Old 17-03-2011, 07:41 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Processing help with M78

This image is the result of 100 minutes of lum (10 minute subs) and 40 minutes in each of RGB (5 minute subs at 2x2). It has taken me a while to get this result due to problems with a couple of gradients.

Short of taking more data (which is not going to be possible with the weather where I am) is there a way of reducing the colour blotching in the background? I have managed to reduce it a bit by using Noel Carboni's tools and noise ninja. Also how can I bring out the dust a bit more?

All input appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M87 web.jpg)
155.5 KB70 views
Old 17-03-2011, 08:13 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Rob do levels then curves and then shadows and highlights.
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Rob,

There's /way/ more data in there waiting to be teased and coaxed out.

For this reason, it is my belief that you leave any and all noise reduction until just before saving the image for the web. I feel that running noise reduction routines early or part-way through a processing run severely impairs the finer details in the final composition.

H

Last edited by Octane; 17-03-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Tandum (Robin)

That is pretty blotchy Rob. Levels/Curves seems to bring up the detail but also the colour noise. Have you looked at each sub in the set? Go throught them and see if some are obviously crap or maybe tighten up the quality checks in maxim to kick out the rubbish from the stack.

Also checkout Annie's Astro Actions for gradient removal. I've recently heard of these tools and they seem to work and are cheapish, see attached examples. Disclaimer, I have not used these actions myself even though the actions where used on my example images here, so I don't know if you have to be a brainiac to use them or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M1-before.jpg)
119.2 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (M1-after.jpg)
94.5 KB43 views

Last edited by Tandum; 17-03-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Robin,

Is that your M1? That looks awesome. Like a rainbow-spectrum heart beating in space.

H
Old 17-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Tis mine but too late in the season H. Only got 2 sort of useable O3 subs in that set before the rain came back. My new to me RC8 first light.

Ohhh, and 36mm baader filters in a starlight wheel, first light All 7 filters in one wheel at the same time .... at last.

Last edited by Tandum; 17-03-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:39 PM
TrevorW

Rob it's not too bad actually I had a quick play with auto levels, auto colour, noise reduction and a 1 pixel smart sharpen then increased saturation slightly also a light gradx
Old 17-03-2011, 11:40 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
That is pretty blotchy Rob. Levels/Curves seems to bring up the detail but also the colour noise.
Exactly and that is the problem. I will go through the subs and have a look, thanks.

Has anyone compared Annie's Astro Actions to those of Noel Carboni? They both have a similar list of actions.
Old 18-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Paul Haese

Rob, this object is pretty tough at the best of times. I ended up doing nearly 16 hours of integration time on this object to get it close to what I wanted. I reprocessed this around 12 times before I was happy.

It is really dim and requires far deeper subs than those you have taken. I went with 20 minutes on lum and blue and 15 minutes on red and green. This at least gives a better background ADU to work with and helps prevent noise such as what you are trying to deal with now.

That said the image contains nice data and if you go to this site http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/Process_m8.htm there is a technique that deals with background noise control. Try using that to change the level of noise. I find it works a treat but have modified the technique a little to suit myself.
Old 19-03-2011, 04:30 PM
OzRob (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Rob, this object is pretty tough at the best of times. I ended up doing nearly 16 hours of integration time on this object to get it close to what I wanted. I reprocessed this around 12 times before I was happy.

It is really dim and requires far deeper subs than those you have taken. I went with 20 minutes on lum and blue and 15 minutes on red and green. This at least gives a better background ADU to work with and helps prevent noise such as what you are trying to deal with now.

That said the image contains nice data and if you go to this site http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/Process_m8.htm there is a technique that deals with background noise control. Try using that to change the level of noise. I find it works a treat but have modified the technique a little to suit myself.
Thanks, maybe I'm expecting too much.
Old 20-03-2011, 03:46 PM
TrevorW

Rob as there is a lot of dust in the region this could also be attributing to the blotchy effect you are seeing as per this example (not my work)

M 78 in Orion ASA N16“ f 3,6 Ignacio de la Cueva, Spain http://icueva.wordpress.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m78.jpg)
196.7 KB22 views