Old 17-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Scooter

Which Camera?

HI Folks,

Was going to get a camera for my 12” Newt so thought I would ask for peoples opinions first.

I have been messing around with the DSLR (Nikon D90) at Prime Focus on it so was thinking that I should be getting a camera that I could use for guiding with the DSLR as well as maybe doing Lunar/Planetary stuff in its own right (only tried the DSLR capturing AVI's of jup a couple fo times and whilst I don't have the image scale not sure it will do a good job).

Was trying to cover off a few bases with the one piece of kit and I guess I was happy to spend < $1K.

At the moment I was tossing up between the following but would love to hear peoples thoughts or suggestions.

Starshoot Autoguider ~$450
QHY-5 ~ $380

I know these two are the same camera but I vaguely remember reading some issues with the avi capture etc. so potentially one was better than the other (drivers etc.) given I want to capture planetary avis. How do these stack up as a lunar/planetary cam? Can you do deep space with them? From all I have read they are more than capable for guiding.

DSI II Pro (Mono with filters) ~$600

Slightly more $$ wise but will be able to do deep space so was thinking makes it a more versatile piece of kit. How would it go to guide my DSLR and what would it be like for planetary AVI capture?

DMK21AU04 ~$500

I think it was Mike that recommended this cam as a great choice to guide and do planetary stuff however I think that was awhile ago so how does it stack up against the choices above? Will this do deep space?

Am I right in thinking that with the sub $1K budget the DSLR will be the deep space piece of kit and I should just focus on the guiding and planetary aspects of new purchase (the DSI Pro II was to try and cover all 3)? These might have been my selections but if there are others I haven’t thought off I would love to hear about them as well as your comments on the above choices (pro’s and cons).

Anyway looking forward to the responses so thanks in advance
Old 18-08-2009, 05:21 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
HI Folks,

Was going to get a camera for my 12” Newt so thought I would ask for peoples opinions first.
Am I right in thinking that with the sub $1K budget the DSLR will be the deep space piece of kit and I should just focus on the guiding and planetary aspects of new purchase (the DSI Pro II was to try and cover all 3)? These might have been my selections but if there are others I haven’t thought off I would love to hear about them as well as your comments on the above choices (pro’s and cons).

Anyway looking forward to the responses so thanks in advance
Haven't seen any answers yet to your question, so I thought I'd give you my 2c worth, if it helps

I'm a newbie in the same boat as you, and same budget. Just for background, my scopes are C8 SCT and SW ED100 plus a couple of smaller guide scopes all on an EQ6 plus a SP900NC unmodded guider/planetary webcam.

I already have an unmodded EOS 1000d and just today have made the big decision for me:

I just contacted Gama to order a QHY5 to use for guiding and some planetary playing around. For the time being I'll use the DSLR for deep space happy snaps, with the QHY5 doing the guiding.

My decision eventually came down to matching my astronomy abilities at this time to sophistication and cost of equipment, so I decided to keep it simple for now. (and only cost another $350 for the QHY5, which should be a major guiding help in making better DSLR deep space photos.

After all, it's all just happy snaps until you can afford the big guys stuff

Hope this may be of help in making up your mind.
Cheers
Old 18-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Gama

Scooter, i hate to loose a sale, but you are much better off with the DSI-II pro.
You get a "Real" CCD which is a Sony SuperHad type, and you will just get great images as apposed to the others.

You will also be able to use the camera as a guider as well in the future.

Theo.