Old 19-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Fine crescent Venus in broad daylight

Venus was showing a fine jewel like crescent last weekend during the Astronomical Society of Tasmania's Orana Star party.

It was easy to find Venus’s position relative to the Sun and the crescent Moon early in the afternoon using the 8X50 finderscope. The view through my 140mm refractor at 62X was glorious - a fine white sliver of a crescent against the fine blue sky background. I find these views more appealing than after sunset when the brightness of Venus overwhelms the field of view.

I very quickly had a long queue of interested observers. Interesting not one attendee had ever thought of observing Venus during the day. A couple of newer members were convinced I was showing them the Moon.

I then had a quick session to help many of the attendees spot Venus through binoculars. We did not have any naked eye observations, despite the crescent Moon being nearby to help with focusing observer’s eyes on infinity.
Old 27-10-2018, 08:19 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Indeed, I just found it, 20 hours after the time of inferior conjunction.

And circumstances here in N Europe are far less favorable. Venus only 18º above the horizon right below the Sun, but I found it with an 80mm with a 22mm Plössl (23x) equipped with an orange filter because sky background is very bright that close to the Sun and low on the horizon.
Gazing at such a bright sky background without the filter results in a pinkish haze over the field of the observing eye for a few minutes.

Last edited by skysurfer; 27-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.