Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 01-03-2020, 08:11 PM
leon

Computer wont boot anymore some help maybe please

Hi Guys it seems once again i'm having some issues with this DeskTop of mine.
One day it is working just fine and now it just wont boot up at all, maybe someone could advise a solution or at least tell me what this means.

As soon as i turn it on it comes up with this and that is as far as it will go.

It Says on a Black Screen.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press any key

Now i have no idea of what to do here, some assistance please and how i may at least advance past this point, how can i reboot the machine if it wont go past this point

Thank you.

Leon
Old 01-03-2020, 10:35 PM
StuTodd

Copy and search "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press any key" and let google guide you.

Probably easier than asking here and waiting hours for a reply...
Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Impossible to answer without knowing what operating system you have
Old 01-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

One simple workaround is

1. If you have more than one hard drive (I have 6 for example) disconnect all but c.

2. Boot into safe mode, print this off you can do no harm

https://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how...-the-easy-way/

when in safe mode just hit power restart it will then boot normally

If that does not work print this off

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rebo...I5K4gQaR3JVg39

I doubt it a lot but very rarely C may not be seen in the BIOS and may need to be reset, DON'T play with the BIOS unless you know what version you have and know what uyou are doing, it is dead easy really but can scare some
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dscn0009.jpg)
92.0 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (Dscn0010.jpg)
89.5 KB11 views

Last edited by Ukastronomer; 02-03-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:02 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

posted in error
Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 AM
highlander2287 (Brett)

It is not finding your hard drive or operating system. Sometimes when a computer boots it can be done from the disc which has the operating system on it, inserted in the computer and it boots from there. That is what it means by boot media. The computer would boot from your main hard drive which has the operating system on it. You would need to get into the bios setup to check that the computer is looking at booting from your c drive and not some other drive. It is also possible the operating system is not being recognised due to corrupt files. It may need to be reinstalled or possibly you can run a recovery on it. Do you happen to have the original disc for the operating system that is on your computer. If so put it in and restart the computer and see if it will start from there.

Last edited by highlander2287; 02-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:39 AM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

It's also possible that your C:\ (Boot) drive may simply have become disconnected physically - check both ends of the SATA cable (drive and motherboard).

Otherwise, the hard drive may have been on the way out (was it making any noises?) Had any power spikes?
Old 02-03-2020, 03:56 AM
leon

Thanks Guys I will work with what you have suggested, It is running Win 8.1 has two drives in it and I do have the original OS disc.

I think it is trying to boot from the second drive that does not have the OS on it.

I am really stumped here and am not very confident with wah i am doing but i will plod along and see if i can get it sorted.

Leon
Old 02-03-2020, 04:16 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander2287 View Post
It is not finding your hard drive or operating system. Sometimes when a computer boots it can be done from the disc which has the operating system on it, inserted in the computer and it boots from there. That is what it means by boot media. The computer would boot from your main hard drive which has the operating system on it. You would need to get into the bios setup to check that he computer is looking at booting from your c drive and not some other drive. It is also possible the operating system is not being recognised due corrupt files. It may need to be reinstalled or possibly you can run a recovery on it. Do you happen to have the original disc for the operating system that is on your computer. If so put it in and resart the computer and see if it will start from there.
Just what I said

Old 02-03-2020, 04:18 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Thanks Guys I will work with what you have suggested, It is running Win 8.1 has two drives in it and I do have the original OS disc.

I think it is trying to boot from the second drive that does not have the OS on it.

I am really stumped here and am not very confident with wah i am doing but i will plod along and see if i can get it sorted.

Leon
TAKE CARE when using the windows disk, don't rush as it may ask to RE INSTALL windows and that will over write the drive content and you will lose all, use safe mode first
Old 02-03-2020, 05:26 AM
leon

Thanks Jeremy but the disc wont even run at all and it keeps on coming back to the recovery options in the blue box that you suggested, and they don't want to do much either, I might leave it for a bit as I have been playing with it for hours now.

