception.

So was the info and link posted by Wayne helpful? Was it the same occurrence you mentioned?
Old 17-11-2014, 09:31 AM
TrevorW

"The truth is out there"
Old 17-11-2014, 10:26 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
"The truth is out there"
Absolutely. It is a pretty big universe. We just haven't found it yet.

, Duke!
Old 17-11-2014, 10:40 AM
PCH (Paul)

For my two bobs worth, simple maths and probability tells us we are almost certainly not alone in the universe.

However, keeping in mind the distances involved, whether they'd go to all the trouble of travelling all this way over here at all, let alone to see us without bothering to make it absolutely clear they'd arrived, is a bit unlikely IMO.

And I understand they'd probably have different technology that might make distance not an issue. But if that were the case they'd be here all the time - right? I mean, if we wanted to know about the moon and it were only in the next suburb, we'd be there having a squiz and sucking it dry in no time.

Just my 2c worth
Old 17-11-2014, 10:53 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
And I understand they'd probably have different technology that might make distance not an issue. But if that were the case they'd be here all the time - right? I mean, if we wanted to know about the moon and it were only in the next suburb, we'd be there having a squiz and sucking it dry in no time.
Just my 2c worth
Maybe they have seen enough and don't want to come back. We are not exactly an ideal planet in terms of solidarity etc.