Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2014, 11:36 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Sequence Generator Pro Tips

At Qld Astrofest this year there were so many guys using SGP I figured I needed to give it another try. A friend was getting plenty of assistance from regular users which also helped me up the start of the learning curve.

It would be great to hear any tricks and tips from power users. I haven't really devoured the manual or spent too much time on the Main Sequence forums to be honest. Some initial thoughts on SGP/PHD2 versus Maxim/CCDC, both using a full licence of Pinpoint for plate solving:

Pros:
  • Meridian flips and guiding re-acquisition seem reliable (no point automating if this doesn't work!)
  • Autofocus routines robust and easier for me to understand than FocusMax through CCDC
  • Powerful, configurable graphic interface
  • Love the way you can pause a sequence, refocus or tweak something, then resume
  • Plate solves failing to Astrometry.net (believe later Maxim versions may now do this?)
  • PHD2 now offers very high level of configurability over versions from years ago - which used to be huge Maxim advantage IMHO
  • CCDC very configurable, but impressed with the level of integration between SGP/PHD2 (Maxim/CCDC/FocusMax always seems to leave me scratching my head about pier flip guiding settings, why focusing failed - maybe just hadn't invested enough effort to understand)
  • Love the Polar Alignment routine in PHD2
  • Dithering easily configured
  • Price

Cons or concerns:
  • Setting up equipment in sequence/Control Panel/Equipment Manager seems non intuitive - why wouldn't the Equipment Manager always maintain your current profile settings for example without clicking to reload? I can appreciate the flexibility the extra dimensions add for having different equipment configurations saved, but it seems overly complex figuring out when you're changing current settings, default settings, profile settings, etc
  • Would be nice to be able to see camera status (temp etc) a little bit easier - is Control Panel the best way to see this?
  • Some very minor issues with sub-windows fighting for priority on occasion - the Control Panel would go to the back sometimes when I was trying to manipulate it with the Big Status window

Really kicking myself haven't invested the time to get my FSQ rig properly automated in recent years. Where does all the time go!
Couldn't find a specific SGP thread here but have seen many positive comments in recent years. Does anyone have any tips that took a while to figure out or websites/resources worth checking out?

Thanks in advance.....

Last edited by RobF; 06-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:21 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Setting up equipment in sequence/Control Panel/Equipment Manager seems non intuitive - why wouldn't the Equipment Manager always maintain your current profile settings for example without clicking to reload? Would be nice to be able to see camera status (temp etc) a little bit easier - is Control Panel the best way to see this?
Rob, I thought the same thing regarding it not loading your default setup - I asked the guys however for some reason they couldn't do this. I just select the last sequence from the file menu and this loads your equipment settings. Re camera status, there is a docking module called Temperature that displays the camera temperature and cooler setpoint andanother called Sequence that shows the progress without having to use the control panel or big status window.

Quote:
Some very minor issues with sub-windows fighting for priority on occasion - the Control Panel would go to the back sometimes when I was trying to manipulate it with the Bit Status window.
You should be able to use the control panel button to hide/reveal it.

Quote:
Couldn't find a specific SGP thread here but have seen many positive comments in recent years. Does anyone have any tips that took a while to figure out or websites/resources worth checking out?
Only thing I've found is it is good to start the session with a blind sync to get the parameters set up correctly for Elbrus.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks Peter. Was great to see yourself, Grady, Geoff, Alan, etc in action at AF using SGP. Learned so much. I think Martin and I would have gone insane without all the assistance - always tough figuring out new software in the wild through red cellophane

Thinking about my successes last couple of nights realise SGP has lifted quite a few mind-clouds that were bugging me and seems likely to speed up my portable/semi-fixed setups.

Will try those modules you suggested, especially temp control.
The config thing confused me initially, but agree is seems there are multiple ways to save templates etc from existing sequences and will probably be doing that in future too. Compared to the 4 letter words I uttered for months figuring out the Maxim interfaces (tabs, Options buttons leading to menus, advanced settings, etc etc) this is all pretty small stuff really.

Your post about blind solve/sync is valuable too. This was the only other thing my homemade drift align and syncing script did - once you've yourself set on a single star everything generally falls into place quickly. My technique used to rely on centering a bright star near SCP region in case manual alignment required. Really must invest the time around blind solves.

Actually, do you have to have an internet connection? Now I think about it Geoff said something about a self-installing setup for astrometry.net to trick it into thinking you were online. So much to learn....
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

What about getting RA/DEC co-ordinates in with minimal fuss. I seem to recall people being able to copy to clipboard from Stellarium? Does that work from Starry Night or other packages? (suspect not)

Which planetariums "play" nicely with SGP?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Bit late for me, but this looks good for people starting out with SGP:

http://mainsequencesoftware.com/cont...rst%20Week.pdf
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Actually, do you have to have an internet connection? Now I think about it Geoff said something about a self-installing setup for astrometry.net to trick it into thinking you were online. So much to learn....
You can do a local install of astrometry.net so you don't need an internet connection:

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.co...stallation/691
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
What about getting RA/DEC co-ordinates in with minimal fuss. I seem to recall people being able to copy to clipboard from Stellarium? Does that work from Starry Night or other packages? (suspect not)

Which planetariums "play" nicely with SGP?
I'm using Starry Night and Astroplanner. Under what circumstances do you want to get RA/DEC coordinates into SGP? It already gets these from the plate solves. You can manually enter if you want or import a list from astroplanner (and possibly others) however I just slew to the object based on AP or SN, plate solve and then use centre here function to frame. Once I've got the image framed the way I want it I use one of the subs as the reference image for the next imaging session.

