Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 17-08-2015, 10:23 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Cool The Magnificent Globular Cluster 47 Tucanae (NGC 104)

Hi All,

I'm slowly digging into some of the data I captured on the side while working away on my Antlia deep field project. Here is a quick snap of 47 Tucanae which I have never imaged before so thought it was about time.

Link to large image
Link to full resolution image (5.5MB)

About the image:
This large and bright globular star cluster is the 2nd brightest as seen from Earth, only surpassed by the massive Omega Centauri. Both clusters are Southern Hemisphere objects and are easily visible with the naked eye.
Of the two I personally consider 47 Tucanae to the be most impressive because of its extremely dense and bright core region which is a spectacle to behold, both visually through the eyepiece and photographically as in this image.

47 Tucanae is located around 17,000 light years away in the direction of the Southern constellation Tucana (The Toucan) and appears very close to the Small Magellanic Cloud, one of the two prominent satellite galaxies of the Milky Way.
The cluster spans an angular diameter larger than the full Moon and is one of the most massive globular clusters, home to millions of individual stars contained within its physical diameter of 120 light years.

The cluster consists mainly of old red giant stars with a few very conspicuous blue stars strewn across the field. These are 'Blue Stragglers', stars that are too hot and massive to fit the cluster's otherwise old age. Given the ancient origin of the cluster these stars should by now have turned into red giants but it has been proposed that they are the results of mergers and mass transfers in the crowded environment of globular clusters. A main sequence star can exist for billions of years in the cluster and then at some point in time gain mass from a close orbiting binary, or as a result of a collision/merger, and thereby become more massive and hotter so that it now appears as a blue giant.

It is relatively easy to create Colour-Magnitude (H-R) diagrams from LRGB images of globular clusters which show the different stellar populations. Here is a gallery of H-R diagrams I created from some of my globular cluster images in the past.

Image details:
Date: 23rd June 2015
Exposure: LRGB: 52:30:32:32 mins, total 2 hours 24 mins @ -32C
Telescope: Homebuilt 12.5" f/4 Serrurier Truss Newtonian
Camera: QSI 683wsg with Lodestar guider
Filters: Astrodon LRGB E-Series Gen 2
Taken from my observatory in Auckland, New Zealand

Hope you enjoy this splendid globular. Despite being 'just' a globular this is one of the absolute gems in the sky I think.

Regards,
Rolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (47Tucanae_LRGB_1100x830_lowqual.jpg)
194.7 KB119 views

Last edited by SkyViking; 17-08-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 17-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Great shot Rolf. you really take it up a notch with your recent work, i am particularly fascinated with the write ups you give and the H-R diagrams are incredibly interesting.
Old 18-08-2015, 01:59 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

From over 150hrs down to 2hrs......you're a man of exposure extremes Rolf

Great job on 47 Tuc mate, nice strong colour Personally I can't decide which of the two I like best Omega or 47 Tuc ....I think 47 Tuc is the more pretty one but Omega is the more spectacular

Mike
Old 18-08-2015, 05:59 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Regarding the DIY H-R diagrams, there must be a new category somewhere between amateur and professional, and you are occupying it.

Stunning sharpness, with detailed non-burned-out stars right in the very core, while still showing the faint outer limits.

(There is a very slight systematic colour mis-registration with blue always toward ten o'clock of the other colours.)

Superb.
Old 18-08-2015, 02:58 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

yes very nice Rolf, 47 tucanae is my favourite glob ... much much prettier than omega centauri
Old 18-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Rolf, the colours in that are intense and I love it!
Really nice version of this globular.

Trev
Old 30-08-2015, 07:58 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very nice, Rolf! 47 Tuc was always my visual favourite.