Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
thanks john for the list, if we were to record our targets what would you write just some points " i dont to look like a dill writing the wrong stuff"
Hi Peter,

I would advise recording the following information.

Object's name/number
Your observing location
Seeing and/or transparency
Approximate altitude of the object above the horizon
Size and type of telescope used
Eyepiece (s) and resultant magnification (s)
Any filters used
Description of object

The description can be fairly brief. For instance with a target like 47 Tuc, you might record something like, "Large very bright globular cluster with a very condensed intense core". With a target like X Velorum (Dunlop 95) you might record something like, "bright yellow and blue pair with wide separation giving an excellent colour contrast".

You could set this up by adding extra columns to the original "EXCEL" spreadsheet and recording all the information on the spreadsheet.

Cheers,
John B
Old 10-01-2010, 03:55 PM
mozzie (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Peter,

I would advise recording the following information.

Object's name/number
Your observing location
Seeing and/or transparency
Approximate altitude of the object above the horizon
Size and type of telescope used
Eyepiece (s) and resultant magnification (s)
Any filters used
Description of object

The description can be fairly brief. For instance with a target like 47 Tuc, you might record something like, "Large very bright globular cluster with a very condensed intense core". With a target like X Velorum (Dunlop 95) you might record something like, "bright yellow and blue pair with wide separation giving an excellent colour contrast".

You could set this up by adding extra columns to the original "EXCEL" spreadsheet and recording all the information on the spreadsheet.

Cheers,
John B
thanks john ill start to log my seeing on the 600
Old 18-01-2010, 01:30 PM

List recognised by Astronomical League

Hi all,

The list has just been added by the Astronomical League as an extension list to their Southern Skies Telescopic Club.

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclu...y/sskytele.htm

The sad news is you don’t get a formal Astronomical League award or certificate for observing the list. It has been included as something more advanced and an extension of their Southern Skies Telescopic Club. It does give you something to work towards, if you are looking for something challenging with a medium aperture scope.

It's worth keeping in mind that just over 5 years ago there were no Southern Hemisphere lists or awards of any description so there is a fair chance this list could progress to the next level, if there is some interest in it and positive feedback to the astronomical league by the members.

Cheers,
John B
Old 18-01-2010, 06:59 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post

The list has just been added by the Astronomical League as an extension list to their Southern Skies Telescopic Club.
Hi John,

Good to see!
Old 18-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

This thread should be sticky

Thanks John for the work here. I have done few lists mainly my own and a few taken out of old books.

But I will take this one on board and go through it over the next year. I will do it the old fashioned way Star-hop till I get my Argo

Thanks again for your work here
Old 26-02-2010, 02:09 PM
astrospotter (Mark)

Thanks for the tips from a guy from the North side.

Yes thanks John. My first visit to southern skies will be the next new moon in mid March 2010 and objects on your list as well as assorted other lists and recommendations have been very helpful in helping a guy from 'up north' form his targets.

Of course the entire list is out of the question for a 7 night stay but I hope to break the 3000 logged object observations count all done from +35 degrees or higher using the grand southern objects.

The observers from the south do have a better collection of fine objects overall and I look forward to viewing the treats that await. Have put well over 25 hours and counting in setting up lists, charts, priorities so as to make the most of my stay. Also have spent a great deal of time looking at Starry Night pro with all text off so I will not be (completely) lost down in those most excellent southern skies.

'No worries',
Mark
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
MarshMan (Adam)

Hello.

Is that you DG (Dave47tuc), The Hugeman? What have you been up to? I have been doing a lot of deepsky myself lately, and started a few lists of otherwise uncategorized objects.

Catch up with you,

Adam.
Old 17-03-2010, 08:58 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Has anyone created an Astroplanner file for this list - I copied the names into Astroplanner and came up with a list of 579 - don't really want to spend hours working out which ones are left off if someone has already done the hard work...

Anyone?

David T
Old 29-03-2011, 02:20 PM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Also available here
www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/southsky/BambosSouthernSkiesList.XLS

I cant link it properly so please copy and paste it.

This is unmodified and looks like the original list. very good.
Old 20-05-2011, 03:51 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi all

This list and associated files have now been incorporate into the following article:
BAM600 - John Bambury's Southern Skies Observing List

Please use the article to download the files, as you can be sure it'll always be the latest version.

The article includes:
- A zipped version of the BAM600 list
- A text-delimited version of the BAM600 for uploading into Argo Navis
- A zipped version for SkyTools

Thanks!
Old 20-05-2011, 07:44 PM
smitty (Sean)

Well, this should keep me busy for a while.....

Sean
Old 20-05-2011, 08:14 PM
norm

Hi Mike,

I hope John doesn't mind, but attached is as text-delimited version with the month listed first, enabling users to scroll via Argo by month.

Cheers Norm

I removed BAM, but I can edit the file and tag it to the end so John gets credit for this if need be.
Attached Files
File Type: txt BAM600 Southern Skies List in Month AN format.txt (58.2 KB, 243 views)
Old 24-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

What size scope do people think would be needed to complete all 600 objects?
I have always logged my observations but I have never systematically gone through a list like this. Usually I go constellation by constellation through Hartung's or some similar guide.
Should be fun! Best bit is that there are NO photos - only a list of objects. Things always look much more impressive if your expectations aren't raised by a Malin photo!
Old 24-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
What size scope do people think would be needed to complete all 600 objects?
I have always logged my observations but I have never systematically gone through a list like this. Usually I go constellation by constellation through Hartung's or some similar guide.
Should be fun! Best bit is that there are NO photos - only a list of objects. Things always look much more impressive if your expectations aren't raised by a Malin photo!
Hi Grant,

I hope you enjoy working through the list. What scopes do you have?

