Old 20-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Harpspitfire

DSLR CWB question

if you have a baader modded DSLR, you get that pinkish color when doing a daytime photo, but when you set a CWB it gets back to normal for day use, my question is-- since its modified to let more Ha pass, if you set a CWB for astro also to get that 'normal' look- wouldnt that still let the Ha pass since it already modified?
Old 21-09-2009, 02:23 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I don't have a direct answer to you question, but do have to ask why you'd keep the terrestrial CWB setting for astro in the first place? Wouldn't you just set the camera to daylight WB? That's why you modded it, isn't it?
Old 21-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Harpspitfire

thats true- but i noticed if i do a lunar shot the color is off, only on LX does it look right, all the examples i seen showing the mod show the pinkish color shift if you use it like that, i was just wondering if CWB still passes the Ha since the filter was changed
Old 21-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I always used a CWB on my modified 40D when shooting astro. I had 2 set. One for use with my clip in LPS filter and one for use without the filter. CWB means custom white balance, it does not effect what the sensor sees, it effects how the image is processed inside the camera. As you have seen, a CWB makes the modified camera produce true colour daylight images. Same goes for astro shots. I found it made astro images a lot easier to post process.
Old 24-09-2009, 01:33 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

I use nebulosity 2.0, There is a box to pick for Modded 20da or Modded camera white balance. on the camera i use the Daylight white balance as it is 5600 (what the suns wavelength outputs). Ive never had any problems with it so far
Old 25-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Yes, the white balance doesn't affect what the camera soaks up. The hydrogen alpha emissions will be there.

Leave your white balance to automatic and do your colour balancing in post processing.

Regards,
Humayun