Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Pete,

If you find you have to move the mount to improve PA after doing your large tpoint model for Protrack, you can still use the large model after you have adjusted the PA adjusters to get your PA.

I see your over at the Sb forum so you should be able to access these posts on the issue;
http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/17591.aspx
http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/17...px?PageIndex=1

clear skies
Josh
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Joshua,

Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I missed that post at SB. I stand corrected. I think most users think you need to start over after moving the mount to PA....Isn't there even some sort of statement in the manual saying that as well? Anyway, moot point and very valuable information!

Thanks,
Peter
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
Joshua,

...Isn't there even some sort of statement in the manual saying that as well?
Thanks,
Peter
Im not sure, but thats what recalibration is for. - refitting the terms in portable and permanent setups.

CS.
Josh
Old 13-02-2013, 07:40 AM
rat156

Quote:
Hi Peter,

I think SB changed the way these reports read in an update not to long ago. I think the old report was easier to follow because it would say loosen the west knob, tighten the east knob. No idea why they changed this, but my best guess is that you would be adjusting the mount from the control box side of things, so that would be the orientation. I'm sure this is described in the updated manual (which I havn't got yet).

Peter
It's from the counterweight looking forward, or the reverse of the control panel looking south for us. I liked it the way it was, probably dumbed down for NH people as this would be looking north for them from the control panel.

I just have to remember that left is right and right is left as I sit at the control panel side of my mount.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 13-02-2013, 10:23 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
It's from the counterweight looking forward, or the reverse of the control panel looking south for us. I liked it the way it was, probably dumbed down for NH people as this would be looking north for them from the control panel.

I just have to remember that left is right and right is left as I sit at the control panel side of my mount.

Cheers
Stuart
OK....stand corrected again. Surprising, I would have guessed it would compensate for SH users given that the setting in the mount is obviously SH and previously it knew E and W without needing to reverse those.
Oh well...
Old 13-02-2013, 11:04 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Quote:
Joshua,

Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I missed that post at SB. I stand corrected. I think most users think you need to start over after moving the mount to PA....Isn't there even some sort of statement in the manual saying that as well? Anyway, moot point and very valuable information!

Thanks,
Peter
Josh, not meaning to argue an obviously correct statement you have made, and no less from the author of T Point himself, but I am again looking at my copy of the T Point mnual, page 35, where it very clearly says re recalibration: "recalibration does not alter or change the value of static terms. Only the offset terms IH, ID, and CH are changed." And, on page 32 "for portable mounts, a new calibration run must be performed each time the mount is setup." And "for permanent installations, in order to reuse a model, the physical setup of the mount cannot change, etc...."

In my copy of the manual I can find no statement re recalibrating into a portable mount so that option, given my permanent mount, never entered my head as a possibility even though the option presents itself in TSX when recalibrating. It would certainly be nice to have these sorts of things spelled out in the manual. Now I am glad I made the incorrect statement earlier because otherwise I never would have known.

Peter
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Hello all

have just completed my university assignment and have returned to "fun" imaging. So I'm back to diagnosing this problem.

I've mucked around with collimation and improved it - it still has a way to go but its better.

I've already improved my PA and guiding with the Lodestar works fine. So they are not at fault.

I have elongated stars across the field - all in the same direction.

Could there be some other form of aberration at play here? I'm open to ideas

Pete
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
I've mucked around with collimation and improved it - it still has a way to go but its better.

I have elongated stars across the field - all in the same direction.

Could there be some other form of aberration at play here? I'm open to ideas
Hi Pete,

Try getting an out off focus star in the center of your ccd and make the donut concentric, Stevous67 here on IIS has written an article for this http://www.mpas.asn.au/multipledefoc...ollimation.htm . This will get you very close i believe. After this, other aberrations that can be fixed could be some ccd tilt.

What length star elongation, could they be so long that they are tracking errors or short enough to be miss collimation.

other aberrations, maybe Tilt? what happens when you rotate the camera, does the aberration follow the chip (on the same place of the chip)?

Are you able to post a picture of what your describing?

Josh

Last edited by Joshua Bunn; 12-05-2013 at 09:18 PM.