Last edited by peter_4059; 06-10-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
You can do a local install of astrometry.net so you don't need an internet connection:

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.co...stallation/691
Thanks for the reference Peter. Will check it out.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:26 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
I'm using Starry Night and Astroplanner. Under what circumstances do you want to get RA/DEC coordinates into SGP? It already gets these from the plate solves. You can manually enter if you want or import a list from astroplanner (and possibly others) however I just slew to the object based on AP or SN, plate solve and then use centre here function to frame. Once I've got the image framed the way I want it I use one of the subs as the reference image for the next imaging session.
SGP/PHD2 seems to completely hog the EQASCOM interface so I can't get SNP or AP to connect for telescope control. Do you connect them, point, then disconnect, or some other trick I'm missing? (POTH hub?)
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
SGP/PHD2 seems to completely hog the EQASCOM interface so I can't get SNP or AP to connect for telescope control. Do you connect them, point, then disconnect, or some other trick I'm missing? (POTH hub?)
Have you tried to connect POTH to EQASCOM and then SGP/PHD2/AP to POTH? http://ascom-standards.org/FAQs/POTH.htm
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Rob,

I've not had any issues connecting PHD2, AP, SNP and SGP all at the same time and I'm not using POTH. I can have them all connected to EQASCOM without disconnecting however I always disconnect AP before minimising that window as it seems to hang and won't re-maximise - no problem just putting it in the background though.

Pete.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks guys. This wasn't a priority this week, but I did try connecting different planetariums softwares AFTER SGP/PHD2 were established. Its helpful to know it all plays together for you Peter, and Andrew I'll certainly have a look at POTH next as an option.

Didn't want to make too complex for my initial sessions.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Rob, you shouldn't need POTH. Do you want to compare software version numbers?

Peter
Old 15-10-2014, 10:46 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Sorry for delay Peter. Had the astro laptop stashed away.

SGP 2.3.15.2568
PHD2 2.3.1
Astroplanner 2.1
Starry Night Pro Plus 6.4.3
EQMOD V1.271

Currently I've got SGP and PHD2 (and EQMOD) happily running.
If I then open Starry Night, and Connect telescope, I get another EQMOD window opening with "Connect Error Port Not Available".
Old 15-10-2014, 10:56 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Hi Rob, been using SGP since I got my CCD camera earlier in the year. I find it pretty good. I have just started using the filter focus offsets for NB filters. Seems to be working better. At times I was struggling to get reliable focusing with Ha and OIII. LRGB focusing works great.

Brett
Old 16-10-2014, 12:53 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Brett

I've been trying my first NB focusing tonight actually, and came to same conclusion that offset settings likely to be important for those filters.

So are you focusing on L then offsetting, or using the preset steps against each filter but still running autofocus on each filter?

R
Old 16-10-2014, 09:00 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Next question - I wrote a sequence for 4 objects and defined timeslots each would be visible, however SGP stop imaging the first at the designated time but then kept on tracking it all night.

Is there a setting I'm missing to tell it to give up on an object and move on to the next, or do events/sequence have to be calculated to finish at the correct time? (I'm spoiled by CCDC's skip ahead by time or altitude features).

Last edited by RobF; 17-10-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:58 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Next question - I wrote a sequence for 4 objects and defined timeslots each would be visible, however SGP stop imaging the first at the designated time but then kept on tracking it all night.

Is there a setting I'm missing to tell it to give up on an object and move on to the next, or do events/sequence have to be calculated to finish at the correct time? (I'm spoiled by CCDC's skip ahead by time or altitude features).

My fault - the sequence ran ok between trees/weather, and seems to be extraordinarily resilient at restarting through clouds etc.
The rig/setup seems to have a problem responding to mount Parks which is surprising - will have to fiddle with that. Have changed to "Physical" setting for EQMOD after a reference in the SGP forums.
Old 18-10-2014, 01:15 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Sorry for delay Peter. Had the astro laptop stashed away.

SGP 2.3.15.2568
PHD2 2.3.1
Astroplanner 2.1
EQMOD V1.271

Currently I've got SGP and PHD2 (and EQMOD) happily running.
If I then open Starry Night, and Connect telescope, I get another EQMOD window opening with "Connect Error Port Not Available".
I've got:
SGP 2.3.15.2568
PHD2 2.3.1k
Astroplanner 2.1
EQMOD V127l

so all the same as you however I've never had any issues connecting multiple things (including SGP, PHD2, AP, SNP, alignmaster) to EQMOD at the same time.
Old 18-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Using Win7 Peter?
Phil suggested to me it might be an Admin rights thing