Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 11-02-2020, 08:08 AM
SB (Chris)

Esprit vs Saxon FCD100 (80 & 102)

Hi Folks,
Currently using ASIAIR with unmodded Canon 550D and 270mm zoom lens. Great fun but hard to get good focus and camera sensor is noisy. I track on an HEQ5 Pro and guide with Orion 50mm with ASI120mm-s.

Looking to get first scope. After months of research I am coming down to Esprit 80 with ASI183MC OSC. This ASI183 sensor has a pixel size that is about right for this scope.

The Esprit 100 is probably too heavy for an HEQ5 Pro however the SAXON (which I believe is the same as the Explore Scientific) FCD100 80 and 102 could work with the HEQ5 Pro coming in at 2.68 and 5.1Kg respectively.

The Esprit 100 has a full frame image circle vs APS-C on the Esprit 80 so I'm not going to waste light with a smaller sensor if I go with the Esprit 80. Have not been able to ascertain the image circle of the Saxon FCD100's - would be grateful if anyone knows this info.

Would be interested in members views regarding this setup and especially Esprit vs the Saxon FCD100's in terms of ergonomics and quality.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Between those I’d personally choose the Esprit 80, especially if you’re going to be using the ASI183. It is very sensitive and very small pixels which are taxing on optics.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:50 PM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
I used to have an Esprit 100 on my HEQ5. Worked perfectly well. Never had an issue with the combo.
FWIW
Gary
Old 12-02-2020, 09:10 PM
casstony

The Esprit is designed and built to a higher standard than the Saxon. If you find a great deal on the Saxon fcd100 it might still do a good job though.
Old 13-02-2020, 09:16 AM
SB (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Hi,
I used to have an Esprit 100 on my HEQ5. Worked perfectly well. Never had an issue with the combo.
FWIW
Gary
Hi Gary,
Thanks for that. Good to know. I'll have a Look at that option. I may need to consider a larger chip sensor (as the Esprit 100 image circle is 44mm which is larger than the Esprit 80 which is APS-C 33mm)?

I did notice yesterday that First Light Optics specs for the HEQ5 Pro were max 11KG payload for imaging and 15Kg for visual. In Aus HEQ5 Pro max payload is specified to be 13.5KG. I have been under the impression that the max payload for imaging on the HEQ5 Pro was half of the rated max payload of 13.5KG (6.75Kg) but asking around this appears debatable.

Given the Esprit 100 is 6.3KG +Camera 700g + guide scope & camera 600g, filter wheel 400g = payload of 8KG

Chris
Old 13-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Hi Gary,
Thanks for that. Good to know. I'll have a Look at that option. I may need to consider a larger chip sensor (as the Esprit 100 image circle is 44mm which is larger than the Esprit 80 which is APS-C 33mm)?

I did notice yesterday that First Light Optics specs for the HEQ5 Pro were max 11KG payload for imaging and 15Kg for visual. In Aus HEQ5 Pro max payload is specified to be 13.5KG. I have been under the impression that the max payload for imaging on the HEQ5 Pro was half of the rated max payload of 13.5KG (6.75Kg) but asking around this appears debatable.

Given the Esprit 100 is 6.3KG +Camera 700g + guide scope & camera 600g, filter wheel 400g = payload of 8KG

Chris
Sky Watcher put a max weight rating on it to denote the maximum weight that can be used long term without damaging the mount. With larger heavier weights and VERY well balanced you could put a 20kg telescope on there BUT you risk burning out the motors and damaging other components.

Some would suggest keeping within 50% of that maximum weight limit for imaging because that’s where you’re going to be working at the HEQ5’s optimum. The closer you get to the maximum weight rating the more difficult it becomes. The more attention you have give to correct balance, backlash settings in guiding ect.

Your HEQ5 will comfortably run the Esprit 100.
Old 13-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Esprit, from personal experience

The Saxon really does "look" cheap and tacky as compared to the Esprit ....... sorry

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1050599.jpg)
45.6 KB170 views
Old 14-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I'm biased as I own an Esprit 100 but it's a great scope and well within your payload limit when sensibly equipped with a camera and guide scope.
Old 15-02-2020, 10:06 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Both are very good telescopes, both do the same job, have similar characteristics etc. what it boilds down to is what are you prepared to pay? Just bear in mind the saxon variant is the same as the explore scientific so you are getting it much cheaper than the ES branded version. The ES versioned ones have good reviews as does the skywatcher ones so it comes down to payload and wallet size.
Old 15-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Both are very good telescopes, both do the same job, have similar characteristics etc. what it boilds down to is what are you prepared to pay? Just bear in mind the saxon variant is the same as the explore scientific so you are getting it much cheaper than the ES branded version. The ES versioned ones have good reviews as does the skywatcher ones so it comes down to payload and wallet size.
This is true, it does depend on your wallet, but if the question is which is the 'better'scope it's got to be the esprit.
Old 15-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
This is true, it does depend on your wallet, but if the question is which is the 'better'scope it's got to be the esprit.
unless you have used both then it's just an opinion. As I said they are both ranked very highly. I agree though the espirit does look better
Old 18-02-2020, 08:10 AM
HowellObsy (John)

I am considering an Esprit but am put off a little by the mass of the unit. It is very heavy for an 80 & 100 size telescope. I don't understand why they make it so heavy ?
Any ideas guys.

Last edited by HowellObsy; 19-02-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:50 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowellObsy View Post
I am considering an Esprit but am put off a little by the mass of the unit. It is very heavy for an 80 & 100 size telescope. I don't understand why they make it so heavy ?
Any ideas guys.
Tks,
David.
They are heavy for their size, but the objective cells and focusers are well made (ie. heavy duty).
While the Esprit 80 is heavy for an 80mm it's not a particularly heavy scope to handle.
Old 24-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Gabriel.V (Gabriel)

Considering the price I would go for the SharpStar 76 ED:

- It is a triplet with a FLP 53 lens,
- Focuser and tube are great,

- The field flattener and reducer cover the full frame and bring the telescope down to f/4.5!

I had the chance to use it looks solid and high quality.
Old 24-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Do they offer the FREE flattener over there with the Esprit, they don't in the UK and that is expensive, if they do then it makes sense.

Weight and quality go hand in hane no cheap materials in the Esprit

No better protection for Australian roads But VERY heavy in the massive case which is £250 on it's own
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1050531.jpg)
168.6 KB153 views
Click for full-size image (P1050530.jpg)
111.3 KB212 views
Old 24-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Do they offer the FREE flattener over there with the Esprit, they don't in the UK and that is expensive, if they do then it makes sense.

Weight and quality go hand in hane no cheap materials in the Esprit

No better protection for Australian roads But VERY heavy in the massive case which is £250 on it's own
Both the heavy duty case and flattener come included in the Australian Esprit package
Old 24-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Both the heavy duty case and flattener come included in the Australian Esprit package
You always get the case, but not the flattener in the UK