Old 15-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

30 Doradus

Clear skies last Friday night,
Tarantula Nebula taken from my backyard using 80x33"subs ISO1600, Hutech Filter + previous data 20x30"subs : Total 54min (Unguided) in good seeing.

Difficulty in framing from the Ghost Head through to NGC2070 using the F5 1250 focal length but managed to fit it in-just!. Testing my patience trying to keep it centred in the DSLR's frame and plate solving manually is a pain, particularly after frequent focus rechecking to another star and slewing back to the target object. The joys hey- I keep saying it but I reckon I'm just about ready for guiding..

DSS/Startools/PS

Cheers
Anth
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TARANTULA 2018 COMPLETED.jpg)
122.8 KB70 views
Old 15-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Imme (Jon)

Awesome work anth. Love the color....love the framing even more.......like how it spreads across the image.

You really get the most out of that setup don’t you. Imagine what you could do with guiding!!!
Old 15-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Nicely resolved and the colour is good
Old 15-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Another great shot from light polluted Melbourne Anthony, you've showed with the right filters and processing skills, good results can be achieved. Nicely done and at 1200mm focal length, your guiding looks pretty well spot on. Guiding? Is it really necessary?
Old 16-10-2018, 07:20 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Thanks Imme, Colin and Mickoid.

The carrot is that guiding will help keep the object from drifting across the frame. I can therefore concentrate on collecting more data rather than constantly re-centering using the synscan controller and loosing valuable time. Its one of those things...if one can be bothered with the effort of manual adjustments or alternatively allowing the guiding software do the work (but that will come with its own hickups too I'd imagine).

Regards,
Anth
Old 16-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Imme (Jon)

Mike, question for you.......have you got yourself one of those new telephone things? I’ve heard you don’t need to be attached to the wall by a cord at all.....mobile phones I think they call them.
It’s the future mike.....right there in front of us! Hahaha.

It’s also that initial targeting anth, the platesolving. No more standing in the dark identifying stars and slewing to it while trying to line up the mount. Again, it allows you to spend more time imaging, less time fiddling.

Mike is right though, you are getting awesome shots unguided so no rush!
Old 16-10-2018, 08:49 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Nicely framed.
Come on - guiding. Get it going. Makes life easier ...
Old 16-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Righto,
Someone then please give me a list of the things I’ll need to get started. Mainly in terms of the programs and wiring. I understand I’ll need a guidescope and Cam. I’ll be running the guiding from the comforts of a chook house/shed from but the scope is not fixed permanently to a pier.... yet. I’m setting up 7m away using an neq6 pro, synscan controller with the heavy 10. I cant see myself using a motorised focuser cause I’ve had to mod my rack and pinion to make it a low profile setup to achieve focus. I’m happy to manually focus using my bahtinov mask. Tracking has been an issue but improved since I’ve acquired the pole master system for polar alignment.

Bring me to the dark side then...
Old 16-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Righto,
Someone then please give me a list of the things I’ll need to get started. Mainly in terms of the programs and wiring. I understand I’ll need a guidescope and Cam. I’ll be running the guiding from the comforts of a chook house/shed from but the scope is not fixed permanently to a pier.... yet. I’m setting up 7m away using an neq6 pro, synscan controller with the heavy 10. I cant see myself using a motorised focuser cause I’ve had to mod my rack and pinion to make it a low profile setup to achieve focus. I’m happy to manually focus using my bahtinov mask. Tracking has been an issue but improved since I’ve acquired the pole master system for polar alignment.

I feel very much like a drug dealer who has just got a new customer hooked on meth.....
Old 16-10-2018, 09:30 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Righto,

Do you want to go cheap or expensive Anth?

Kidding.....

I don't think you will go wrong with the zwo guidescope and asi120m like I am using. If you can wait a couple weeks purchase straight from ZWO to save some $'s.
Guidescope will have the required mounting rings and camera will have a short USB cable. You will need an extension USB cable (powered/repeater would be best).
I believe connection to the ount may be able to be done direct (it does with my eq6), however, if it doesn't you will need to go via synscan controller and go PC direct mode as I explained (this is prob cheapest option). Google for the correct cable type.....you should be able to get it from Jaycar fairly cheap I'd suggest.

......and that's about it!
Old 16-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Righto,

Programs.....as a start download your ascom and relevant eqmod stuff.
Then PHD2.

Next step after that if you want to take the step toward automated imaging you can look at something simple like APT (that's what you saw me using)
Old 16-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Programs.....as a start download your ascom and relevant eqmod stuff.
Then PHD2.

Next step after that if you want to take the step toward automated imaging you can look at something simple like APT (that's what you saw me using)
Astronomy has that effect doesn’t it. But meth may be an extreme analogy hehehe. I’m going to have to get a small guidescope that fits using a dovetail to my tube. Rings won’t wrap around it/ to big. That’s ok I think. Remind me -what’s APT again?
Thanks for the “guidance” or the “sell” / I’ll keep this as a reference for when I take the plunge...
Anth
Old 16-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Imme (Jon)

APT = Astrophotography tool. Imaging program
Old 18-10-2018, 08:36 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Excellent image.
Dont be in a rush to go to the next level if you are getting such good results just get more exposures☺
Take your time and assemble programs ..ascom and sharpcap and plate solver program.
Anyways great job I would be very proud of such a great result.
Alex
Old 18-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Cheers Alex!
I’m most interested in plate solving if it’s straight forward enough. I just want to see if I can control the scope from loosing track of the image as it drifts across the field of view. And by all accounts from advice given, guiding is the solution.
I guess I’ll weigh up the option soon enough.
Thanks for your compliment.

Regards
Anth
Old 18-10-2018, 09:50 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

In my view one should be able to have your mount track unguided.
This means attention to making it work its best ...and have polar near perfect...you find where the mount works and where its not so good and getting balance to help the mount...clean the gears, polish them, more counter balance close in, eliminate vibration and even flex in the set up....pe training is a huge help...know how long you can go unguided and where it plays up and expose within the boundaries you discover...auto guiding is great but it is only to help not cure guiding problems.
If I was getting the results you are getting I would be doing the whole sky and go narrownand and guiding next year...that way you can save the cash☺ or longer if you need.
Alex
Old 18-10-2018, 10:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

When seeking a star to use for focus only use ra or dec ...slack off ra and move the scope until you find a star so you only have to back track along ra to find your target.
Let the mount run and settle after you reposition.
When you notice drift you can determine what you can adjust ..az or alt ...quarter turn or less☺ only one so you are limiting an area for adjustment and note the improvement or not ...use small felt tip pen marking target position on mount ra and dec..can get you real close after a focus detour.

Alex