What size scope you need to observe all the targets is very subjective. The major variables being the skill of the observer and the sky quality. Then again different people's sensitivity to different wavelengths of light can have an effect also. The Horsehead Nebula is a classic example of this. In a 25" Obsession under dark clear skies I see the Horsehead Nebula (Barnard 33) fairly comfortably, without any filters (yup a 25" er helps a lot ). I have had very experienced observers take over the eyepiece and see nothing. The main reason is the Emission Nebula (IC 434) which provides the illuminated backdrop, emits most of its light towards the red end of the visible spectrum. This is clearly evident in the AAT photograph in the attached link

http://spider.seds.org/ngc/ngc.cgi?i+434

What this means is someone with a low sensitivity to red light, no matter how good an observer they are and how good the conditions, will struggle to see it.

I have observed the targets on the list in a variety of scopes over a number of years. The vast majority in my 10" scope (about 90%). Several I have only done in my 18" scope and they can be a tough get in an 18". I have only recently acquired the 14" scope and haven't tried some of the more difficult ones in the 14". I can probably see deeper than 90% of people and I reckon I could get them all in a 14" under excellent conditions. In some cases it also comes down to knowing what you're looking for and using the right magnification to pop them. With some of the dimmer galaxies don't be scared to increase the magnification to increase the contrast. A few of the planetary nebula are small, consequently in a low power eyepiece they will look stellar and you could be looking right at the thing and not know it. Use more power! A couple of the more difficult targets IMO are the ESO Galaxies. For example ESO 350-40 (Cartwheel Galaxy in Sculptor) and ESO 118-31 (Reticulum Dwarf), would be tough in anything under 14".

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
John B
Old 25-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Thanks John!
I used to do a lot of observing with a 10 inch dob, but have been overseas for years. The dob is now interstate and the focal length ( f 5.6) isn't easily transported, so I have a new Celestron 9.25" ordered. Should arrive next week.
In the past I used to read Hartung constellation by constellation (cross checking in NGC 2000.0), then get Star Atlas 200 or Herald-Bobroff and look for new objects. Mostly I had excellent dark skies (Wagga Wagga or Narrabri), so I used that 10 inch for all it was worth.
Even as a kid I used to use a 50mm refractor and took a log book around trying to list as many objects as I could see. BAA star parties usually increased my log book no end!
Now, after a decade out of astronomy, astronomy has changed. The new scope will have an eq mount and goto! I feel like a newbie again! I want to use the GOTO as best as possible and find new objects! The old dob was never that good on double stars, so that is one area I am hoping that new optics will excell at. I am kind of expecting that a quality 9.25" will see around the same amount as my old 10" visually.

Look forward to seeing how many I can tick off... then I might have to track down a star party or two to pinch a look in an 18" or 20"!

I should add that although I wear glasses, my night vision is quite good. I topped night shoots when I was in the RAAF but was a below average shot during day shoots.

Last edited by Gem; 25-05-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: adding
Old 25-05-2011, 08:01 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
I am kind of expecting that a quality 9.25" will see around the same amount as my old 10" visually.
The 9.25 should be close; my XLT C11 is brighter than the GSO 10" dob I had previously.

eg. From my light polluted backyard the area around Carina is filled with nebulosity through the C11, whereas the 10" showed just the brightest parts of the nebula.
Old 25-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
The 9.25 should be close; my XLT C11 is brighter than the GSO 10" dob I had previously.

eg. From my light polluted backyard the area around Carina is filled with nebulosity through the C11, whereas the 10" showed just the brightest parts of the nebula.
Hi Tony,

That could be because the "out of the box" baffling on the C11 is way better than the 10" GSO and Synta dobs. I baffled my 10" GSO dob many years ago by fully flocking the tube, and installing annular knife edge baffles just above the primary and either side of the focuser. This improved contrast and the scopes performance conservatively by 25%. The black paint used on the inside of the Synta and GSO dobs actually bounces an enormous amount of light around. On top of that, the focuser is too close to the front of the tube and allows stray light to enter the focuser, hence the knife edge baffles. I also baffled the focuser.

Out of the box the 10" GSO and Synta dobs aren't a true indication of how deep you can go with a good 10" newtonian from dark skies. With a bit of simple modification they improve dramatically.

Some photos of my 10" scope attached.

Cheers,
John B
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Top End Baffles and Inside Focuser Baffle 2.jpg)
120.9 KB240 views
Click for full-size image (Focuser Baffle.jpg)
33.2 KB216 views
Old 17-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

Update on progress:
97 objects observed so far.
I am counting any object I have observed AND recorded in my log book.

Hmmm.... long way to go! I should have taken better notes over the years!!

NGC 5979 is not on the list, but is quite an easy PN. I can pick it up easily in town under moonlight with the 235mm. Maybe if you ever decided to revise the list, it could make a subsitute appearance...
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

170 and counting...

Anyone have a handy way of getting the SAO numbers for the double stars?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Gem (Grant)
The serenity...

http://www.alcyone-ephemeris.info/search_in_bsc.html

In reply to my own question of SAO numbers!!