Really not sure what to do here, but i will keep at it.

Thanks again.

Leon
Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 AM
leon

Just an idea Jeremy, I have two hhd's in the desktop what if i disconnected the C drive, plugged in the second one and reinstalled Win 8.1 on that drive as it really is not much use at present and is actually brand new.

I know the C Drive is OK but it just wont boot from there and I cant get it to do so, I am sure if you were here it would be fixed in 5 minutes.

I have everything backed up and do have the programs that i use as well so nothing will be lost just some time i suppose.

Then maybe in the future when i get back to Victoria in 6 weeks my Computer friend who is excellent at repairs i might add, could get the machine to boot from the the C Drive later on.

Yes/no ??

Leon
Old 02-03-2020, 07:42 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Is this the PC you did a clone of the C: drive? If it is it could be that you have now two boot drives in the machine, so you'd need to disconnect the clone to boot. Check your BIOS as well. Might have switched to the cloned drive as primary disk when you rebooted.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:29 AM
leon

Yea Marc it is, I did get a message that there was a signature clash and then things went south from there.
I have tried everything suggested and nothing seems to help and really am at a loss of what to do.
I will just have to keep bugging you guys until I get it sorted, or as i said take it to my Computer man in Ballarat when i get back there which is not till mid April.

Thank mate.

Leon
Old 02-03-2020, 09:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Yea Marc it is, I did get a message that there was a signature clash and then things went south from there.
I have tried everything suggested and nothing seems to help and really am at a loss of what to do.
I will just have to keep bugging you guys until I get it sorted, or as i said take it to my Computer man in Ballarat when i get back there which is not till mid April.

Thank mate.

Leon
Are you abolutely sure you cloned the correct drive and didn't blank your original boot drive? Otherwise you have two empty partitions in your system and it can't find one to boot from.

If you do have two valid boot drives then unplug the clone (remove it physically) then reboot. If it boots you're good to go. If it doesn't then remove the drive and put the clones instead then reboot again. If you have a valid boot drive it should find it and boot automatically.

If you have another drive in your machine like a data drive then you might have to go in the BIOS setup and select the boot drive manually. Maybe it's trying to boot from the second drive.

Try that first. In any case unplug the clone from the PC.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM
leon

Marc it seems I need to go BIOS setup and find the drive I can get to that setup but cant find the boot menu so i can see what drive i need to allocate as the one to boot from.

Nothing is really working, but i can assure you the new drive was cloned from the original and was not mixed up

Thanks leon
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

When you reboot before the screen comes up press F8 repeatedly and it should bring your BIOS screen where you can go to the HD section and select the boot order.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:47 PM
leon

Well Marc thanks again for your assistance, mate I have been to BIOS and back, been to Boot menu now as well, I did work it out and Googled some stuff an pressed F,buttons all afternoon.

Anyway there is no way this thing is going to boot off the hard drive even though it brings it up in Boot menu, and i can see it, now all it wants to do is re/install Win 8.i

I think I might just do that on the second drive and start fresh, but will the original still be bootable one day when a pro can look at it.

It is disabled now and not plugged in and no power to it as well, what do you reckon.

I have everything backed up and all the programs i use ready to go so it will only be a bit of time to load to this drive.

So the question is this if i take out the original C Drive and put it away could a professional computer person put it back and make it bootable again one day in the near future, because i know it is a good drive and has all i want on it.

Thanks Marc.

Leon
Old 02-03-2020, 05:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

If you unplug all the drives but for one it has to boot from it. If it can't there's a problem with the drive.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy but the disc wont even run at all and it keeps on coming back to the recovery options in the blue box that you suggested, and they don't want to do much either, I might leave it for a bit as I have been playing with it for hours now.

Really not sure what to do here, but i will keep at it.

Thanks again.

Leon
If the CD/DVD will; not run then you have to tell it to in the BIOS

BOOT from CD/DVD

go to BIOS (hold down delete on booting)
GO to BOOT
Set boot from CD/DVD
Save and exit